Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #1281
Euphist
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 32

You can boil in aluminum. Just don't scrub off the aluminum oxide layer inside (it should NOT be shiny). My kettle is a commercial grade 60 qt aluminum pot that I got from a caterer that was going out of business.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #1282
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman190 View Post
Question. Is it ok to cook your mash in an aluminum pot? Just as long as your not fermenting in an aluminum pot right??
Yes it's fine to use aluminum. As said, don't scrub it unless you have to. If you do boil some water to get the oxidation to form again

Old 01-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #1283
BroStefan
Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman190
Question. Is it ok to cook your mash in an aluminum pot? Just as long as your not fermenting in an aluminum pot right??
No problem with Aluminum kettles. If you have a new one and boil water in it for 30 minutes or more. This will stabilize to surface. I nick in this layer is not a big problem, it will reestablish itself in a regular wort boil.

Primary - Tripel

Conditioning -
Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere clone

Tap 1 - Apple Pie Cyser
Tap 2 - Mosiac Pale Malt SMaSH
Tap 3 - Munich Helles
Tap 4 - Long Winters Nap Barley Wine - 2014
Bottles - Cream of Three Crops Cream Ale, 6 Jolly Fellows Porter, Long Winters Nap Barley Wine - 2012 & 2013, Flanders Red, & some odds and ends

In the bullpen:

Imperial English Porter
House Pale Ale
Semisweet Straight Mead

Old 01-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #1284
iceman190
Recipes 

Thanks for all the info.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #1285
Pointyskull
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 20

This thread has been great! I'm preparing to move to BIAB for my next batch....

Old 01-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #1286
wormraper
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

did my first 3.5 gallon BIAB batch the other day and I'm kinda hooked on all grain. wanna try another batch but don't want to have to go as small as 3 gallon batches again (just as much effort for only 60% the beer). I have a 5 gallon pot and a 7.5 gallon pot. which isn't a big deal for doing 5 gallon batches, the REAL issue is that my stove DOES NOT like to boil above 4.5 MAX 5 gallons of liquid at a time... and even then it's not the greatest boil.

I was thinking. if I split the grains evenly into TWO BIAB bags and did a 2.5 gallon BIAB in each pot simultaneously THEN combined them in the ale pail and pitch my yeast like normal I could do a full 5 gallon batch without having to go out and buy a burner, and propane re-fill to do it outside on the burner. Does that sound like it will work ok?

Old 01-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #1287
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 503 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
did my first 3.5 gallon BIAB batch the other day and I'm kinda hooked on all grain. wanna try another batch but don't want to have to go as small as 3 gallon batches again (just as much effort for only 60% the beer). I have a 5 gallon pot and a 7.5 gallon pot. which isn't a big deal for doing 5 gallon batches, the REAL issue is that my stove DOES NOT like to boil above 4.5 MAX 5 gallons of liquid at a time... and even then it's not the greatest boil.

I was thinking. if I split the grains evenly into TWO BIAB bags and did a 2.5 gallon BIAB in each pot simultaneously THEN combined them in the ale pail and pitch my yeast like normal I could do a full 5 gallon batch without having to go out and buy a burner, and propane re-fill to do it outside on the burner. Does that sound like it will work ok?
Yes, you can absolutely do a two pot mash and boil...just plan on a lot of boil-off given two pots. Just think of it as two small batches simultaneously. OH, and FWIW IMHO don't feel yoiu have to split everything to the micron...I would just divvy up between the pots and brew...little more, little less won't matter in that you are combining it all in the end anyways....cheers.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #1288
wormraper
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
Yes, you can absolutely do a two pot mash and boil...just plan on a lot of boil-off given two pots. Just think of it as two small batches simultaneously. OH, and FWIW IMHO don't feel yoiu have to split everything to the micron...I would just divvy up between the pots and brew...little more, little less won't matter in that you are combining it all in the end anyways....cheers.
sweet, that's what I thought, just wanted to make sure. I usually boil off 1/2 -2/3 of a gallon of water in 4ish gallon boil... is there a calculator or rule of them to guess how much water absorption I can expect from the grain + how much extra water I'll need to account for boil off when doing a 2.5 gallon (at the end) batch??? my first one I guessed and had to do a 90 minute boil to down to about 3.5 gallons

Old 01-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #1289
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

absorption is weight in lbs * .060= water absorbed.

say you had 10lbs of grain. 10 * .060 = .6 gallons absorbed. you can adjust that number up or down as needed depending on how hard you squeeze the grain bag.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:49 AM   #1290
christpuncher123
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post

Just boil 5-5.5 gal in your 7.5 gal pot then cool take an O.G. reading (it should be higher) then top it up with sterile water! The best thing about leaving a gallon or so out of your boil is you can nail your recipes O.G. every time!

Quick Reply