Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #511
billysparrows
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 15 Gallon Equipment for BIAB

Tyring to get the equipment together to get started on BIAB and save a few bones at the same time.....Has anyone purchased one of the cheaper stainless steel 15g pots (or other size) on amazon (or elsewhere) and added the no weld ball valve themselves? Any issues with this?

Is a regular turkey fryer burner okay to use? I know they are not the sturdiest structures in the world, but I already own one...thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #512
thughes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgo View Post
Brew in a Bag - Brew In a Bag - Home

These are excellent bags. He makes them to perfectly fit keggles.
This^^ x2.

Jeff makes a quality product that I can personally vouch for (been using mine for over 2 years now).

DO a quick search, I believe there is another member (or two) here that sells bags.

nurture my pig

Old 01-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #513
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 540 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysparrows View Post
Tyring to get the equipment together to get started on BIAB and save a few bones at the same time.....Has anyone purchased one of the cheaper stainless steel 15g pots (or other size) on amazon (or elsewhere) and added the no weld ball valve themselves? Any issues with this?

Is a regular turkey fryer burner okay to use? I know they are not the sturdiest structures in the world, but I already own one...thanks
Yes people add valves to both aluminum and stainless pots. Be advised that having a valve is a matter of convenience, you can also siphon out of the kettle when cool.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #514
billysparrows
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good point about the siphoning....thanks

Old 01-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #515
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgo View Post
Brew in a Bag - Brew In a Bag - Home

These are excellent bags. He makes them to perfectly fit keggles.
Thanks cowgo, that is exactly what I was looking for. As soon as I get my keggle and new burner I'll be placing an order for one of these. I don't know how I am going to rig up a pulley system in my backyard, I may just be holding up the bag with grains by hand for as long as possible before passing out from exhaustion!

Old 01-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #516
sfrisby
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 167 Posts

Tall ladder straddling the pot. Google Alton brown good eats turkey fryer episode.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #517
thughes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sippin37 View Post
Thanks cowgo, that is exactly what I was looking for. As soon as I get my keggle and new burner I'll be placing an order for one of these. I don't know how I am going to rig up a pulley system in my backyard, I may just be holding up the bag with grains by hand for as long as possible before passing out from exhaustion!
Put a step ladder over your rig to provide something to hoist/hang the bag from.

Oops, typing too slow again.....sfrisby beat me to it.

nurture my pig

Reason: too slow

Old 01-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #518
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysparrows View Post

I've been using a turkey fryer burner and a 10 gallon aluminum pot for years. In fact I just recently up-sized to a keggle so I could do huge beers or 10 gallon batches. The keggle I added a weldless ball valve too.. the Aluminum pot didn't need it. After cooling either siphon it or dump the entire thing into a bucket primary. I could have siphoned from the keggle and that would have been one less headache to deal with (to a while to get it to not leak).

Old 01-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #519
Sippin37
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrisby View Post
Tall ladder straddling the pot. Google Alton brown good eats turkey fryer episode.
That may work, I'll have to atleast give it a try.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #520
stux
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobo View Post
I also do "5" gallon batches for variety reasons and since it is plenty for my own consumption (wife won't drink beer, but now she has me doing hard cider since I've got all the gear). It does make it a bit more tricky for the times that you are needing to brew for occasions where you are entertaining others. My particular challenge is our annual 4th of July get together where last year I had to time things out so I had about a barrel kegged and ready to go for 2 days of fun- while still having brew to consume durring and in between all that brewing (helps that I have 8 - 5gal corny kegs, and a 3 gal in my inventory so I can celler things and stock up).

Hind sight being 20/20 and needing a reason to upgrade the brewery is all fine and dandy, but if your just starting off from BIAB scratch, I would suggest springing for a brew kettle that will allow for 10 gal batches (so you need at least a 15 gal). You can easily do 5 gal batches in that for when it's just you, but you can also do a double batch when you have to keep the friends and family happy. That said, you will need to consider how to approach your fermenting set up (do you go with a big vessel for the big batches, or do you split it into two smaller ones).

When I got back into brewing I swore off pails and carboys and went stainless conical, and considered getting a large enough conical to do 10 or 15 gal batches, but it was pointed out by the equipment pros that once you go to the bigger vessels (this includes kettles), there's no moving them once they are filled (at least not by yourself) so you either need a crew to help, or you will need to spring for pumps etc.

I would say ideally (and what I'm working towards as upgrades) would be a "10" gal batch kettle with 2 "5" gal batch conicals (have one, so I "need" a second conny) so you can do a big batch when you need to and split it into the two fermenters, and all the other time you can have two different brews alternating between the two fermentors in which you can do big beers that need more time to finish for yourself, while pumping thru session brews in the other fermenter for all your "home brew groupies"

best of both worlds.
+1

Except for the SS conical

I use a couple of pales, and find the only way to keep up with demand for the bug summer parties and groupies is to more or less continuously ferment ale batches (2 every 3 weeks)

I now have a 26 gallon pot so can do very large batches and a 15 gallon fermenter. But it's a pita compared to the 7 gallon pails

For in-depth BIAB info try http://biabrewer.info

Quick Reply