Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012, 03:09 AM   #611
Euphist
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I don't see why not.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 11:58 PM   #612
msa8967
mickaweapon

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I have about 6 stovetop BIAB sessions done in the past few weeks and I realized today I might have messed up all of them, In order to keep the bag off of the bottom I used a baker's cooling rack (instead of a ss colander). The round cooling rack has some chrome content in it and I am not sure if this is safe for brewing at temps of 170+F. Anyone have any ideas? I did remove the racks prior to reaching the boil temp for the wort.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 03-08-2012, 12:53 AM   #613
msa8967
mickaweapon

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTheHick View Post
Hey mick let me know if the lowes has them in stock. My wife got a sewing machine and I'm going to attempt to suggest this project once things get a little calmer around the house. Thanks!
Walmart and Bed, Bath & Beyond both carry these curtains now back in stock. They are $5 at wallyworld and $10 at BBB.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 03-08-2012, 12:56 AM   #614
JimTheHick
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967

Walmart and Bed, Bath & Beyond both carry these curtains now back in stock. They are $5 at wallyworld and $10 at BBB.
Thanks!

Old 03-08-2012, 04:26 AM   #615
humulene
Recipes 

Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post
I have about 6 stovetop BIAB sessions done in the past few weeks and I realized today I might have messed up all of them, In order to keep the bag off of the bottom I used a baker's cooling rack (instead of a ss colander). The round cooling rack has some chrome content in it and I am not sure if this is safe for brewing at temps of 170+F. Anyone have any ideas? I did remove the racks prior to reaching the boil temp for the wort.
I don't think you have anything to worry about. Chromium is used in stainless steel and does not react with water. I'd use it.

http://www.chemistryexplained.com/el.../Chromium.html

Cheers!

Old 03-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #616
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967
It's fine.... Your beer will turn out great.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #617
hausofstrauss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

wow, great thread. I wish I had seen this before I ordered my 44 qt kettle. I could have ordered it with the basket for $30 more and didn't think I would need it. Separately it is about $75.

I do have one that came with my 34 qt kettle. Do you guys think it would be big enough to use the 34 qt basket in the 44 qt kettle??

This would be for ~5 gallon batches.

Last edited by hausofstrauss; 03-09-2012 at 03:19 PM.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #618
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by hausofstrauss View Post
wow, great thread. I wish I had seen this before I ordered my 44 qt kettle. I could have ordered it with the basket for $30 more and didn't think I would need it. Separately it is about $75.

I do have one that came with my 34 qt kettle. Do you guys think it would be big enough to use the 34 qt basket in the 44 qt kettle??

This would be for ~5 gallon batches.

its not needed.. just a nice to have item. I've been doing BIAB for the last year (23 batches so far) and haven't used a basket (I have one that is currently holding my wireless router off the ground). Also I have only had one batch where I wished I had a pulley to help lift the bag. That was a pumpkin ale which was VERY slow draining even with 1lb of rice hulls added.

Stir continuously while heating and you should be fine. Of course this is if you are using a voile bag. Paint strainer bags might melt.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #619
Beer-lord

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I use an enameled plate (not really a plate but I don't know what to call it) that can be heated in the oven for the bottom of my brew kettle and it looks brand new after many uses. It takes the heat and raises the bag about 1" off the bottom.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #620
Sippin37
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 47

[QUOTE="mysticmead"]its not needed.. just a nice to have item. I've been doing BIAB for the last year (23 batches so far) and haven't used a basket (I have one that is currently holding my wireless router off the ground). Also I have only had one batch where I wished I had a pulley to help lift the bag. That was a pumpkin ale which was VERY slow draining even with 1lb of rice hulls added.[\QUOTE]

Wait, I thought rice hulls were only needed when mashing in a cooler to prevent a stuck sparge. Is that correct? May be a dumb question but I an doing my first BIAB this weekend so wanted to see what use rice hulls are really for. Thanks

Quick Reply