Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #1701
mathin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I almost always bottle at the end of week 3 or 4 depending on when I get time to do it. If dry hopping I add the hops a week before bottling.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2013, 06:04 AM   #1702
TangoHotel
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 65 Posts

Not to brag, but after some terrible efficiency issues over my first 2 biab brews, my Oktoberfest just hit 89%. First was 61 and second was 65. The culprit? It was a double crush. What a huge improvement!

Old 07-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #1703
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 83

So I wonder if one can over crush their grain in doing BIAB and then extract undesirable tannins in the process. Any thoughts?

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 07-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #1704
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 575 Times on 470 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Just a heads up and shameless plug, wilserbrewer running a FREE SHIP / FREE DRY HOP SOCK offer this weekend....cheers fellow brewers and have a great weekend!
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/free...brewer-422345/

Old 07-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #1705
doublebogey10
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

First, if you are doing BIAB and need a bag, I'll vouch for the quality of Wilserbrewer's products. Good stuff.

I need some help determining an efficiency issue. And it might not even be a problem.
Since I moved to BIAB this spring, I'm trying hone my process and get a consistent efficiency. My last four batches have all been off projected gravities. Not just a couple points but a lot.
For instance, I just bottled my White IPA that was supposed to have an OG of 1.078. Instead, I was at 1.069.
I have a big hopped-up red ale in fermenter now that was supposed to be 1.073 but instead was 1.063. And my Double IPA was supposed to be 1.082 but was 1.073. (all calculated by Brewtoad at 70% efficiency)
Now, my initial thought with all of these readings was that I am not getting the efficiency that I need to get. And so I thought I need to get a better crush (grains have come from two different national supplies plus LHBS) or that there is something else I need to focus on like better temp control during the mash or squeezing the bag more thoroughly, etc.
BUT, here's the weird part. They are all finishing well below where they are supposed to as well.
That Double IPA was supposed to finish at 1.020 and it ended up a 1.011 and thus the ~8.1 ABV was right on target.
The White IPA also finished around 1.011 (projected: 1.020) and the resulting 7.6 ABV is again, right on target.
And my earlier summer wheat was similar (I don't have the exact numbers but OG was supposed to be 1.050 and I think I was 1.045 and FG was lower as well).

So, do I have a hydrometer problem?
Is there something about that free Brewtoad software that might be off?
Do I have an issue at all?

Old 07-28-2013, 11:07 PM   #1706
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 575 Times on 470 Posts
Likes Given: 11

These are all large beers! BIAB efficiency, or any no sparge method efficiency will suffer as gravity increases. Can you work in a simple sparge step, either a dunk sparge w/ a 4-6 quarts, or simply pouring a gallon slowly over / through the bag of grain after removal might help. Pretty simple to set a couple of large kitchen / grill utensils over the top of the kettle to rest the bag on while slowly pouring sparge water over the grain bag. At those gravities, there is some sugar, perhaps lots of it still on and absorbed in the mash...

As always, how's the crush? Think I just read today of a fellow that double crushed and bam...efficiency up 20%.
Cheers!
And thanks for the praise above!
wilser

It would also be worth a quick check of both your hydrometer and thermometer.
Hydrometer should read 1.000 in water...check thermometer at boiling and freezing. Freezing, 32 degree check can be done with an insulated cup and as much crushed ice as you can fit...like a slushy stirred well!

Old 07-29-2013, 03:47 AM   #1707
TangoHotel
Recipes 

I had the same issue. My gravity was low on my BIAB brew until I double crushed. I set my corona mill to pulverize and let the drill go full speed. It was very much like a chunky flour going into the mash. With no other changes to the routine, my efficiency was close to 89%. That is up from the low to mid 60s on the previous brews. Btw I squeeze the bag like crazy to get as much wort out of the bag as possible. I recommend a double crush to help boost efficiency.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:06 AM   #1708
doublebogey10
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

They are big beers but I'm only doing 3-gallon batches right now so plenty of space in 10-gallon pot. I start with 5.5 gallons and that usually leaves me 3 in to the fermenter.
My first thought was crush but I was miffed by the fact they were finishing so low too. Hydrometer checks at 1.000 in water. Will check thermometer. But I'm probably back to crush.
Might be time to invest in the mill. A Corona does the trick?

Old 07-29-2013, 12:00 PM   #1709
TangoHotel
Recipes 

If your mash temp is low they will finish lower because you are producing more fermentable sugars. Mash higher and it will finish higher. When I mashed my brews with the low efficiency, they both finished low, around 1.011-1.014. The mash temp was 148 -150. They turned out great, I just wanted a higher efficiency because I felt like 14 lbs of grain should get more yield than 1.062. My last was 11.5 lbs of grain and I had OG of 1.068 go into the fermentor.

I love my ugly corona. It is set up in a Menard bucket. I throw a plastic bag over the top to keep the dust down. It works very well for me. It can take out all my grain in about 15 minutes. Its ugly though.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #1710
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Your lowermfgmis due to the lower og. The yeast are eating the same percentage surges. You start 10 pts lower and end 10 pts lower. The abv is the same as your original target.

Quick Reply