Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #1751
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Is there a target efficiency that I should be trying to achieve? I generally get around 73%. Should I be trying to improve that?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #1752
seefish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Not in my opinion, that's pretty good for BIAB. Your efficiency only affects how much grain you need to achieve your target OG, not how good the beer tastes.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #1753
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel View Post
Is there a target efficiency that I should be trying to achieve? I generally get around 73%. Should I be trying to improve that?
If I'm doing a "regular" beer I tend to get 72-75%. Higher gravity gives me lower efficiency, and session beers usually give me 83-85%. Figure out efficiency at various levels and strive to keep it consistent.

On-Deck:

Primary: Avery Hog Heaven clone; Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul;

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Perry; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Pumpkin Saison; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Belma Session Saison; Grodziskie; Bacon488's Mild
Seven Likes This 
Old 10-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #1754
mtnagel
Recipes 

Awesome. Thanks guys!

Old 10-14-2013, 11:17 PM   #1755
ggriffi
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Thanks guys for all the help. The long story is that I am using a 44qt Bayou fryer bucket and I have a 14 1/2 lb grain bill and rackers says that it will take up 5 gallons of space, so I will be using your info to do my first biab

Primary #1 - Tolstoy's RIS

Old 10-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #1756
ClemTiger0408
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

While the bag is dripping after Mash Out, can I be heating the wort up to boil temp? Or do I need to wait for the bag to finish dripping?

Old 10-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #1757
sikkingj

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Heat away, no need to wait until it finishes dripping.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:27 PM   #1758
mrgstiffler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemTiger0408 View Post
While the bag is dripping after Mash Out, can I be heating the wort up to boil temp? Or do I need to wait for the bag to finish dripping?
No need to wait. Bring the heat!

Old 10-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #1759
ClemTiger0408
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I attempted BIAB for the first time today, going from extract brewing. It did NOT go well. I was trying to make this: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f78/holl...as-ale-145580/

My pre-boil efficiency came out to be around 57%, unfortunately. I have two theories based on what I observed today.

1. Bag Size: I used a 5 gallon paint strainer from Lowe's, which seems to be the norm around here. I think this brew was a little too big for this bag. First of all, I discovered that bag's mouth does not cover the opening of the kettle. In fact, I could only stretch it across about half way. So because of this, I added the grain to the bad OUTSIDE of the kettle. In hindsight, this prevented me from adding a little bit slowly and stirring as I pour in the grain. Also, because the bag was so full I think it was packed a little too tightly. This prevented the water from really getting in there.

2. Mash Temp: Because I added all the grain at once, the water didn't slowly get to the right temp. I got the strike temp to about 160 and tried to stir as best I could. But 30 minutes into the mash, I checked and the temp was around 142. I immediately heated back up and I added some time to the mash. I did wrap the kettle in blankets. I don't think I necessarily LOST that much heat, but my strike temp wasn't initially high enough and after I added the grain it was packed so tightly that it didn't immediately drop the temp down a lot, but as water got into the grain it brought it down more than expected.

I think overall 1 was more of an issue than 2, but both definitely played a part.

I added some DME and my actual OG wasn't too terribly off the target for this beer. 1.066, which is what some people in the thread for that recipe have reported when doing BIAB.

I am disappointed but I think I learned a lot. Do my guesses as to what went wrong seem possible? My biggest takeaway is that I need a larger bag (hello, http://biabbags.webs.com/). I really should have done a smaller beer for my first...

Reason: fixed link

Old 10-28-2013, 01:27 AM   #1760
mtnagel
Recipes 

Did you have clumps because of issue number 1? I can definitely see that affecting efficiency.

I can highly recommend the bags from Wilserbrewer. The site is http://biabbags.webs.com/ (not sure if that's what you meant with the link).

Quick Reply