Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012, 01:29 AM   #691
mrgstiffler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmd1971 View Post
Hate to ask, but without paging through all 69 pages of posts, could someone please repost the formula to derive how much water should be added to the kettle based on the amount of grain being used, evaporation, length of boil, etc.?

I wish you could search the thread but can't figure out how. I want to do my first BIAB this Friday - looking forward to it!

Great info, all...
I have a web-based tool in my signature that does all the calculations for you. See if it works for what you need.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #692
scottvin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTheHick

Lots of variables here that are going to be particular to your setup (evap rate and how hard/if you squeeze the bag).

I just mash at 1.5 qt per pound and then add sparge water up to 7 gallons (6 gal batch) over the top of my bag as it sits on a grate draining into my kettle. It's pretty simple. Just plan for boiling off about a gallon over a sixty minute boil to hit your total wort volume.
Does this work well? I currently have a recipe that is too large for mashing in my bk and am trying to figure out how to succeed. . Do you pour very slowly?

Old 05-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #693
flushdrew42
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i love BIAB brewing, but have had inconsistent efficiencies.

here's my process. 1.5 gallon batches. small grain bills.

i use a 2 gallon kettle, clip the bag to the top. i use a preheated cooler (48qt) with hot water in it to mash in. (so grain in bag, bag in kettle, kettle in cooler) for a 75 minute mash. then sparge by rinsing grains with 170* water through bag over kettle.
60 min boil, etc.

my first batch was an APA, 2.75lbs of grains, 155*mash, ended with 1.048 wort.
second batch was a wheat beer, 3lbs grain, 152* mash, 1.044 wort
both spot on from what Qbrew tells me it should be.
next was an irish stout - 2.8lbs of grains (est OG 1.048) 152*mash - wort was 1.036
4th brew - porter - 3lbs grain (est OG 1.051) - 155*mash, 1.050 wort.
5th brew - same porter yesterday - same grist, same mash - 1.030 wort... (added DME to raise OG)...

thoughts? i'm pretty retentive about my process. my cooler is preheated to 160. my strike water is 8* higher than my mash temp, and the #'s hit spot on almost every time.

what do you think my issues are?
inconsistent crush?
brewgremlins?

Drew
off suit brewing
grand island, nebraska
------------------------------
On Deck: APA
Primary:
Secondary: Cascadian IPA

Kegged: Heart Flush Irish Red Ale, Oatmeal Stout, American Wheat

Old 05-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #694
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by flushdrew42 View Post

i use a 2 gallon kettle, clip the bag to the top. i use a preheated cooler (48qt) with hot water in it to mash in. (so grain in bag, bag in kettle, kettle in cooler) for a 75 minute mash. then sparge by rinsing grains with 170* water through bag over kettle.
60 min boil, etc.

next was an irish stout - 2.8lbs of grains (est OG 1.048) 152*mash - wort was 1.036
5th brew - same porter yesterday - same grist, same mash - 1.030 wort... (added DME to raise OG)...

thoughts? i'm pretty retentive about my process. my cooler is preheated to 160. my strike water is 8* higher than my mash temp, and the #'s hit spot on almost every time.

inconsistent crush?
brewgremlins?

first thing to look at is the crush. with BIAB crush the hell out of those grains. If you get your grains crushed for you, have them double crush the grains.

second, how are you measuring your volume? being off in volume can change the OG

Old 05-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #695
mrgstiffler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flushdrew42 View Post

60 min boil, etc.

inconsistent crush?
brewgremlins?
I've found that stirring for different lengths of time can change your efficiency quite a bit. I've done batches with little to no stirring and gotten 60%, then I've done the same batches with 1-2 minutes of stirring at the start and 1-2 minutes after 60 minutes and gotten 85%.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #696
flushdrew42
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

maybe stirring might be the situation, i will stir more with my next batch.

as far as volume i have graduations on my kettle, and i premeasure all my water. i end with 1.5gallons every time. i build my recipes in Qbrew with the batch size preentered.

Drew
off suit brewing
grand island, nebraska
------------------------------
On Deck: APA
Primary:
Secondary: Cascadian IPA

Kegged: Heart Flush Irish Red Ale, Oatmeal Stout, American Wheat

Old 05-10-2012, 12:40 AM   #697
JimTheHick
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottvin

Does this work well? I currently have a recipe that is too large for mashing in my bk and am trying to figure out how to succeed. . Do you pour very slowly?
Works great. I pull the bag out and twist it so it's kind of compacting the grain a bit, then I place it on a metal grate that sits nicely across the kettle. Next take your fist and make an indentation in the very top once it cools and drains a bit. Now you can pour your sparge water into this 'valley'. The rate to pour is metered by slowing it down when you see clear water running down the outside of the bag. I use two gallons of water heated to 150-170 on the stove most of the time. It increases efficiency and allows me to blab in an 8 gallon kettle that would overflow otherwise. I mash at 1.5qt/lb.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:44 AM   #698
dallasdb
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTheHick
Next take your fist and make an indentation in the very top once it cools and drains a bit. Now you can pour your sparge water into this 'valley'.
I love BIAB but I haven't found a "squeeze" or indentation method that doesn't kill your hands from the heat.

Do you use gloves at all?

I've tried multiple gloves, yellow kitchen gloves seem to do okay but still get really hot.

Anyone have a good glove or method to recommend?

Old 05-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #699
bartbert
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a five gallon round Igloo cooler and a stainless steel colander that sits on top of the cooler. I place the bag in the colander and let gravity do its thing for a few minutes. Then I use a cast iron pot lid placed on top of the bag to assist with squeezing. With the cooler sitting on the floor, I can simply use my body weight to press down on the pot lid and squeeze out the wort. I still have to put a hot pot holder over the lid to protect my hands because the cast iron pot lid transfers the heat from the grains quickly.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #700
scottvin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Blichmann gloves are what you need. They work great!

Quick Reply