Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2011, 02:47 PM   #421
Mysticmead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 105

weight of grain x absorption + boil off +trub loss + batch size = water needed.

try 10.5 x .074 + boil off + trub loss + batch size.

for me that would be 10.5 x .074 =.777 (round it to .75 gallon) + 1.5 gallon + .25 gallon + 5.50 gallon = 8 gallons of water needed. now of course that won't fit you 7.5 gallon pot much less the grains. What I would do it have 4 gallons of water in the 7.5 gallon pot, add the grains and mash, then transfer to another pot with the remaining water to dunk sparge. or get a bigger pot

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #422
jr14
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Thanks mysticmead. I actually read all 42 pages and I know this is approximately the tenth time you've posted that equation.

I actually have it on a post it note on my wall.

I'm going with your equation.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:36 PM   #423
jr14
Recipes 

Well, I feel a little silly. I can always bring 6 gallons of water up to mash temp, then slowly add the grains. If the water gets too high, I can just open the spigot and let some water out.

Then I can heat my 2nd kettle of sparge water, and top up after the mash in complete.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:18 AM   #424
stux
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr14 View Post
Well, I feel a little silly. I can always bring 6 gallons of water up to mash temp, then slowly add the grains. If the water gets too high, I can just open the spigot and let some water out.

Then I can heat my 2nd kettle of sparge water, and top up after the mash in complete.
Better to take the water out first, put it in your second pot, add the grains, then add back the water.

I don't know it in US units, but grain displaces about 0.7L per KG.

So

Max Strikewater in L = Max Volume of Kettle in L - (Kilograms of Grain * 0.7)

Then when you've worked out your total water, subtract your strike water volume and use the remaining water to sparge with, doing it this way should get you 80-85% efficiency into your kettle

For in-depth BIAB info try http://biabrewer.info

Last edited by stux; 11-21-2011 at 02:20 AM.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:10 AM   #425
jr14
Recipes 

Thanks stux. In US, Your equation looked something like this to me.

Converted Grain Displacement .18 Pounds per gallon

Max Strikewater in Gal = Max Volume of Kettle in Gal (7.5 for me) - (Pounds of Grain (10.5 for me)* .18)

This = 1.89 Gal (I rounded up to 2). So I'm going to start with 5.5 Gal.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #426
Riseabovebb
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hey all - looking for some help regarding my ability to brew the HopSlam clone recipe offered by Schweaty. Looking to do this as a no-sparge, but not sure if I have the capacity.

What I have available:

44Qt Bayou Classic boil kettle (with matching basket)

Grain bill per Schweaty is 19.5 lbs. with a starting boil size of 7.11 gallons. I used the formula offered by MysticMead a few posts above to determine my strike volume and came up with 8.69 gallons (I used Mystic's trub and evaporation figures as I'm new to BIAB).

I've looked at the 'Can I Mash It?' calculator on rackers.org (Green Bay Rackers--Mash Calculators), but I'm not 100% sure of the mash thickness ratio. I know I would enter 19.5 in the weight field. For the mash thickness, would I take 8.69 Gallons x 4 = 34.76 Qts and divide the 34.76qts by19.5lbs to get a 1.78 mash thickness ratio?

Using 19.5 lbs and 1.78 mash thickness ratio in the calculator tells me I would need 10.24gallons worth of space. If my math is correct, and 10.24 gallons of space is needed, should I attempt this (no sparge) in an 11 gallon kettle including the basket? I'm I asking for trouble?

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Old 11-24-2011, 02:08 AM   #427
Antler
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr14

What I did when doing my first BIAB 6 gallon batch, was mash with ~4 gallons, then topped up to my pre boil amount after the mash.

Old 11-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #428
JimTheHick
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antler

What I did when doing my first BIAB 6 gallon batch, was mash with ~4 gallons, then topped up to my pre boil amount after the mash.
Or sparge with the two gallons. It's often mentioned that BIAB is no sparge, but damn it's pretty easy to pour the extra two gallons back through the bag while it rests on a grate over top of the kettle while heating to boil.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #429
Seven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseabovebb View Post
Hey all - looking for some help regarding my ability to brew the HopSlam clone recipe offered by Schweaty. Looking to do this as a no-sparge, but not sure if I have the capacity.

What I have available:

44Qt Bayou Classic boil kettle (with matching basket)

Grain bill per Schweaty is 19.5 lbs. with a starting boil size of 7.11 gallons. I used the formula offered by MysticMead a few posts above to determine my strike volume and came up with 8.69 gallons (I used Mystic's trub and evaporation figures as I'm new to BIAB).

I've looked at the 'Can I Mash It?' calculator on rackers.org (Green Bay Rackers--Mash Calculators), but I'm not 100% sure of the mash thickness ratio. I know I would enter 19.5 in the weight field. For the mash thickness, would I take 8.69 Gallons x 4 = 34.76 Qts and divide the 34.76qts by19.5lbs to get a 1.78 mash thickness ratio?

Using 19.5 lbs and 1.78 mash thickness ratio in the calculator tells me I would need 10.24gallons worth of space. If my math is correct, and 10.24 gallons of space is needed, should I attempt this (no sparge) in an 11 gallon kettle including the basket? I'm I asking for trouble?

Thanks in advance!

Matt
I brewed this exact same recipe using a 10-gallon kettle. My kettle was definitely maxed out but it worked. This turned out to be one of the best beers I have made so far. You should be able to do it with your 11-gallon kettle.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:16 PM   #430
jr14
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTheHick

Or sparge with the two gallons. It's often mentioned that BIAB is no sparge, but damn it's pretty easy to pour the extra two gallons back through the bag while it rests on a grate over top of the kettle while heating to boil.
This is exactly what I was going to do as I had it suspended above the kettle.

Quick Reply