Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #761
jmd1971
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead View Post
congrats!!! glad you got everything dialed in the way you like. For me, I stopped worrying about trub a while back and just transfer everything to the primary. I do use a hops sack to eliminate hops in the primary but the hot and cold break go right in. beer ends up crystal clear in the end.
My problem was all th trub getting sucked into the fermenter when transferring to the keg. My fault as I was trying to get as much as possible out of the carboy & was sucking trub in which was clogging the poppets, etc. Total p-in-the-a.....

I ended up scaling up the recipe a bit to end with 5.5 gals instead of a straight 5 like I was doing in the past & then leaving all the crud behind.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #762
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Well I have a question. After reading 13 pages and finally running out of steam.

I have a 6 gal boil pot. Could I do BIAB but then sparge with say 2 gal and boil down the sparge water some to add to the pot as it is boiling to keep my volume at a little over 5 gal? Yeah the sparge water won't have any hops in it but still in theory it should work right?

Old 06-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #763
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb82 View Post
Well I have a question. After reading 13 pages and finally running out of steam.

I have a 6 gal boil pot. Could I do BIAB but then sparge with say 2 gal and boil down the sparge water some to add to the pot as it is boiling to keep my volume at a little over 5 gal? Yeah the sparge water won't have any hops in it but still in theory it should work right?

if you do this, you end up making beer.. so be careful.

you really should look into getting a bigger pot. That way you'll make even better beer.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #764
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 9

+1 to MysticMead. It is really pretty hard to screw up this part of the process so badly that you don't get "beer". If you don't try to push the ABV you will be fine. You can just boil both until they can be combined and do the final 15 min or so in the single pot to get your flavor/aroma hops right.

However, all beers are not created equal. I have learned the hard way, with BIAB there is no replacement for having a big pot or keggle for brewing those double IPAs and big Stouts. I think that if you like to make beers over about 5% then 10 gallons is the minimum for getting really good efficiency without making a mess. My 15.5 gallon keggle has revolutionized the process. Keep in mind there are very inexpensive aluminum pots out there that work great.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #765
smyrnaquince
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You could also make smaller batches. I have a 6-gallon pot and do 2.5-gallon batches (i.e., half batches). This also lets me make a larger variety of beers to have on hand and not exceed the rate at which I can consume them.

One great thing about not brewing from a kit is that you are not locked into a particular batch size.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:59 AM   #766
Dillonks1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I started brewing BIAB because of your tutorial last year, and instead of converting to a 3V system I just decked out the BIAB setup. Thanks so much for your simple startup walkthrough.

imag1118.jpg  

Citadel c/o 11'

Old 06-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #767
jwalk4
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 19

So... With the BIAB, do you need a false bottom?

Old 06-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #768
Kaz
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk4 View Post
So... With the BIAB, do you need a false bottom?
No, in its simplest and purest form, BIAB requires a kettle large enough to hold all the brewing water you'll need and a large fine mesh bag that fits inside said kettle. I use a 10 gallon kettle and a chunk of voile curtain that I bought at Walmart for $8. Mash with 32qt of water or so and am left with about 5.75 gallons after boil. And it makes pretty darn good beer.

Draft 1: Lightly smoked Weizen
Draft 2: Belgian Wit
Draft 3: Rauchbier

Primary 1: German Scwarzbier
Primary 2:

On Deck: Belgian Brown Ale, Pale Ale, Stout

Old 06-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #769
jwalk4
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I'm not familiar with the Bilchman brew kettles so, I have one last question. Why in step 6 does it say that 6.75 gallons of wort was collected, when according to the graduations on the side there is over 8 gallons of liquid in the kettle? Is the air bubble I see supposed to suspend or something?

Old 06-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #770
mirogster
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk4 View Post
I'm not familiar with the Bilchman brew kettles so, I have one last question. Why in step 6 does it say that 6.75 gallons of wort was collected, when according to the graduations on the side there is over 8 gallons of liquid in the kettle? Is the air bubble I see supposed to suspend or something?
You see it wrong, the bubble it's a level of fluid inside. Therefore 6,75 gal inside--ready for boiling .

Quick Reply