Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #541
Antler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Seeing as somehow I can't post in the classifieds, if anyone knows for or has a sanke keg they are selling please message me! The only place I can find one is in Toronto and it's $90 for the keg and $100 to ship. I need a keggle to continue my brewing. I'm stuck, lol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 04:35 AM   #542
ksb63
Recipes 

For the baskets, whats biggest pot the 5 gallon paint strainer bag will fit? Looking to step up to 10 to 15 gallon pot

Old 01-25-2012, 09:39 PM   #543
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 543 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksb63 View Post
For the baskets, whats biggest pot the 5 gallon paint strainer bag will fit? Looking to step up to 10 to 15 gallon pot
The 5 gallon bags are too small for a larger 10 -15 gallon pot or a keggle. I recently listed bags in the classifieds FWIW...link below.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f16/sale...n-bags-297585/

Old 01-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #544
Doed
Route 150 Brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksb63 View Post
I have a 62qt Bayou Classic SS pot. I use Trimaco SuperTuff elastic-top strainers item #11523. There are 2 in the pack for about $5. They will just barely stretch over the top of the basket.

I just noticed in their product catalog that item #11523 is considered the regular mesh and item #11516 is a fine mesh.

Reason: added the item number

Old 01-27-2012, 02:12 AM   #545
gmsorge
Recipes 

Hey guys, I have a question. I know that with this process, there is a high liquid to malt ratio but I was wondering if anyone had mashed at the appropriate temperatures and then added water as you were raising the temperature to mash out (170).

I don't think this would be much trouble, but does anyone think that this might help prevent the denaturing of the beta amylase enzymes.

Any input?

Edit: Nevermind, I just read out of John Palmer's book that the higher water to grist ratio dilutes the concentration of enzymes, which slows conversion and could lead to denaturing, but also can lead to a more fermentable mash because the enzymes are not inhibited by such a high concentration of sugars.

Assuming this...would it make sense to mash at a higher temp to make it more dextrinous and less attenuable to counteract the diluted mash? (New question lol)

Old 01-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #546
AAIndigo
Recipes 

Default Grain bags

Austin Homebrew supply has Grain bags in all different sizes. I was going to make some but noticed them when I was placing my order. I should get them this week. http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index....ath=178_33_403

Archie

Old 01-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #547
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAIndigo View Post
Austin Homebrew supply has Grain bags in all different sizes. I was going to make some but noticed them when I was placing my order. I should get them this week. http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index....ath=178_33_403

Archie

plenty of people use those bags successfully. If you want to crush very fine in order to get maximum extraction you really need a voile bag as the weave is much finer.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:19 AM   #548
flyfisherwes
Recipes 

How big should my keggle opening be for this?

I cut a hole in my keg yesterday and it's about 11inches dia. Should I leave it or try to make it as large as possible?

I'm about to start Biab.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:15 AM   #549
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisherwes View Post
How big should my keggle opening be for this?

I cut a hole in my keg yesterday and it's about 11inches dia. Should I leave it or try to make it as large as possible?

I'm about to start Biab.
When I cut mine I used the rim as a guide and rested the angle grinder against it. The important thing to remember is the opening needs to be big enough to pull a bag of hot grain out of. Also make sure you smooth the opening REAL good so it doesn't cut the bag. a flap wheel on the angle grinder does a good job and its quick too

Old 02-06-2012, 12:09 AM   #550
oldskooldawgz
Recipes 

Thanks for the guide. I used this method for my first brew and hit 77% efficiency. I did not do a large batch and I had a hard time keeping my mash temp. All in all I think it was a good first brew day. I did ed wort's haus pale ale. And it is bubbling away right now.

Quick Reply