Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #201
MrZ2U
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So far I have done just partial mash brews and had some mixed results I think based on Ph and water volumes and was thinking I should work those out before going AG but this seems easy enough to jump to so a few questions and I might just do this next time.

They have a 10gallon Rubbermaid water cooler at HomeDepot for only $39.95. I know the idea of this is to do it all in one pot but wouldn’t involving this cooler work just as well, perhaps a little better? Get the strike water up to temp, move it to the cooler with the grain bag. Move it back to the kettle and mash out?

Am I missing something with that process? Logic seems to dictate the temp would be more solid like this right?

Also, I am looking at it like this, I have to buy a strainer basket (not comfortable with just the bag) or could just buy the cooler.

Thoughts?

"Nobody knows everything. Nobody even knows everything about any one thing. And most of us don't know much." P. J. O'Orourke

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #202
Kaz
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZ2U View Post

They have a 10gallon Rubbermaid water cooler at HomeDepot for only $39.95. I know the idea of this is to do it all in one pot but wouldn’t involving this cooler work just as well, perhaps a little better? Get the strike water up to temp, move it to the cooler with the grain bag. Move it back to the kettle and mash out?

Am I missing something with that process? Logic seems to dictate the temp would be more solid like this right?
One of the main draws of BIAB is the simplicity of it, while your method would work, if you have a 10 gallon kettle, mashing with 8 gallons of water is going to be pretty temperature stable. While you can buy a basket, I use a $5 steamer screen that fits in the bottom of my kettle and keeps the bag off the bottom. I've used a voile curtain that I butchered as my bag and it is very strong. When it comes time to mash out, I fire up my burner, get up to about 172F and then pull out the bag and lay a grill grate across my pot. Let the bag drain and then I'll press as much liquid as possible out of it using my kettle lid. IMO adding the cooler is adding a few unneeded steps and complicating the process more than it needs to be.

Draft 1: Lightly smoked Weizen
Draft 2: Belgian Wit
Draft 3: Rauchbier

Primary 1: German Scwarzbier
Primary 2:

On Deck: Belgian Brown Ale, Pale Ale, Stout

Old 07-21-2011, 08:42 PM   #203
MrZ2U
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I hear ya...and defer to your experience on the temp thing. Plus, I am in Austin so its hotter than necessary these days so I may be worried about nothing really. I have a keggle so volume is not an issue. I guess I was just thinking that it is about the same cost for that cooler or a basket so explore the pros and cons of the options as such.

I will do one or the other, I don’t feel comfortable with the bag only. Now the basket, aluminum or stainless and what size? Seems like 24qt ought to do it? The hole in my keggel is just shy of 13 inches and it is not a perfect circle so I don’t know how much if any that limits me. I do have room to open it up to about 15 inches or so if needed and I might do that anyway…no good way to cover that hole though, at least not at the moment.

"Nobody knows everything. Nobody even knows everything about any one thing. And most of us don't know much." P. J. O'Orourke

Old 07-21-2011, 10:04 PM   #204
Seven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 91

I also have a keggle but so far I haven't used it for BIAB. I think that keggles retain heat very well because they have such a large thermal mass. All that hot water and grain and steel retains heat for a long time. One problem I've run into with my keggle is the narrow opening at the top. When I cut the top from the keg I could only get a 12-inch diameter cut. I haven't found any baskets that are large enough to be useful that would fit into a 12-inch diameter opening.

I've been contemplating using the keggle for BIAB using only a voile bag but I haven't tried it yet. I've got my process down so well with my other kettle and metal basket that I just haven't been able to push myself to try something new...

So for now my keggle sits in the corner, unused and lonely. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it. I'm sure one day I'll come up with something.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:11 PM   #205
Kaz
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
I hear ya...and defer to your experience on the temp thing. Plus, I am in Austin so its hotter than necessary these days so I may be worried about nothing really. .
Its 100F here in South Central PA today, so we're getting a dose of Austin weather. I would actually worry about the sun and the heat actually heating my mash higher that 155 right now lol.

Draft 1: Lightly smoked Weizen
Draft 2: Belgian Wit
Draft 3: Rauchbier

Primary 1: German Scwarzbier
Primary 2:

On Deck: Belgian Brown Ale, Pale Ale, Stout

Old 07-21-2011, 11:32 PM   #206
bartbert
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZ2U
So far I have done just partial mash brews and had some mixed results I think based on Ph and water volumes and was thinking I should work those out before going AG but this seems easy enough to jump to so a few questions and I might just do this next time.

Also, I am looking at it like this, I have to buy a strainer basket (not comfortable with just the bag) or could just buy the cooler.

Thoughts?
I use the bag in a cooler method and it works great. I tried doing the one pot BIAB method and I just couldn't maintain stable temps. I guess there is one more thing to clean up, but I haven't found that to be a big deal.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:50 PM   #207
Paulgs3
Yeast Buddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 11

So I really want to try this. I love extract brewing for its simplicity but I want to add more complexity to my beers that I just can't get without using grains. This might be what I'm looking for (I'm ultimately lazy and I love home brew).

Basically, if I want to do 5 gal >1.060 batches I will need at least a 15 gal pot?

Old 07-22-2011, 12:45 AM   #208
Seven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulgs3 View Post
Basically, if I want to do 5 gal >1.060 batches I will need at least a 15 gal pot?
I successfully brewed a 5-gallon Hopslam clone (OG 1.098) using a 10-gal kettle. It turned out to be one of my best beers to date.

If you want to brew batches larger than 5-gallons then you'll need a 15 to 20 gallon kettle.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #209
The_Dog_42
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
I will do one or the other, I don’t feel comfortable with the bag only. Now the basket, aluminum or stainless and what size? Seems like 24qt ought to do it?
I bought a 42 qt pot with a basket from Academy for $50 for my BIAB. They seemed to have quite a selection of pots and baskets. If you're set on the basket, you may want to check them out. And the bigger the better, if you go too small you may not be able to do big beers.

Oh and I'm in Pville too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
I fire up my burner, get up to about 172F and then pull out the bag and lay a grill grate across my pot. Let the bag drain and then I'll press as much liquid as possible out of it using my kettle lid.
The grill grate is an awesome idea. I think I may have to steal it. I was looking for a way to get the runnings without holding the bag up.
My 10 yr old chocolate lab Guinness :D thinks her name is goddammit dog or fu@%in' puppy...I think if she were registerable :drunk: her full name would Goddammit Guinness Stop It...Go Away!!! And we Love her dearly :)
My Keg-O-Vision (Kegerator) Build

My Butcherblock-esque Fermentation Chamber

Old 07-22-2011, 01:46 PM   #210
Paulgs3
Yeast Buddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I successfully brewed a 5-gallon Hopslam clone (OG 1.098) using a 10-gal kettle. It turned out to be one of my best beers to date.

If you want to brew batches larger than 5-gallons then you'll need a 15 to 20 gallon kettle.
Thanks Seven, I saw that. I was a bit concerned as I had thought you mentioned it was tight but do-able.

I'd rather have more than enough room then not enough. My present BK is a 7.5g and I've been cursing the day I didn't buy a 10 gal instead, just didn't want to make the same mistake.

Quick Reply