Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #1291
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 38 Posts

What's the take on recirculating the wort back through the bag during mash out before lifting out the bag and squeezing? Would this help clear up the wort or help efficiencies or just a useless step?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 02:07 PM   #1292
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 571 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobdee View Post
What's the take on recirculating the wort back through the bag during mash out before lifting out the bag and squeezing? Would this help clear up the wort or help efficiencies or just a useless step?
IMHO a useless step...the beauty of BIAB is simplicity, why fix it if it aint broke.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #1293
mirogster
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

+1 Also if You want to 'flush' all the residual sugars left in the mash. It's better to use dunk sparge, or pour few qts of 170'ish water. Those volumes you must take into account at pre vs post boil volume calculations.
Wort can be cleared during whirpool & transfer to the FV.
BIAB is all about simplicity, couln't agree more

Old 01-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #1294
mcshaw16
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made the decision to switch to all grain this year using this method, thanks for all the great info!

I had to upgrade to a bigger pot and propane burner, while I was at it, fitted my new pot with a whirlpool pickup, ball vavle, thermometer, and gauge glass. As of right now, planning to use a large paint strainer bag, my pot came with the boil basket so I won't have to rely on the strength of the bag to hold the grains once removed, is this ok, or should I use something with a tighter mesh?

My first recipe will be EdWorts Haus Pale Ale, probably this Saturday, really looking forward to it! I ordered my grains from NB and asked for a double crush, they said they would attach a note to my order but couldn't guarantee it due to the way the orders are processed. I ordered an extra lb of 2-row incase I only get the single crush.

Thanks again

Old 01-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #1295
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcshaw16 View Post
I made the decision to switch to all grain this year using this method, thanks for all the great info!

I had to upgrade to a bigger pot and propane burner, while I was at it, fitted my new pot with a whirlpool pickup, ball vavle, thermometer, and gauge glass. As of right now, planning to use a large paint strainer bag, my pot came with the boil basket so I won't have to rely on the strength of the bag to hold the grains once removed, is this ok, or should I use something with a tighter mesh?

My first recipe will be EdWorts Haus Pale Ale, probably this Saturday, really looking forward to it! I ordered my grains from NB and asked for a double crush, they said they would attach a note to my order but couldn't guarantee it due to the way the orders are processed. I ordered an extra lb of 2-row incase I only get the single crush.

Thanks again
make sure that the thermometer doesn't interfere with the basket or grain bag. Also look at getting a voile bag made or making one yourself. Paint strainers work to get you started, but voile is cheap if you make it your self (mine cost about $3 to make). Other than that. Welcome to BIAB. You're going to make some incredible beers.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:21 AM   #1296
johns
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I talked with my guy at the LHBS the other day and mentioned BIAB. I asked him about efficiency and he respond with 45 percent. I was a bit taken back by this, and I know he has brewed more beer then I have, so there is a certain amount of respect there. Then I went on to tell him about the crush and he came back with a finer crush would result in astringency problems. So is it true that astringency comes into play in a finer crush?

Any ideas or comments about this? Thanks in advance

Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder
WC Fields
Kegged: two heartednot, cascade, ale, pumpkin ale, rye ale.
Bottled: Mambo in your mouth,
Primary: imperal brown
Secondary: two hearednot, 2 fisted IPA, chimay white, breakfast stout

Old 01-18-2013, 01:28 AM   #1297
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns View Post
I talked with my guy at the LHBS the other day and mentioned BIAB. I asked him about efficiency and he respond with 45 percent. I was a bit taken back by this, and I know he has brewed more beer then I have, so there is a certain amount of respect there. Then I went on to tell him about the crush and he came back with a finer crush would result in astringency problems. So is it true that astringency comes into play in a finer crush?

All false in my opinion. My LHBS makes my crush to the point of nearly flour and my efficiency is nearly 80% No astringency. Sounds like he wants to sell you on a 3 vessel system.

Primary: Chesterfield wild(1 gal), Schepen
Bottled: SMASH, Chesterfield Wild, Summer In Sommelsdijk, Dog Days Saison
Up coming beers:

Old 01-18-2013, 01:54 AM   #1298
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb82 View Post
All false in my opinion. My LHBS makes my crush to the point of nearly flour and my efficiency is nearly 80% No astringency. Sounds like he wants to sell you on a 3 vessel system.
unless the guy at your LHBS brews BIAB on a regular basis, then he would NOT be the person to ask. The finer crush will not cause astringency issues, neither will squeezing the bag. I crush my own grains but I crush real fine. I also get 78+%. The LHBS guy was trying to turn you away from BIAB most likely because he had heard it was not as good as traditional 3v.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:10 AM   #1299
Antler
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns

My LHBS guy doesnt sell AG equipment. I stopped listening to him when he told me all grain beer was a whole lot of extra work with the same end results as canned beer kits, and bottling from a keg without filtering is what causes bottle bombs.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:26 AM   #1300
johns
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I know another guy that use to own his own LHBS and he always made beer using extract. His reasoning was that it was easier and it cost about the same.

On this site there seems to be to ideologies. On that loves BIAB and the other that swears by a tri vessel system. I am almost certain that the guy I spoke with did not brew often using BIAB. Maybe he did once with poor results. Not really sure why he brought up the subject on astringency. I am almost positive he uses the 3v system.

On a side note, I am convinced on BIAB for going AG. If it does not work then I could always use the equipment for a 3v system. Presently, I do a partial mash and look forward to AG. I still have to get the equipment and will let everyone know how it goes.

Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder
WC Fields
Kegged: two heartednot, cascade, ale, pumpkin ale, rye ale.
Bottled: Mambo in your mouth,
Primary: imperal brown
Secondary: two hearednot, 2 fisted IPA, chimay white, breakfast stout

Quick Reply