The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2011, 06:06 PM   #161
blender747
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thughes View Post
I do 5 gallon batches BIAB no-sparge in my keggle (usually @8-9 gallons of water plus @ 12-14 lbs grain) and still have several gallons of head space.

Even with the head space, the thermal mass of all that grain and water in a 15 gal stainless keggle never loses more than 2 degrees over the course of a 90 minute mash (I just throw a blanket over the top because I have no lid). My converted cooler MLT loses more than that during a 60 minute mash.
Wow--that's impressive that your keggle retains the heat so well. With your keggle you would have enough headspace to make a bigger brew by a couple of gallons?

Also, I signed up for BIABrewer--thanks for the tip!
__________________
Planning: Davunitas IPA 3.0, Americana Wheat 2.0
Fermenting: Empty!
Conditioning: Dubbel Dubbel, Anniversary Cream Ale
Drinking: Americana Wheat, Davunitas IPA 2.0, Uncle Dunkel Dunkelwezen, Janet's Brown Ale
blender747 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2011, 06:08 PM   #162
blender747
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead View Post
going with a 15 gallon pot will allow 5 gallon batches and if you heat a little additional water to "sparge" with, you can do 10 gallon batches with ease.
That might be a good option for those bigger brew days. To do this kind of sparging, I'd just have separate pot going with sparge water and transfer the grain bag into it after the mash, agitate, and let sit for a bit? Then drain it out and add the results back into the kettle?
__________________
Planning: Davunitas IPA 3.0, Americana Wheat 2.0
Fermenting: Empty!
Conditioning: Dubbel Dubbel, Anniversary Cream Ale
Drinking: Americana Wheat, Davunitas IPA 2.0, Uncle Dunkel Dunkelwezen, Janet's Brown Ale
blender747 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2011, 11:16 PM   #163
Mysticmead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kingston, GA
Posts: 1,247
Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender747 View Post
That might be a good option for those bigger brew days. To do this kind of sparging, I'd just have separate pot going with sparge water and transfer the grain bag into it after the mash, agitate, and let sit for a bit? Then drain it out and add the results back into the kettle?
yep, that would be one way of doing it.. dunk sparging is a popular method with some BIAB brewers.. another option is to put the bag in a colander or on a cake rack over the keggle opening and slowly pour the water over the grains.
__________________
Mysticmead is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2011, 12:45 AM   #164
derpsperk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 14
Default

Forgive me if this was already covered (a quick search of the thread didn't give me an answer)... If I have an aluminum basket, do I need to worry about conditioning the basket ahead of time by boiling it in some water for a half hour or so? I've heard that "unconditioned" aluminum can leech off-flavors into beer, but I wasn't sure whether this occurred at mash temperatures as well as boil temperature.

__________________
derpsperk is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2011, 02:28 AM   #165
Mysticmead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kingston, GA
Posts: 1,247
Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpsperk View Post
Forgive me if this was already covered (a quick search of the thread didn't give me an answer)... If I have an aluminum basket, do I need to worry about conditioning the basket ahead of time by boiling it in some water for a half hour or so? I've heard that "unconditioned" aluminum can leech off-flavors into beer, but I wasn't sure whether this occurred at mash temperatures as well as boil temperature.
myth... don't worry about it
__________________
Mysticmead is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2011, 02:41 AM   #166
derpsperk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
myth... don't worry about it
Sweet, that's what I wanted to hear, thanks. But let's say I was hypothetically going to do a sour mash (kentucky common, berliner weisse, etc) in my aluminum BIAB vessel w/ unconditioned basket for 24 hrs or so. Would the extended contact time and increased acidity of the wort still be no problem?
__________________
derpsperk is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2011, 11:17 PM   #167
EoinMag
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Dublin, Ireland.
Posts: 1,177
Liked 60 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default

My wife has updated her blog and now has an order form for custom bags, makes the whole ordering thing a lot easier.

Check it out in my sig, we're selling a few bags a month depending on how we push it, but it's a small sideline nothing more serious, keeps her out of trouble while she's watching the kid

We'll update soon with more pics of some of the recent work.

__________________
http://beernvictuals.blogspot.com/20...rters-and.html
http://beernvictuals.blogspot.com

You didn't say you didn't love me, when you were stretched out across my bed
You're drinkin' moonshine whisky and talking all outta your head.
Rory Gallagher - Pistol Slapper Blues (Trad)
EoinMag is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2011, 11:34 PM   #168
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
seabass07's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brothell
Posts: 1,240
Liked 114 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpsperk View Post
Sweet, that's what I wanted to hear, thanks. But let's say I was hypothetically going to do a sour mash (kentucky common, berliner weisse, etc) in my aluminum BIAB vessel w/ unconditioned basket for 24 hrs or so. Would the extended contact time and increased acidity of the wort still be no problem?
What would the ph be in that case? From what I've read in white papers, the oxidized layer of aluminum can withstand from 4.5 - 8.5ph. Any extremes will remove that layer and react with the aluminum.

The conditioning is a bit misleading. Having the aluminum exposed to O2 will "condition" it. Boiling in water or having it in the oven will grow the oxidized layer more, but there will always be an oxidized layer on the aluminum since it is always in contact with the air.
__________________
seabass07 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2011, 11:52 PM   #169
EoinMag
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Dublin, Ireland.
Posts: 1,177
Liked 60 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass07 View Post
What would the ph be in that case? From what I've read in white papers, the oxidized layer of aluminum can withstand from 4.5 - 8.5ph. Any extremes will remove that layer and react with the aluminum.

The conditioning is a bit misleading. Having the aluminum exposed to O2 will "condition" it. Boiling in water or having it in the oven will grow the oxidized layer more, but there will always be an oxidized layer on the aluminum since it is always in contact with the air.
It'll hardly drop too low, star san effectively kills stuff at 3.5, I'd say it's barely going below 5.
__________________
http://beernvictuals.blogspot.com/20...rters-and.html
http://beernvictuals.blogspot.com

You didn't say you didn't love me, when you were stretched out across my bed
You're drinkin' moonshine whisky and talking all outta your head.
Rory Gallagher - Pistol Slapper Blues (Trad)
EoinMag is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2011, 12:39 AM   #170
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
seabass07's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brothell
Posts: 1,240
Liked 114 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Default

From a little research, it looks like a sour mash is used to bring the mash ph down to 5.2. In that case, there's definitely no issue with aluminum.

But remember that aluminum does not like star san.

__________________
seabass07 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another first BIAB stunsm BIAB Brewing 12 03-17-2013 09:35 PM
Anyone BIAB? ultravista All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 72 08-31-2012 12:50 AM
1st AG, 1st BIAB results w/ pics mattmcl All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 09-13-2011 01:48 AM
A nice Podcast on BIAB from one of the Pioneers of BIAB gunner65 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 0 02-26-2011 12:24 AM
Brew day - brewing a duvel clone! (pics attached) Steve973 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 01-22-2007 01:29 PM