Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2011, 06:44 PM   #61
Seven
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 107

That turkey derrick is awesome! I like the flashy light on the top too. I may need to get one of those for my brew cave.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2011, 07:00 PM   #62
Junkster
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Nice documentation on your process - well done! After years of brewing all-grain on a homemade 3-tier, propane-fired rig (which I recently sold) I'm building an all-electric BIAB setup and can't wait to put it to use!

Old 03-28-2011, 02:15 AM   #63
edecambra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Kudos to the pics. I am a newer brewer and I do BIAB and I make much better beers.

I think I need one of those blichmann pots too though!!

Old 03-28-2011, 01:34 PM   #64
G_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Very nice Seven!

i've finaly finished setting up my kegging system, and I'm looking to make the leap to AG..

i really like your method, i'm sure it will have a good influence on the way i get myself setup.

Thanks.

Go brew something!!! :)

Old 04-01-2011, 12:07 AM   #65
ChrisHansen
Recipes 

How is the dip tube coming off your valve from the inside of the kettle affected by 20 pounds of grain in a steel turkey fryer pot laying on top of it? Im definitely inspired to make a kettle out of a keg and start brewing this way, but am trying to think of away around this problem.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:26 PM   #66
Seven
Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHansen View Post
How is the dip tube coming off your valve from the inside of the kettle affected by 20 pounds of grain in a steel turkey fryer pot laying on top of it? Im definitely inspired to make a kettle out of a keg and start brewing this way, but am trying to think of away around this problem.
So far I haven't had any problem with the basket resting on the dip tube. I'm sure the water volume does add some buoyancy to the grain so it's not the full weight of the grains resting on the dip tube.

Some other ideas to better support the grain basket:
  • Add a wire rack or something else to the bottom of the kettle to support the basket
  • Modify the basket by adding some legs or supports so it rests on the bottom of the kettle

This is a good question you've asked... be sure to let us know what you decide to do!

Old 04-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #67
wrench
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHansen View Post
I haven't finished collecting and assembling for my keggle BIAB setup yet, but I plan to make a "shelf" out of this to cover the heating element, dip tube, etc. It will serve double duty to keep the weight of grain off weaker components, and also keep the bag from direct contact with the element to prevent melting. I just haven't decided if I'm going to cut and bend the sheet into an inverted U so that it acts as a 3-sided cage, or just cut it in a circle and use SS bolts as feet to raise it to the correct height (which would look like a tall, poorly fitting false bottom).

Old 04-01-2011, 07:47 PM   #68
gunner65
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench View Post
I haven't finished collecting and assembling for my keggle BIAB setup yet, but I plan to make a "shelf" out of this to cover the heating element, dip tube, etc. It will serve double duty to keep the weight of grain off weaker components, and also keep the bag from direct contact with the element to prevent melting. I just haven't decided if I'm going to cut and bend the sheet into an inverted U so that it acts as a 3-sided cage, or just cut it in a circle and use SS bolts as feet to raise it to the correct height (which would look like a tall, poorly fitting false bottom).
I made a "cage" out of that same material but it was a PITA at times and the bag would get caught on it. I dithched it all together and my bag rest right on top of my 5500w ULWD element no problems with scorching the grain or burning the bag. The element easily supports the weight.

Single Vessel BIAB is all I need....Until we figure out the no vessel technique.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:50 AM   #69
Opivy
Recipes 

Well, I did my first BIAB (and AG actually) last saturday.

Didn't have the proper equipment to take a gravity reading pre-boil so don't have much to say -

except for I ended up with 6 gallons after my 60 minute boil. (so my hops and irish moss and all that ended up staying in about 30 minutes longer till flame off)

---
but I was wondering if anyone does BIAB and sparges?

Old 04-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #70
ChrisHansen
Recipes 

Some other ideas to better support the grain basket:

• Add a wire rack or something else to the bottom of the kettle to support the basket
  • Modify the basket by adding some legs or supports so it rests on the bottom of the kettle

This is a good question you've asked... be sure to let us know what you decide to do![/QUOTE]

I like the idea of putting legs on the basket the best, I think I'll give that method a try once I get all the pieces together! Thanks!

Quick Reply