Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #481
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 540 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 10

The 30 would seem to small IMO, though I have never used a basket. I am curious why you feel you need the basket?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #482
Seven
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlieatthedisco View Post
Hey guys, the 44 qt stainless perforated basket seems to be really pricey, anyone use the 30 qt one? Would it be big enough for a decent grain bill?
30qt = 7.5 gallons and this is a bit small for 5-gallon no-sparge BIAB batches. I'd get the 44qt instead.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #483
Seven
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
The 30 would seem to small IMO, though I have never used a basket. I am curious why you feel you need the basket?
I like the baskets because the handle provides a convenient and secure lifting point when using a pulley. It also allows you to leave the basket/grain hanging over the kettle so you can take your time squeezing the grain with something like a flat lid while it drains.

Sure it's possible to lift/drain/etc without the basket... but personally I find using the basket a bit easier.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #484
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

the basket size would be fine. the pot size is what really matters. get a 44qt pot and use a 30qt basket. or spend the money on a 44qt basket.. or skip the basket and spend that money on grain.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:23 PM   #485
Charlieatthedisco
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I have only done two AG biab attempts and both times I have ripped or burnt my grain bag. Possibly because of large grain bills

Old 01-01-2012, 07:23 PM   #486
Charlieatthedisco
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I have two 50lb sacks of grain ready to go! I use a keggle that I made

Old 01-02-2012, 01:03 AM   #487
tochsner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I did an IPA batch today with BIAB equipment identical to Seven's at the start of this thread. The grain bill was 14 lbs. Per the recipe I mashed at 152* for 75 minutes. Raised the tempature to 168* for 10 minutes stirring most of that time. I ended up with 67% efficency into the fermenter according to BeerSmith. Now I certainly don't have a problem with that but what kind of things could I do differently to up it a some?

Tony

Rescue Dog Brewing

Old 01-02-2012, 01:19 AM   #488
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by tochsner View Post
I did an IPA batch today with BIAB equipment identical to Seven's at the start of this thread. The grain bill was 14 lbs. Per the recipe I mashed at 152* for 75 minutes. Raised the tempature to 168* for 10 minutes stirring most of that time. I ended up with 67% efficency into the fermenter according to BeerSmith. Now I certainly don't have a problem with that but what kind of things could I do differently to up it a some?

the biggest thing will be the crush. If you're using a bag made from voile then you can go pretty fine for a crush. If you have your LBHS crush for you then have them double crush it. If you crush your own then crush it finer.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:21 AM   #489
JimTheHick
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

I know the whole idea here is full volume mash but to get better efficiency I do 1.5 qt per pound. Then i sparge with the bag on top of a grate sitting across the top of my kettle. Just pour whatever amount of 170F water sorta slowly in through the top of the bag to reach your desired pre boil volume. While the bag is dripping into the kettle i fire up the burner for boil.

And I crush pretty fine.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:43 AM   #490
Antler
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead

yeah... I never planned on going bigger than 5 gallon batches.. trouble is I have family and friends that LOVE my beer since going to BIAB.. 10 gallons is where I'm heading now. Look at it this way.. if you get a 15 gallon pot now, you can make 5 gallon batches and if needed (like for a party) you can make 10 gallons with ease. oh yeah, while a strainer basket is a nice thing to have it's not a must have item.
How is it easy to do 10 gallon batches with the 15 gallon kettle? I had planned to go with a 3 keggle system and do 10 gallon batches, but the cheapest I can find sanke kegs are $100 each, plus at least $100 to ship them to me. This price alone has me considering staying with 5 gallon batches and doing BIAB with a blichmann 10 gallon kettle. If I can do 10 gallons once in a while I'd spring for the 15 gallon...

Quick Reply