Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2011, 01:54 AM   #41
Mysticmead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 106

yep.. I use just a Voile bag. my largest beer so far had a 12.5lb grain bill, add in another 8lbs for absorption and that's 20.5lbs.. bag still holding up great. I recently got a keggle and will be doing BIAB on it as well. my new bag will be made to fit the keggle and I won't be using a metal basket. As long as the bag is sewn together the right way it'll hold.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 02:15 AM   #42
gunner65
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Same here no basket just voile bag.

Single Vessel BIAB is all I need....Until we figure out the no vessel technique.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:34 AM   #43
Opivy
Recipes 

Hmm, just re-read the OP and it answered my question... But i got another

I'm getting ready for my first AG and was wondering if the mash out temperature can vary from recipe to recipe?

(btw is your name a seinfeld reference? my last dog was named Soda =0)

Last edited by Opivy; 03-24-2011 at 05:37 AM.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:41 AM   #44
kable
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Great write up with pictures. I just recently stepped up from extract to a few BIAB batches and I am still trying to 'tune' things.

Would be nice in your original post if you gave some credit to the Aussies who pretty much developed this process. There is a lot of good info on their web site etc. Here is another good post on the topic.

I just use a bag made form 1yard of voile material from Joanne's fabric, about $5. I don't use the turkey basket or any type of pulley system. It is very manageable to pull out a pretty full grain bag and hold it for about a minute to let it drain. Then I put it in a bucket and lift the bag up and wrap its draw-string around a doorknob to let it drain some more. I may squeeze it a bit on the side of the bucket. An upside down vegetable steamer makes a pretty good false bottom to keep your bag safe from the heat.

One step that I think could be clarified in your original post is the initial water volume. Your recipe called for a 7.5gal boil. Is this because you plan on boiling off 2 gal in an hour to get to your batch size of 5.5? Or is this accounting for grain water absorption? I have been following this for determining my initial full volume. Batch volume + evaporation + (lbs of grain X .06 grain absorption).

I have a 10gal kettle and did a 1.064OG IPA last night. It was probably pushing my limits. I needed 7.9gal of water, and then add 14lbs of grain. I had about 1.5" until I would overflow. It made doughing in a little slow. I suppose I could start with less water and then sparge to get to my correct volume??? But that requires more equipment ;>) Pulling this bag out was a bit more messy, heavier than my previous batches but was still do-able. A basket and a pully would have been nice. ;>)

Again, great post!!!

Last edited by kable; 03-27-2011 at 12:08 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 03-24-2011, 10:53 AM   #45
wrench
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead View Post
As long as the bag is sewn together the right way it'll hold.
I sewed the first bag myself - I make everything I can, if I can and my sewing isn't too shabby. I gave it a circular bottom instead of a straight seam (making a cylinder instead of an envelope) thinking that the extra length of seam at the bottom would put less stress per inch on that seam. Is this the kind of thing you're talking about, or is there an 'accepted' design?

I'm really looking forward to trying this technique. My element and its junction box are done, the control panel just needs a coat of paint and final assembly, and I need to get a welder to install the keggle fittings. I plan to post pics in a build thread this weekend.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #46
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench View Post
I sewed the first bag myself - I make everything I can, if I can and my sewing isn't too shabby. I gave it a circular bottom instead of a straight seam (making a cylinder instead of an envelope) thinking that the extra length of seam at the bottom would put less stress per inch on that seam. Is this the kind of thing you're talking about, or is there an 'accepted' design?

I'm really looking forward to trying this technique. My element and its junction box are done, the control panel just needs a coat of paint and final assembly, and I need to get a welder to install the keggle fittings. I plan to post pics in a build thread this weekend.
mine is also a cylinder, but the pillow case design works great too. another design is a pillow case that tapers slightly to almost a cone shape (not as pointed as a cone but similar). what I was referring to was, as long as the seams are sewn together well, then it'll hold. I can sew but decided to let an expert (SWMBO) who has 30+ years experience do the work.

Let me know what the build pics are up. I've been seriously thinking about a Electric BIAB setup.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #47
johnnyc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I started with a pillow case design and wort just poured from both corners and made a mess. The cylinder works way better for me. Also I've had up to 24lbs of grain plus water absorbtion in mine. Just takes two people to pick it up!

BTW Bag only for me too.

Kegged: Hoppy Amber, ESB, Weizenbock, Breakfast Stout, IPA

Fermenting: Yooper's Oktoberfest

Old 03-24-2011, 01:54 PM   #48
EllisTX
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench View Post
I'm getting ready for my first all-grain BIAB and wonder if anyone is JUST using a mesh (voile) bag and not the added strength of a metal basket. Am I asking for trouble in trusting a cloth bag to hold all that wet grain? Also, what's the average batch size folks brew when using this method and a keggle?
The voile I use is just a large section of the fabric that I just bunch up at the top to lift out, so I don't have any seams to worry about. My last batch was a 10 gal batch of Centennial Blonde that was about 16 lbs or so of grain and it had no problems.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #49
Seven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by kable View Post
Would be nice in your original post if you gave some credit to the Aussies who pretty much developed this process. There is a lot of good info on their web site etc. Here is another good post on the topic.
Done!

Old 03-24-2011, 02:19 PM   #50
jgerard
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I use paint straining bags.

I got a package of two 5 gallon bags for only a few dollars at my local hardware store. I take the elastic over the entire top of the pot for the mash. When I boil I put the hops in the 2nd bag and tie it to one of the pot handle so it still floats freely and I can moniter the boil.

I only do 2.5 gal batches but I believe the bags are strong enough to hold a 5 gal batch grainbill. If not just double the bags, it will still allow for more water to flow through than the grain bag I got at my LBS

BIAB is great and is the only reason I can enjoy the wonders of AG brewing in my college housing situation. Good luck!

Quick Reply