Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2014, 03:03 PM   #1851
BigGoat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I use softened water and get good efficiency. Look into a corona mill. $40 and you know you will get the crush you want.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2014, 10:11 PM   #1852
LavaAle
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

My BH eff ranges from 78 to 85%. I have a Corona mill and crush as fine as I can get it, then add the grains very slow and stirring all the time. If I don't stir a lot, I get big lumps, which I'm sure will mess up my eff.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:59 PM   #1853
drumuglyknuckles
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

great post, nice pics, easy to follow. thanks

Old 07-01-2014, 08:10 PM   #1854
Brew_Bro
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Great write-up! I modified this slightly to conform with my (lack of) specific equipment, and it seemed to work like a charm. My first all grain Belgian Wit is currently burbling away in my living room.

Peace
BB

Old 07-16-2014, 12:34 AM   #1855
cwkayk
Recipes 

Default Brew In A Bag 8 Gallon Stock Pot

i only have an 8 gallon stock pot and i am attempting to do a BIAB all grain 5 gallon batch. at this time, i am not purchasing a larger stock pot. what is the best method, specifically dealing w/ the lack of strike water volume?

Old 07-16-2014, 01:03 AM   #1856
Epimetheus
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 54

That is the same as my equipment for BIAB 5 gal batches. I use make-up water and dunk sparges. I try to make up the volume with the water from the sparges and usually do not hit it exactly, so a little more make up water or a little more boiling. Higher gravities have lower extraction efficiency, you should do fine up to 6% final target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkayk View Post
i only have an 8 gallon stock pot and i am attempting to do a BIAB all grain 5 gallon batch.
BTW, I built a 1500W 120V heatstick to help my anemic electric range. The stick itself is enough for 3 gallon batches, which is nice for one case of 12 oz and I can brew anywhere.

Add your water analysis to the water report map! Instructions on this thread

Old 09-17-2014, 08:03 PM   #1857
drumuglyknuckles
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epimetheus View Post
That is the same as my equipment for BIAB 5 gal batches. I use make-up water and dunk sparges. I try to make up the volume with the water from the sparges and usually do not hit it exactly, so a little more make up water or a little more boiling. Higher gravities have lower extraction efficiency, you should do fine up to 6% final target.

BTW, I built a 1500W 120V heatstick to help my anemic electric range. The stick itself is enough for 3 gallon batches, which is nice for one case of 12 oz and I can brew anywhere.

Gotpics of that? Would like to see.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:03 PM   #1858
drumuglyknuckles
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epimetheus View Post

Got pics of that pot setup? Would like to see.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:34 PM   #1859
hoppybrewster
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts

Ok let me throw in a monkey wrench. Could I buy one of those curtains you guys are making the bag out of and line my plastic cooler mash tun on top of the PVC filter that I already have in there? Best if both worlds? Put in full boil water volume. Could still sparge if you wanted to. Don't have to be concerned about burning the bag. Clean up still kinda easier. Would this work? Thoughts?

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benny Franklin

Old 09-25-2014, 06:53 PM   #1860
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 824 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppybrewster View Post
Ok let me throw in a monkey wrench. Could I buy one of those curtains you guys are making the bag out of and line my plastic cooler mash tun on top of the PVC filter that I already have in there? Best if both worlds? Put in full boil water volume. Could still sparge if you wanted to. Don't have to be concerned about burning the bag. Clean up still kinda easier. Would this work? Thoughts?

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone.
It will work well. If you ever get a stuck sparge, just lift the bag. You'll like it.

Quick Reply