Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2011, 05:33 AM   #21
jjones17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
STEP 5: Lift, Drain, Squeeze Grains
I love your pics! Great job! Naturally, a suggestion - As a fellow BIAB brewer, I get 80-80% efficiency every time and I drain my mash about 25 seconds. Have you tried NOT doing that drain for 30 mins?Maybe give it a whirl, you might be surprised! Just hoping to save you 30 mins! LOVE your setup though!
Old 03-19-2011, 06:35 AM   #22
redalert
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nicely done. I've used BIAB method in the past and sometimes enjoy the simplicity of just a bag. Saves a whole bunch of time on extra cleaning and such. There are many ways to skin a cat. The whole point is good beer. Sometimes,,as in life, we make this hobby harder than it has to be. Cheers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2011, 11:40 PM   #23
robcj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Great BIAB post. Have you joined the BIABrewer forum yet?

My brewing partner and I started brewing two months ago. We undertook our first all-grain brew this past Wednesday. We decided to use both the BIAB and no-chill methods. This results in a simple and minimalist approach to brewing.

Our system and process was slightly different. We milled our own grain and tightened the mill for a finer grind to compensate for the lower efficiency. We invested in a 64-litre (17-gallon) stockpot so we could brew 30-litre (8-gallon) batches. My brewing partner created a stainless steel siphon system that we used to transfer the hot wort to two HDPE water storage containers. We each took one sealed container with 4 gallons of hot wort home. This allows us to easily split the batch and shorten the brew day by postponing pitching the yeast for one or two days. This way we can brew on weeknights if we want.

Our target OG was 1.067 and we hit 1.063. The difference can be attributed to a drop in the mash temperature near the end of the mash due to poor monitoring and an overestimation of our evaporation rate. This could have been fixed by prolonging the boil but it was getting late and we agreed that it would not be worth the wait. Other than these two small errors, we were very pleased with the BIAB method, particularly when combined with the no-chill method. It suits our needs perfectly.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:34 PM   #24
Seven
Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones17 View Post
I love your pics! Great job! Naturally, a suggestion - As a fellow BIAB brewer, I get 80-80% efficiency every time and I drain my mash about 25 seconds. Have you tried NOT doing that drain for 30 mins?Maybe give it a whirl, you might be surprised! Just hoping to save you 30 mins! LOVE your setup though!
I have tried not doing this and I ended up with sticky wort all over the garage floor that I figured would be better off in my kettle. This was my fault though for not having something readily available to catch the drainage.

You are right though - it's not absolutely critical to perform this step. I edited this step to make it optional.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Old 03-20-2011, 02:43 PM   #25
Seven
Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcj View Post
Great BIAB post. Have you joined the BIABrewer forum yet?
I haven't been to that site very much but I can see it's a good source of information for all things BIAB.

I joined it just now.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:37 PM   #26
Time-Travelers
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Did my first BIAB/No-chill yesterday!

My end of boil gravity reading (adjusted for temp) was 1.047, my recipe OG is est @ 1.040.

I haven't pitched the yeast yet and plan to take another gravity reading before doing so (not sure if it will change from end of boil?), but if it doesn't change, should I add more water to get closer to the original recipe??? My recipe was for a 5-gal batch. My end of boil volume was 5.8 gal.

Thanks!

Old 03-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #27
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 116

no need to add water... you'll have a beer that is a bit stronger but that's OK
congrats on your first BIAB and first No-Chill..

Old 03-21-2011, 02:42 PM   #28
Time-Travelers
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

LOL! Yes, normally a higher alcohol brew isn't a problem, however... I was trying to brew a beer under 5.0 ABV for entry into a local comp

- If this batches SG is higher that estimated, will resulting FG be higher also???

- Is the higher SG a result of a higher efficiency?

- Should I make any adjustments in my next brew? I did a 90-min mash w/mash-out and a 90-min boil.

Sorry for all the questions ...this is also my first all-grain as well

Old 03-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #29
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 116

the FG will be slightly higher..and yes, you got good efficiency which caused the higher SG.. diluting it out a bit more to reach the SG you want will work.. but hops utilization will be a little lower as well. What was teh grain bill.. that will help determine the efficiency you got

Old 03-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #30
Time-Travelers
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Sweet!!
I'm going to leave well enough alone...
If it ferments out to just .001 higher than the original recipe, I'll still be under 5.0 ABV (just!)

Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply