Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #621
Seven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sippin37 View Post
Wait, I thought rice hulls were only needed when mashing in a cooler to prevent a stuck sparge. Is that correct? May be a dumb question but I an doing my first BIAB this weekend so wanted to see what use rice hulls are really for. Thanks
I always skip the rice hulls with BIAB. I tried them once when brewing a pumpkin ale but it was a nightmare to drain. Never again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2012, 12:49 AM   #622
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sippin37 View Post
Wait, I thought rice hulls were only needed when mashing in a cooler to prevent a stuck sparge. Is that correct? May be a dumb question but I an doing my first BIAB this weekend so wanted to see what use rice hulls are really for. Thanks

normally yes rice hulls are used to prevent stuck sparges. They can also be used if doing a BIAB that includes 3lbs of pumpkin puree or if doing a 100% wheat beer to help with draining. The 100% wheat beer I did was very slow to drain but since it was a small grain bill it wasn't that heavy. The pumpkin ale on the other hand was heavy as hell and I had no choice but to stand there holding it while it drained. It was the only time I wished for a pulley.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:12 AM   #623
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Okay, that makes sense. I'm glad my first brew pot was really a turkey fryer pot. It is going to come in handy with the strainer pot that I can just set my bag of grains in while I bring the wort up to a boil. Then just dump whatever extra wort I collect from the draining grains into my brew keggle. Excited to see what kind of efficiency I can get.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #624
Dillonks1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just scored a brand new 15 gallon boilermaker for $250 from a charity event at my local home brew store. Can't wait to start using your method!

One question: Do you not have your thermometer in the boilermaker because the Bayou basket would not fit if it was in?

Thanks

Citadel c/o 11'

Old 03-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #625
Seven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillonks1 View Post
Just scored a brand new 15 gallon boilermaker for $250 from a charity event at my local home brew store. Can't wait to start using your method!

One question: Do you not have your thermometer in the boilermaker because the Bayou basket would not fit if it was in?

Thanks
I removed the kettle thermometer because it would block the basket and/or snag the bag. I think some people still use their kettle thermometers without any problems but I didn't feel that I needed it since all I care about are mash temps which can be easily obtained with any portable thermometer. Northern Brewer and other places sell a plug kit for the hole if you decide to remove your thermometer.

And congrats on the kettle score!

Old 03-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #626
Holzster

Recipes 

Thanks for the detailed notes on this.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:20 AM   #627
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 9

OK, so, I brewed a Belgian Strong Golden Ale today and I finally got all of my ducks in a row in terms of efficiency. First, adjusted my pH with acidulated malt to hit 5.3. Next, I made sure to hit all my temperatures properly. In addition, I used a digital probe thermometer to probe the grist during the BIAB and found I needed a lot more stirring and agitation than I normally use. My approach was to stir with a paddle and to move the grain around on the way to strike temperature by pulling up on 1 side of the bag and then the other to sort of roll the grain around in the bag. This worked very well. Finally, I did a 2 gallon batch sparge at 175 after mashing out. Overall I got 78% efficiency on a 15.5 lb grain bill. That is better than I have done. Add to that 2lb of sugar and this should be a nice brew!

Pitched yeast recovered from Pranqster Golden Ale. Already bubbling away.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:10 AM   #628
Sippin37
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Sounds like everything went well. My first BIAB was also my first All Grain today and things did not go so well. My digital thermometer failed while checking my mash temp so I had to just roll with the punches with a floating thermometer that takes forever to tell you the temp. Think I may have mashed at 162 (shooting for 154) for the final 30 minutes of the sach rest. Then tried to mash out at 170 but I think it was more like 175. So only time will tell how this Northern English Brown will turn out.

Anyone know of a long probed, fast temp reading thermometer I should purchase? Thanks

Old 03-12-2012, 03:36 AM   #629
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Sorry to hear about your trials. However, my bet is that you will have beer when you get done and you will be happy to drink it. That said, there is always room for improvement. On my 13th BIAB batch, I think I might be getting there.

My digital thermometer died on its maiden voyage today. Seems that the probe cannot be submerged (that's a problem). Wonder where I can find a replacement probe I can use. By the time I got to my mashout it was reading 228F constantly. Fortunately, I have a brewmometer in my keggle. Mashed out a 170 and then sparged with 175 water so I think it was 170 by the time I added the grain bag.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:05 AM   #630
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 106

here's how to water/wort proof your probe thermometer.. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/remo...roofing-26905/

Quick Reply