Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2011, 06:30 PM   #181
Mysticmead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 114

final batch size + absorption + trub loss + boil off = water needed

that's for a full volume no sparge BIAB
*absorption is grain weight x .075 (or x .05 depending on how hard you squeeze the bag)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2011, 07:51 PM   #182
Wingfan13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Perfect...thanks for the help !

Old 06-30-2011, 10:35 PM   #183
oldtrucker
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Mysticmead thanks for the calculator. This biab has almost got me ready to try electric biab.

oldtrucker

Old 07-04-2011, 04:58 AM   #184
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Hi all,

I did my first BIAB today, my first all grain and my third brew ever. It was a mixed experience. The brew was a clone of Ballast Point Sculpin IPA, a great blonde 7% ABV hop bomb. I started with a 14 lb grain bill and mashed out in 4.3 gal 151 degree water for an hour. I couldn't do a full volume since my pot is 7 gal. This all seemed to go well despite missing my temp by a couple degrees, but that was corrected with a little heat and stirring. I gave the bag a good squeeze and then transferred to a batch sparge at 168 (missed my 175 target temp again but didn't correct it this time). I combined the sparge and mash and took a sample to cool for SG. I then did my boil but I felt my volume was about .75 gal lower than I predicted with 0.08/lb absorbed by grain. So, about 30 min into the boil I added .5 gal water. Finished my boil and cooled and then remembered to take my preboil SG and my OG. Those came out at 1.060 and 1.064 respectively, a ways from the expected of 1.068 and 1.076. At 60% efficiency I was pretty disappointed.

I had two other problems. My wort has a huge amount of trub that didn't want to settle out. I didn't use the finest bag, probably should have been finer. I also came out about 0.5 gal short of my target volume. I thought I started with 6.3 gal to end at 5.4 gal (with 0.4 gal yeast starter). I guess I may have missed one of my 0.75 gal water additions when measuring. I ended up with 4.7 gal even after about .9 gal of additions.

Anyway, I should be fine but I sure would like to know where the water went and why the low efficiency.

Curt

Old 07-04-2011, 06:10 AM   #185
C-Rider
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 321

Curt your first went off a bit like mine. I did a 1 gallon batch yesterday and used the wrong end of my "dip stick" to measure my water and was 1/2 gallon short when I poured it all into the fermenter. I looked at the scale on the fermenter and it read only 1/2 gal. WTF, then I figured out what went wrong and added 1/2 gal to the wort, pitched the dry yeast and now I'm waiting, and waiting. Gee only 6 more weeks till I can drink my new Porter. Good think I have at least 60 bottles in the pipe line.

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Fermenting: Wai`anae Summer Ale
(N.English Brown)
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer:
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer:
Bottled in the refer:

Old 07-04-2011, 06:24 AM   #186
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewitt View Post
Hi all,

I did my first BIAB today, my first all grain and my third brew ever. It was a mixed experience. The brew was a clone of Ballast Point Sculpin IPA, a great blonde 7% ABV hop bomb. I started with a 14 lb grain bill and mashed out in 4.3 gal 151 degree water for an hour. I couldn't do a full volume since my pot is 7 gal. This all seemed to go well despite missing my temp by a couple degrees, but that was corrected with a little heat and stirring. I gave the bag a good squeeze and then transferred to a batch sparge at 168 (missed my 175 target temp again but didn't correct it this time). I combined the sparge and mash and took a sample to cool for SG. I then did my boil but I felt my volume was about .75 gal lower than I predicted with 0.08/lb absorbed by grain. So, about 30 min into the boil I added .5 gal water. Finished my boil and cooled and then remembered to take my preboil SG and my OG. Those came out at 1.060 and 1.064 respectively, a ways from the expected of 1.068 and 1.076. At 60% efficiency I was pretty disappointed.

I had two other problems. My wort has a huge amount of trub that didn't want to settle out. I didn't use the finest bag, probably should have been finer. I also came out about 0.5 gal short of my target volume. I thought I started with 6.3 gal to end at 5.4 gal (with 0.4 gal yeast starter). I guess I may have missed one of my 0.75 gal water additions when measuring. I ended up with 4.7 gal even after about .9 gal of additions.

Anyway, I should be fine but I sure would like to know where the water went and why the low efficiency.

Curt
first... Congrats on your first BIAB. You just made beer and I bet it tastes better than anything you've made before. now, why the poor efficiency..

The main cause of low efficiency in BIAB is the crush. use a voile bag and crush the grain finer. if you buy them pre crushed, have them double crushed. You'll also find that with bigger grain bills the efficiency goes down a little as well. The biggest thing is crush. here's what my crush looks like.. every kernel crushed. most are crushed very fine the rest are flour

for the water problem. squeeze the bag as hard as you can. I use this formula. batch size + boil off + absorption + trub loss = water needed. for absorption I use grain weight x .07. learn the boil off rate for your equipment.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #187
Horace
Recipes 

Quote:
I started with a 14 lb grain bill and mashed out in 4.3 gal 151 degree water for an hour.

Curt
I'm preparing to do my first BIAB and from what I am reading a 90min Mash is common. Was there a reason for the 60min or am I misinformed?

Old 07-04-2011, 06:16 PM   #188
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 9

MysticMead, Thanks for the suggestions. I will make a finer bag and get a better crush of my grain. I invested in a really nice 7 gal stainless pot about a month ago which works great for a partial mash but I'm now wishing I had a 10 gal one. I don't want to invest the cash so I guess I will try to go with smaller batches or lower ABV brews. This one was supposed to be 7.5 and I don't think it will pass 6.0. I'm going to loose a gal to trub, I imagine. Maybe I will put my fine bag over my siphon tube when I transfer to secondary.

I noticed you are using a modified pasta machine for your crush. What is the modification. I have a pasta machine that seldom gets used.

I have a pretty active ferment going right now, in fact I am trying to cool it down a little as my fermentation closet is getting up the 71 and the wort seems to be about 73. I'm trying to hold it at 68 with a little cool water.

Let's see where I end up.

Curt

Old 07-05-2011, 08:23 PM   #189
Great_Neck_Brewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm sold, sign me up

Old 07-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #190
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Quote:

I noticed you are using a modified pasta machine for your crush. What is the modification. I have a pasta machine that seldom gets used.
here's a thread on converting the pasta maker. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/usin...l-grain-75784/

I basically took a drill bit and roughed the hell out of the rollers. they looked like they had been a chew toy for a pit bull for a week. then using a 3/8th spade bit in place of the hand crank I use my cordless drill to power it. my hopper is made out a Wii box along with tape (both gorilla tape and blue painters tape cause that's what I had on hand.) with any DIY project the options are endless.. get creative.

Quick Reply