The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #1471
Handsaw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I finally went out and looked for myself. Here is a link to how tannins get extracted.
I guess with BIAB we don't have to worry about the ph so much since we don't sparge and we really don't have to do a mash out either so even temperature isn't an issue.

I reckon I will go with the Victory or Corona mill.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #1472
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 175 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 161

I think I saw something about doing a mash out at 170F with BIAB due to increased efficiency (I think). Are you saying I shouldn't raise the temp for a mash out for 10 mins?

Old 03-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #1473
MikeyLXT
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just did a high gravity beer with this method. 18 lbs of grains and hit 75% efficiency (1.080 OG at 6 gallons). It was still a bit of a rough day lifting and squeezing that bag even with a deck overhead to run a rope.

The only problem was that my boil off rate wasn't as high as much as i suspected so I ended up with 6 gallons instead of 5.5. The end result is my OG was a bit low but my efficiency was at 75%. So yes it is possible to do a higher gravity brew just be prepared fora little extra work.

My next high gravity beer will be a Barley Wine attempt....may have to invite some friends over to help with that and refine my hoist system as well.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #1474
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel View Post
I think I saw something about doing a mash out at 170F with BIAB due to increased efficiency (I think). Are you saying I shouldn't raise the temp for a mash out for 10 mins?

some say that a mashout increases efficiency, others say it doesn't make a difference. Raise teh temp for a mashout and don't worry about it. the temp increase is a VERY VERY small factor in extracting tannins. PH is the main cause of tannin extraction and not a worry in BIAB

Old 03-18-2013, 11:42 PM   #1475
fuzzy2133
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyLXT View Post
Just did a high gravity beer with this method. 18 lbs of grains and hit 75% efficiency (1.080 OG at 6 gallons). It was still a bit of a rough day lifting and squeezing that bag even with a deck overhead to run a rope.

The only problem was that my boil off rate wasn't as high as much as i suspected so I ended up with 6 gallons instead of 5.5. The end result is my OG was a bit low but my efficiency was at 75%. So yes it is possible to do a higher gravity brew just be prepared fora little extra work.

My next high gravity beer will be a Barley Wine attempt....may have to invite some friends over to help with that and refine my hoist system as well.
I have some of these for when I go BIAB.
Dual Rope Pulley

Up Next: Pale Ale once things slow down on the weekends.
Primary: Empty
Secondary: 1 Gal Oaked JAOM (4/8/14)
Bottled: Vanilla Stout (5/18/14), Coffee Stout (6/22/14)
Aging: JAOM (4/8/14)
Drinking: Blend of 3 SMaSH's (Bottled Experiment)

Old 03-19-2013, 01:52 AM   #1476
mtnagel
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyLXT View Post

Can you explain how you connected the rope to the bag? Did you use a voile bag?

I'm doing my first BIAB this weekend. A 17 lbs stout. Not sure the best way to attach the bag to the rope. I haven't settled on my method yet. Maybe string it over my aluminum latter. Maybe hold it over the kettle for a bit and then put it over my oven rack.

I plan on doing a practice run (not using the actual grains) when my bag is done this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead View Post
some say that a mashout increases efficiency, others say it doesn't make a difference. Raise teh temp for a mashout and don't worry about it. the temp increase is a VERY VERY small factor in extracting tannins. PH is the main cause of tannin extraction and not a worry in BIAB
Thanks much!

Old 03-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #1477
Handsaw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I got a block and tackle off of ebay and that seemed to be overkill until I got a single ratcheting pulley from Home Depot and realized that required too much work so I went back to the block and tackle.
I attach the rope to the bag by just gathering the top of the bag and tying a clove hitch around it down from the top a little bit.
I just use a big piece of voile, not even a bag. That way there are no seams to worry about. I may go to a real bag when this wears out.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #1478
mtnagel
Recipes 

Looks like I need to learn how to tie some knots I saw someone use a noose too. I was worried that the bag would slip out of whatever knot I made, but I guess that isn't a problem as there is enough friction in the material maybe??

Old 03-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #1479
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 380 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel View Post
Looks like I need to learn how to tie some knots I saw someone use a noose too. I was worried that the bag would slip out of whatever knot I made, but I guess that isn't a problem as there is enough friction in the material maybe??

It is not nearly as difficult as you might imagine, all you need to is wrap a cord tight several times around the gathered bag and tie tightly.

here is 120 lbs held in a bag just gathered and tied with a strap wrapped around several times and tied.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/biab...h-test-384445/

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0
mtnagel Likes This 
Old 03-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #1480
mtnagel
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post

It is not nearly as difficult as you might imagine, all you need to is wrap a cord tight several times around the gathered bag and tie tightly.

here is 120 lbs held in a bag just gathered and tied with a strap wrapped around several times and tied.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/biab...h-test-384445/
Thanks for the video and I had seen your strength test. Much appreciated.

Quick Reply