The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013, 04:37 AM   #1381
robcj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGiantsFan925
Any idea what would contribute to a "grain" aftertaste??

I have brewed 4 BIAB batches now, and my last 2 (EdWorts Bavarian Hefe, and a Belgian Blonde). Both have a "grain" aftertaste. The beer tastes great, but its almost like a very prominent grain flavor in the finish that seems to last quite a long time. I dont get this in any of the commercial beers I have tried. Not sure what would make this. All my beers have finished under 1.020, around 1.014 or so, and I have been getting low 70% eff.. So, I dont really know what it would be.

Is it due to the Wheat used in the recipes? My Pale Ale using the same BIAB method doesnt have the flavor. Unless its just covered up by the hops in it.

Any idea what would cause this??
I had this happen to a light blonde ale when I left a direct fired mash unattended and the temperature actually creeped above 180F for a short time. Resulted in an awful grainy, husky aftertaste. Upfront the beer was clean and clear but there was an unpleasant residual grainy flavour with some astringency.

Could your aftertaste be caused by a similar but less obvious temperature issue? If you apply heat to your mash to maintain your temperature, the bottom of the mash can be significantly hotter than the top, depending on how much you stir. I find keeping a consistent and uniform mash temperature is the trickiest part of BIAB. A faulty thermometer could also be to blame.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 06:40 AM   #1382
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 984 Times on 610 Posts
Likes Given: 2659

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcj View Post
I had this happen to a light blonde ale when I left a direct fired mash unattended and the temperature actually creeped above 180F for a short time. Resulted in an awful grainy, husky aftertaste. Upfront the beer was clean and clear but there was an unpleasant residual grainy flavour with some astringency.

Could your aftertaste be caused by a similar but less obvious temperature issue? If you apply heat to your mash to maintain your temperature, the bottom of the mash can be significantly hotter than the top, depending on how much you stir. I find keeping a consistent and uniform mash temperature is the trickiest part of BIAB. A faulty thermometer could also be to blame.
This is why I don't direct fire when I BIAB. I just cover the pot in blankets and let it ride. I don't sweat a little temp loss over the coarse of an hour mash. I start with a high(ish) mash temp and let it drop, and I usually end up with medium body. That's what I usually prefer, so no harm-no foul.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #1383
ChrisL_
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier

This is why I don't direct fire when I BIAB. I just cover the pot in blankets and let it ride. I don't sweat a little temp loss over the coarse of an hour mash. I start with a high(ish) mash temp and let it drop, and I usually end up with medium body. That's what I usually prefer, so no harm-no foul.
I recently did my first BIAB and I was concerned about temp loss but like you I wrapped the pot in a couple of blankets and started my mash 1 degree over my target and it slowly dropped to 1 degree under by the 55 minute mark before going 2 under. It is still fermenting now, but I am guessing that close on the temps will be just fine.

When putting my fermentor away I found some extra of the refletix wrap I used to wrap our water heater. So i am going to use some stick on Velcro and make a "mash cozy" for it to try on my next batch.

Keg #1 Chocolate Coconut Stout
Keg #2 Orange Honey Hefe
Keg #3 Dead Guy Ale

Old 02-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #1384
hiphopperforever
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewitt View Post
hiphopperforever: My Old Rasputin clone has an OG of about 1.090 which I hit without much problem. I do a 90 minute boil so start out with extra volume and my efficiency is about 70%. I find a drop in efficiency at these high OGs. Nevertheless, I'm sure you can get to 1.1 without losing too much.
Yes, I had a brewhouse efficiency of 68% on my last boil which was an Arrogant Bastard Clone with an OG of 1.066. Is it possible to get better efficiency with high gravity BIAB, or do you just need to beef up your quantities to compensate?

Old 02-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #1385
trainwreck
Recipes 

where do most of you get your supplies for grains / etc?

Old 02-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #1386
SFGiantsFan925
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 349 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainwreck View Post
where do most of you get your supplies for grains / etc?
I would assume most are getting it at their Local homebrew store (LHBS). There a plenty of online places to get them if you do not have a local store. Brewmasters warehouse, austin homebrew, midwestern supply, morebeer, and plenty more. Everything you need online.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #1387
hiphopperforever
Recipes 

Oh boy. Had the day off today and was looking forward to doing a BIAB batch of Stone Ruination. Things started off ok, but while raising the temp to 170 for mash out, I smelled something funny. Sure enough burned a big hole in my viole bag. What a mess. Scooped out and strained out maybe 7 pounds of the 15 pounds of grain that managed to exit the hole when removing the bag from the keggle. By the time I was done, my wort was down to 130 degrees F and I was worried that I would run out of propane bringing it back up to boil temp. We have had a lot of snow as of late, and apparently most places haven't shoveled out to the propane tank or exchange. Finally found propane and by the time I got back, sure enough it had run out.

I made beer, but it sure ain't right. Not sure how the melted viole will effect the beer. The boil smelled bad and almost gave me a bit of a headache.

Will be looking into a way to keep the bag off the bottom, and or going to electric brewing. I seem to be able to do about 4 batches on a 20 gallon propane tank (brewing temps in the 20s in the garage.)

Old 02-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #1388
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Since it seems many are using either full boils.. or close to it.. is there ANY reason why I should be concerned with pH as with in going a tier system and a mash tun? I haven't read thru all the notes here.. just about 75 pages.. so, wondering what you all think. My house water is right at a pH of 7-7.1.. but I read that the grains... at least in a MT drop the wort down into the low to high 5's.

Also.. using voile for the bags.. does voile come in different meshes? I saw one person took a picture of his/her's with a penny on the material.. that looked VERY fine. Is that about what the Bed Bath or WalMart curtain material is like?

I'm anxious to get started in this. I just started assembling a tiered system and found this thread and it looks SOOOO much simpler. (yah, I know there will be a learning curve )

Old 02-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #1389
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiphopperforever View Post
Oh boy. Had the day off today and was looking forward to doing a BIAB batch of Stone Ruination. Things started off ok, but while raising the temp to 170 for mash out, I smelled something funny. Sure enough burned a big hole in my viole bag. What a mess. Scooped out and strained out maybe 7 pounds of the 15 pounds of grain that managed to exit the hole when removing the bag from the keggle. By the time I was done, my wort was down to 130 degrees F and I was worried that I would run out of propane bringing it back up to boil temp. We have had a lot of snow as of late, and apparently most places haven't shoveled out to the propane tank or exchange. Finally found propane and by the time I got back, sure enough it had run out.

I made beer, but it sure ain't right. Not sure how the melted viole will effect the beer. The boil smelled bad and almost gave me a bit of a headache.

Will be looking into a way to keep the bag off the bottom, and or going to electric brewing. I seem to be able to do about 4 batches on a 20 gallon propane tank (brewing temps in the 20s in the garage.)
lets hope it turns out OK... me, I would have probably dumped it if there were melted voile floating around in it and it smelled bad.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #1390
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeGnomes View Post
Since it seems many are using either full boils.. or close to it.. is there ANY reason why I should be concerned with pH as with in going a tier system and a mash tun? I haven't read thru all the notes here.. just about 75 pages.. so, wondering what you all think. My house water is right at a pH of 7-7.1.. but I read that the grains... at least in a MT drop the wort down into the low to high 5's.

Also.. using voile for the bags.. does voile come in different meshes? I saw one person took a picture of his/her's with a penny on the material.. that looked VERY fine. Is that about what the Bed Bath or WalMart curtain material is like?

I'm anxious to get started in this. I just started assembling a tiered system and found this thread and it looks SOOOO much simpler. (yah, I know there will be a learning curve )

As long as your PH is in the 5's you'll be fine. I never bothered to check my PH and have had no problems or off flavors. Maybe my PH from my well is just made for brewing beer

Voile, yep it's real fine. the curtain material should be the same stuff. if in doubt, go to a fabric store (like Joann's) and buy a yard or 2 of the fabric. its cheap

Quick Reply