Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2011, 05:51 AM   #381
The_Dog_42
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thughes View Post
Good question....I have no idea if that will affect gravity. 1) I am not a chemist or an engineer. 2) I use a refractometer to measure gravity.

I tend to subscribe to the explanation provided by somebody here: "The density of the water in the pond is not affected by the number of fish swimming, logs floating, and weeds growing in said pond. Makes sense to me!
That is certainly a tough question to answer. My gut reaction is that if the insoluble fiber is in solution, then the gravity would be affected. I'll try to explain using the above example, but I'll probably do it poorly.

Let's say you want to know the density of pond water, including all things floating in it (fish, logs, weeds, etc.). Your sample when you put (a really large) hydrometer into it would have to include enough water to have an adequate amount of fish, logs, and weeds. Because the fish and logs and such displace a different volume of water than...water, they affect the gravity. Basically, because they are a different density than water, the "gravity" of the solution is not going to equal 1.000.

So to come back to beer, if the fish are dissolved sugars, the logs are the insoluble fibers and the weeds are the hop particulates. All of these particles will change the density of the hydrometer sample, because they are not the same density of the water. So the particles change the specific gravity. The only other comment I can make is a refractometer and a hydrometer should read the same SG because (I assume that) light refracts off the fiber particulates the same as it refracts off the sugars, or at least the refraction is close enough that you couldn't discern a difference without a computer and/or laser.
My 10 yr old chocolate lab Guinness :D thinks her name is goddammit dog or fu@%in' puppy...I think if she were registerable :drunk: her full name would Goddammit Guinness Stop It...Go Away!!! And we Love her dearly :)
My Keg-O-Vision (Kegerator) Build

My Butcherblock-esque Fermentation Chamber

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2011, 11:00 AM   #382
Strangelove
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good answer. That's what I think, too. What I wonder is how to set my new Barley Crusher to provide maximum brewhouse efficiency without generating falsely elevated readings. This might need a thread of its own.

Primary 4: Extra Hard Lemonade
On Deck:
SECONDARY:
Bottle Conditioning: MW Belgian Honey, Edwort's Apfelwein, MW Bourbon Barrel Old Ale, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, BM's Hooked on Bitters, Beecave Haus Pale Ale
Drinking: Yooper's Stone Ruination Clone, BM's SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde, BM's Kona Fire Rock Clone,

Old 10-26-2011, 01:41 PM   #383
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I think it all depends on whether the matter is soluble or insoluble. If it's dissolved (sugar molecules), then it affects gravity. If it's insoluble trub that has precipitated, I don't believe it will affect gravity reading at all. Just my two pennies.

I wouldn't jump to changing your barley crusher settings. Why not setup a simple experiment next time you brew? Grab a sample in a normal fashion (will eventually precipitate trub at bottom). At the same time squirt a larger volume into a second vessel. Allow the trub to separate while the 2 samples cool. Making sure the sample temps are identical, very carefully grab a sample from the 2nd vessel so that no trub or insoluble particles are picked up. Measure that sample and compare. I would bet you get identical results.

Primary #1: Empty #2: Black Currant Wine
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale
Bottles
: Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown, 2H IPA III

Old 10-26-2011, 02:02 PM   #384
The_Dog_42

Recipes 

Good point on insoluble vs. soluble material.

Another interesting point on this is that the fiber is a starch. The amylase rest (151F-160F) would also break down some, if not all, of the soluble fibers in the conversion of starch to sugar. So it's possible that we have more trub through the process, but that the final gravity readings are not skewed by fiberous material (like the post above said). If that is the situation, then you'd only have the long and short chain sugars to the SG reading you're taking. As with a normal AG process, the long chain wouldn't break down but would provide body (mouth-feel) and some sweetness to the beer and the short chain sugars would get broken down by the yeast.

My 10 yr old chocolate lab Guinness :D thinks her name is goddammit dog or fu@%in' puppy...I think if she were registerable :drunk: her full name would Goddammit Guinness Stop It...Go Away!!! And we Love her dearly :)

Old 10-27-2011, 02:30 AM   #385
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Might be a dumb question but...I bought the AHS Fat Tire clone all-grain kit to try my hand at BIAB (and this will be my first all-grain too). Will using the grain bill that came with the kit work well with BIAB or would I need to up the grains a little?

Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Fizzy yellow beer and Pumpkin Ale

Bottled: Nothing

On my list to brew: Stone IPA and some kind of wit

Old 10-27-2011, 02:45 AM   #386
Seven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22lude View Post
Might be a dumb question but...I bought the AHS Fat Tire clone all-grain kit to try my hand at BIAB (and this will be my first all-grain too). Will using the grain bill that came with the kit work well with BIAB or would I need to up the grains a little?
If you are just starting out with BIAB I would suggest increasing the base malt by a pound or two. After a few batches you shouldn't need the extra grain once you get your equipment and process well dialed in.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #387
Strangelove
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all of the answers.

It's my understanding that efficiency is measured before the boil when the insoluble particles are still in suspension. If I were to design an experiment I would keep two post-mashout samples. One sample would be measured immediately and one would be kept at temperature until the insoluble particles precipitated the measure SG and compare. To be sure, this should be done with a variety of recipes, crushes and conditions.

Primary 4: Extra Hard Lemonade
On Deck:
SECONDARY:
Bottle Conditioning: MW Belgian Honey, Edwort's Apfelwein, MW Bourbon Barrel Old Ale, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, BM's Hooked on Bitters, Beecave Haus Pale Ale
Drinking: Yooper's Stone Ruination Clone, BM's SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde, BM's Kona Fire Rock Clone,

Old 10-27-2011, 02:12 PM   #388
The_Dog_42

Recipes 

Quote:
I use AHS kits all the time. Last time I had them double crush the grains and I hit my numbers spot on, so if they haven't shipped yet, I'd see if they can crush twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelove View Post
Thanks for all of the answers.

It's my understanding that efficiency is measured before the boil when the insoluble particles are still in suspension. If I were to design an experiment I would keep two post-mashout samples. One sample would be measured immediately and one would be kept at temperature until the insoluble particles precipitated the measure SG and compare. To be sure, this should be done with a variety of recipes, crushes and conditions.
Good idea. Probably need to start a new thread on this one though.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:19 PM   #389
EoinMag
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I'd have a little bit of extract on hand to make up any shortfall you may have. To be honest there's no real reason for it, efficiency on my first attempt was 78%.

You didn't say you didn't love me, when you were stretched out across my bed
You're drinkin' moonshine whisky and talking all outta your head.
Rory Gallagher - Pistol Slapper Blues (Trad)

Old 10-27-2011, 02:37 PM   #390
Wingfan13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
I have done several AHS BIAB and they all come out great. I dont up the amount of grain at all. You will be fine.

Quick Reply