Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #821
Heflover
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 5 gallon brew kettle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead View Post
yes you can do that.. however you'll really want to move up to a larger kettle and start doing full boils. or you could always scale down the recipe for a 3 gallon or even 2.5 gallon batch.
Great thanks Mystic!

I may move up in kettle size at some point but I also wanted to improve my skills a bit first.

Is there an advantage flavor-wise to doing a full boil? Are hops or other particles attaching to something in the wort, and will they not be as flavorful if I just add water at the end?

Also, since I'm going to try to do this with weird restrictions, it seems to me I need some weird math to get around it.

The only way I can hit my target gravity with this seems to be to take a pre-boil specific gravity reading.

Is there a handy formula for figuring out how much I need to boil off, knowing that I will add back about 1.5-2 gallons at the end?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #822
brewdat
Recipes 

What is the best kettle size for BIAB?

Old 08-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #823
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I think it is good to have something that will hold at least 10 gallons. You end up with a couple gallons of grain for a moderate strength brew and you need a gallon or so for boil off and up to a gallon loss for transfer and trub. So if you want to end up with 5 gallons you are up to over 7 gallons for boil. Adding 2 gallons for grain and you have 9 gallons in your pot during the mash. If you want to cut that down you can do a gallon or two or batch sparge and save that room. I had trouble getting by with my 8 gallon pot and am loving my 15 gallon keggle.

Rough numbers but I hope that helps.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #824
tjash
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewdat View Post
What is the best kettle size for BIAB?
What I've found in my searching is that most people recommend 2x your batch size. I have only done one BIAB (no-sparge), and a 44 qt Bayou Classic with a steamer basket worked well for my 5.5 gallon batch. I actually ended up with extra wort, but that was due to having to cut my boil short.

You could probably get away with a 15 gal kettle or a keggle for 10 gal batches, especially if dunk sparge (look up "Maxi-BIAB"). May even work for lower gravity 10 gal no-sparge batches. Once you get into bigger beers, 2x batch volume seems to be the STARTING point.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #825
jholen
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Go 20 gal!

Got my 20 gal the other day. Can't wait.

My calculations say that for a 10 gal batch of 1.075 OG gives me an approximate mash volume of 19.81 gallons.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #826
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholen View Post
My calculations say that for a 10 gal batch of 1.075 OG gives me an approximate mash volume of 19.81 gallons.
Wow! That's going to be pushing it during your mash unless you use a batch sparge of a couple of gallons. Not nice to be 1/4" from the top of your pot when you are trying to move around 20some lbs of hot grain. You should be good if you incorporate that. I have done a couple of 1.06 batches in my keggle without too much problem. I did incorporate a 2 gallon batch sparge.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #827
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heflover View Post
Great thanks Mystic!

I may move up in kettle size at some point but I also wanted to improve my skills a bit first.

Is there an advantage flavor-wise to doing a full boil? Are hops or other particles attaching to something in the wort, and will they not be as flavorful if I just add water at the end?

Also, since I'm going to try to do this with weird restrictions, it seems to me I need some weird math to get around it.

The only way I can hit my target gravity with this seems to be to take a pre-boil specific gravity reading.

Is there a handy formula for figuring out how much I need to boil off, knowing that I will add back about 1.5-2 gallons at the end?

you will get better utilization from you hops if doing a full boil. this holds true for extract, partial mash and AG.. not sure if there's any formula out there for how you're doing it.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #828
jholen
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewitt View Post
Wow! That's going to be pushing it during your mash unless you use a batch sparge of a couple of gallons. Not nice to be 1/4" from the top of your pot when you are trying to move around 20some lbs of hot grain. You should be good if you incorporate that. I have done a couple of 1.06 batches in my keggle without too much problem. I did incorporate a 2 gallon batch sparge.
My old kettle is a 10 gal, so some batches pushed the limits of it so I'm used to it.

Don't think I'll do too many 10 gal batches, so figured even maxing out at 1.075 @ 19.8 gals would be 'OK'

Old 08-15-2012, 11:49 PM   #829
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 83

I oalned my brewing buddy my BIAB sack and he returned it w/o cleaning it I have run the sack through the washer twice with hot water and mild detergent trying to remove the mildew spots but the back just seems to be stained. I have thought about boilling it to make sure I kill any of the mildew but even then I am not sure it is Ok to use again. Anyone have an opinion on what to do?

002.jpg  

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 08-15-2012, 11:56 PM   #830
mrgstiffler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I wash mine with bleach after every use. Seems to work pretty well.

Quick Reply