Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #1351
ChrisL_
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
A small batch in a cold garage will be tricky to hold temperature, BUT, that is not saying it won't work. Conversion can happen very quickly! For small batch brewing, I would mash inside in a warm oven to hold temp., and boil in the garage, or for that matter do it all inside in frosty canada. Towels may not be the best insulation, perhaps zip an old winter parka around the kettle next time.

BIAB typically relies on the mass of grain to hold temp.

Another wild idea I just had would be to mash in your smaller kettle inside your larger kettle acting like a double boiler, this would reduce temp. swing and loss and allow you to gently heat the mash....but add difficulty
The double boiler is interesting, but another level of work which I am hoping to avoid by choosing about BIAB. I will do the sleeping bag wrap and hope it turns out. I have heard of not crying over spilt milk, but what about ruined beer?

Reason: typo

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #1352
ChrisL_
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcj View Post
Also... My advice is to buy the biggest pot you can afford and make the biggest batches it will permit. Airspace is just the absence of beer. I realized quickly that it takes no more effort to brew 5, 10 or 20 gallons than it does to brew 2.5 gallons.
I am not worried about the extra work of a larger batch. I just really don't drink quickly enough and am too old for big parties
The other thing is that I am actually looking forward to the actual brewing process, plus I want to try many different styles and recipes. Having said that, I am giong with a 36qt pot which should allow me to move to a 5gallon batch if desired. Maybe I just need to start drinking more

Old 02-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #1353
slcdawg
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I did my second BIAB last night, the Saison kit from Northern Brewer. This time around I got 93% and overshot my OG by 16 points! 1.072 instead of 1.052. Had to add quite a bit of water. I found this hard to believe and measured twice.

The difference between this and my first batch was I mashed for 90 min instead of 60 and sparged with 1 gallon (in addition to a mash out and squeezing).

I def need to work on consistency.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #1354
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 506 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcdawg View Post
This time around I got 93% and overshot my OG by 16 points! 1.072 instead of 1.052.
Wow...I'm short for words...1.072 is a lot of points and 93%...wow.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #1355
ChrisL_
Recipes 

Well my first ever batch is in the fermenter :-). A BIAB Punkin Ale (thanks Reno_Envy for the great recipe). It was a busy day as I scrambled around trying not to forget anything. But it worked out. I had about 75 efficiency and it is in the fermentor now. My one worry before starting was not a big deal. I wondered about holding my mash temp but I wrapped my pot in a couple of blankets and held it within 1 degree until the last 5 minutes or so.
Here are a few pics of my brew day.

image-457128698.jpg   image-3847654806.jpg   image-1825304116.jpg  

Keg #1 Chocolate Coconut Stout
Keg #2 Orange Honey Hefe
Keg #3 Dead Guy Ale

Old 02-11-2013, 11:01 PM   #1356
SFGiantsFan925
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 368 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 240

Any idea what would contribute to a "grain" aftertaste??

I have brewed 4 BIAB batches now, and my last 2 (EdWorts Bavarian Hefe, and a Belgian Blonde). Both have a "grain" aftertaste. The beer tastes great, but its almost like a very prominent grain flavor in the finish that seems to last quite a long time. I dont get this in any of the commercial beers I have tried. Not sure what would make this. All my beers have finished under 1.020, around 1.014 or so, and I have been getting low 70% eff.. So, I dont really know what it would be.

Is it due to the Wheat used in the recipes? My Pale Ale using the same BIAB method doesnt have the flavor. Unless its just covered up by the hops in it.

Any idea what would cause this??

Old 02-11-2013, 11:42 PM   #1357
slc12312
Recipes 

I like it. Is that a 10 gallon Blickman (on the original post)? What suggestions does anyone have in terms of basket and brew pot for 10 gallon batches. I'm thinking a 20 gallon pot, but don't know about the basket. Would that Bayou Classic model B144 be large enough to hold the grain bill for a mash? I'm completely new to this, so I really don't know. I will of course be starting with 5 gallon batches, until I know just what in the heck I am doing.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:59 PM   #1358
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 506 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Yes a 20 gallon pot is a nice size for 10 gal BIAB. Using a basket is optional IMHO, I prefer to just use a bag, I have never used a basket and have done many BIAB batches.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #1359
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGiantsFan925
Any idea what would contribute to a "grain" aftertaste??

I have brewed 4 BIAB batches now, and my last 2 (EdWorts Bavarian Hefe, and a Belgian Blonde). Both have a "grain" aftertaste. The beer tastes great, but its almost like a very prominent grain flavor in the finish that seems to last quite a long time. I dont get this in any of the commercial beers I have tried. Not sure what would make this. All my beers have finished under 1.020, around 1.014 or so, and I have been getting low 70% eff.. So, I dont really know what it would be.

Is it due to the Wheat used in the recipes? My Pale Ale using the same BIAB method doesnt have the flavor. Unless its just covered up by the hops in it.

Any idea what would cause this??
Not sure I'd this applies - but when I have tastes what I would describe as grain - the beer was young/green - and it dissipated with time in the keg.

Also, I assume you are no just tasting freshness. What is your base grain? Perhaps a different base will change that? Have all the grain-ey batches been with the same recipe? I assume the wheat you use in a pale ale is in the 5% range - and I can't imagine this doing it, but perhaps if there is more wheat it could.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #1360
2DogsBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have used a 15g pot for some normal gravity 10g batches. Pushes the limits, frankly, but it did work. A 20g pot is just a dream for me at this point....

I sure am gonna miss her....

Quick Reply