Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2011, 06:32 PM   #121
Kaz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I just racked a BIAB All grain batch of pale ale to keg last night, using nothing but Irish Moss in the boil, no crash cooling or anything and it looked as clear as any other brew I've done. I'm betting a couple of weeks in the fridge at 38F and it will be crystal clear.

Draft 1: Lightly smoked Weizen
Draft 2: Belgian Wit
Draft 3: Rauchbier

Primary 1: German Scwarzbier
Primary 2:

On Deck: Belgian Brown Ale, Pale Ale, Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #122
Philip_T
Recipes 

So, I'm getting ready to try the AG BIAB method soon, and I'm trying figure out my water volume needed, but my head is starting to spin and just need some clarification.

I only have a 32 qt (8 gal) kettle, and I'm wanting to brew a IIPA that calls for ~13-14 lbs of grains, so I don't think I'll have enough volume to do a no sparge method. I have another stock pot that is approximately 3.5 gallons, so that should work for the access water/sparge dunk needed.

Here's the question.

If I want to finish with approximately 4.5 gallons....does this look correct?
4.5 + 1.5 (90 minute boil off) + 1.4 absorption (14*.1) + .25 trub = 7.65 total water needed.
obviously, I can't put 7.65 gallons of water in my 8 gallon kettle and expect 14 lbs of grains to fit, so I need to remove about 2 to 2.5 gallons of water and use it as a sparge dunk.

Does this sound right?

Old 05-13-2011, 05:14 PM   #123
wrench
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_T View Post
So, I'm getting ready to try the AG BIAB method soon, and I'm trying figure out my water volume needed, but my head is starting to spin and just need some clarification.

I only have a 32 qt (8 gal) kettle, and I'm wanting to brew a IIPA that calls for ~13-14 lbs of grains, so I don't think I'll have enough volume to do a no sparge method. I have another stock pot that is approximately 3.5 gallons, so that should work for the access water/sparge dunk needed.

Here's the question.

4.5 + 1.5 (90 minute boil off) + 1.4 absorption (14*.1) + .25 trub = 7.65 total water needed.
obviously, I can't put 7.65 gallons of water in my 8 gallon kettle and expect 14 lbs of grains to fit, so I need to remove about 2 to 2.5 gallons of water and use it as a sparge dunk.

Does this sound right?
Check out "Can I mash it" at http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml. 5 gallons (7.65 total - 2.65 for sparge) = 20 qts. 20qts/14lbs = 1.43 qts/lb. Plug that in with your 14lb grain bill and you get a hair over 6 gallons of needed mash tun volume. You should be all set, at least in theory. Boiling 7+ gallons in an 8 gallon pot is a whole different story.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #124
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_T View Post

Here's the question.

Does this sound right?
that'll work

Old 05-13-2011, 05:27 PM   #125
Philip_T
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench View Post
Check out "Can I mash it" at http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml. 5 gallons (7.65 total - 2.65 for sparge) = 20 qts. 20qts/14lbs = 1.43 qts/lb. Plug that in with your 14lb grain bill and you get a hair over 6 gallons of needed mash tun volume. You should be all set, at least in theory. Boiling 7+ gallons in an 8 gallon pot is a whole different story.
Thanks wrench. I've never tried to boil that much volume in my kettle, but at least it will be with a turkey fryer and not on the stove top.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:31 PM   #126
Philip_T
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead View Post
that'll work
Thanks Mystic.....looks like all systems are go for next weekend!

Old 05-13-2011, 05:49 PM   #127
thughes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Try this spreadsheet I put together to save me trouble. (Math is hard...)

Here's the formula I used:

=SUM(C1+(C2*C3)+(C4*C5)+C6+C7-C8)

C1=desired finish volume (gallons)
C2=grain weight (pounds)
C3=grain absorption (gallon/pound)
C4=boil-off rate (gallon/hour)
C5=boil time (hours)
C6=kettle loss (gallons)
C7=fermenter loss (gallons)
C8=starter size (gallons)
SUM=total water volume needed (gallons)

Edit: can't do attachments.

nurture my pig

crapstash Likes This 
Old 05-13-2011, 05:56 PM   #128
Mysticmead
Recipes 

you won't be boiling 7+ gallons.. once you subtract the absorption amount you're in the 6 gallon range. that's doable in an 8 gallon brew pot you just have to be ready to cut the heat to avoid a boil over.. or better yet, keep a spray bottle of cold water handy to spray the foam..

Old 05-13-2011, 06:32 PM   #129
Philip_T
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead View Post
you won't be boiling 7+ gallons.. once you subtract the absorption amount you're in the 6 gallon range. that's doable in an 8 gallon brew pot you just have to be ready to cut the heat to avoid a boil over.. or better yet, keep a spray bottle of cold water handy to spray the foam..
That makes sense. Say I start with 5 gallons for mashing and 2.65 for sparge. I will lose 1.4 gallons from the 5 to leave me with 3.6...then add the 2.65 for 6.25. Actually, will probably be a little under that with some additional absorption of the sparge water. Say 6 gallons to boil for 90 minutes with 1.5 gal boil off = 4.5 gallons.

Thanks for the formula thughes, I'll plug that into excel for future use.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:55 PM   #130
Mysticmead
Recipes 

the grain isn't going to absorb much (if any) more with the sparge.. but you're on the right track.

Quick Reply