Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #591
Seven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseabovebb View Post
Hey guys - looking to try my first BIAB barleywine. I've got 3 successful BIAB batches done and would really like to brew something my brew partner would enjoy (i.e. MALTY). Please let me know what you think of the changes, keeping in mind I'm limited to an 11g kettle.

Note: I basically only reduced the pale malt by 2 lbs due to kettle size. I probably need to reduce the hops a bit also. Haven't thought about that yet.
Cool idea, I've been thinking about trying a barleywine ever since I sampled my first SN Bigfoot a couple of weeks ago.

I guess my initial thoughts/concerns would be about the massive grain-bill vs. your kettle size. I don't have any exact numbers handy but I'd be more comfortable using a 15-gallon kettle for this big of a beer. Although maybe you could make it work with your 11-gallon kettle...

About the 2-pounds reduction of the base malt: why don't you just add 1-pound or so of DME or corn sugar at the end of the boil to make up for the difference?

Another thought would be to try doing it in two smaller "mashes" that you combine just prior to boiling. For example, mash half of the grain in the first mash and transfer the wort to a temporary holding container while you mash the other half of the grain in the second mash. At the end of the second mash combine all of the wort then start your boil. Just an idea... I haven't really thunk it all the way through.

Be sure to let us know what you decide to do. Curious minds want to know!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #592
Riseabovebb
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
Cool idea, I've been thinking about trying a barleywine ever since I sampled my first SN Bigfoot a couple of weeks ago.

I guess my initial thoughts/concerns would be about the massive grain-bill and your kettle size. I don't have any exact numbers handy but I'd be more comfortable using a 15-gallon kettle for this big of a beer. Although maybe you could make it work with your 11-gallon kettle...
That's my concern too. Using the greenbayrackers 'Can I mash it' calculator, it should all fit in the kettle, but I don't know if there is room enough to mix well, etc. The 1.25qts/lb ratio should be good enough, no?

I suppose I could cut the grain bill down another few lbs or so, refigure the numbers and add some dry malt extract (can't remember the conversion, but know it's not # for #). It's a consideration for sure. I guess I'm just being stubborn and wanting to call it AG.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #593
Riseabovebb
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

P.s. I thought I was dangerously close to overflowing on my last BIAB due to the large grain bill. I think I was mashing at a higher ratio though. Will double check to avoid 'cruel learning experience' on brew day.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #594
SpacemanSpiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts

I didn't see your assumed efficiency on there. I recently did a smaller batch wheat wine and had some issues that I'm still trying to figure out. The biggest being I wound up getting 60% efficiency and was way low on OG. Don't know if it was because of the larger grain bill, a smaller batch, or what. I also wound up a half gallon short on my volume, but didn't want to top up and drive my OG even lower.
Something to look out for if you've calculated based on 70% or more.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:32 PM   #595
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 106

unless you crush extremely fine (mostly flour) your efficiency will suffer on such a large grain bill. If you're concerned at all about fitting it all into your kettle, you can lower the batch size and adjust the grain bill to fit better. Another option that is used by a lot of big name brewers is to use dry extract to boost the gravity to hit the numbers. Keep some on hand and use it if needed.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:38 PM   #596
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Definitely lower the base malt grain and use a lot of dry extract to hit your OG. That's what a majority of people do when they are limited on grain space. Should help your efficiency a lot. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #597
Riseabovebb
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sippin37 View Post
Definitely lower the base malt grain and use a lot of dry extract to hit your OG. That's what a majority of people do when they are limited on grain space. Should help your efficiency a lot. Let us know how it turns out.
Gave this some thought last night and I won't to be so hard headed. I'll go ahead and lower the base malt and add some extract.

If I reduce the base malt from 20 to 13lbs, how much extract would I need to add? Do you recall the conversion of grain to extract? Any tips on when to add the extract to prevent too much darkening would be much appreciated.

If anyone has a BIAB specific barleywine success story - please PM me or post the recipe here! Thanks y'all.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #598
Sippin37
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 47

1lb grain = 0.75lb liquid extract = 0.6.lb dry extract.

Yeah just throw the DME in for the last 15 min. of the boil.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:23 AM   #599
Tizzomes
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just gotta say BIAB rocks! I've been using a keggle with a voile bag and can't get over my results! 1 1/2 mash using your mash out technique and everything is on point. FG may be off a bit but we're make all grain quality beer here. A little DME or up the grain bill a pound I'm in.

Just wanted to say thanks for the info people : - ))))))

Old 03-04-2012, 01:15 AM   #600
msa8967
mickaweapon

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 75

I have done six 2.5 gallon BIAB sessions with good results and now want to try this with a 5 gallon recipe but the bag size I have been using will not fit my larger brewpot that I use for 5 gallon sessions. There is no LHBS near me to buy one from and the local Walmart is sold out of their voile sheer curtains. Thus, I was thinking about cutting up an older voile curtain material that I have washed. Anyone think using "older material" would be OK?

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Quick Reply