Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 12:27 AM   #1261
TheJasonT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

We got to about 2/3rds of the grain and had to add hot water just to be able to stir the mash. It was like oatmeal. Ridiculous.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #1262
SiriusStarr
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJasonT View Post
Yeah, that's exactly what happened. I did a 4.5 gallon mash with about 20 pounds of grain... In a pot just a bit too small. Normally my batches are about 10-14 pounds. Too thick this time.
O_O. That would be seriously thick. Today I brewed with 20 pounds of grain in an 11.9 gallon mash, so I can only imagine...
Bottled: Nothing! D:
Planned: Pliny clone. Brett cider. More 7 Stairs Pale Ale.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #1263
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 506 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJasonT View Post
I did a 4.5 gallon mash with about 20 pounds of grain... In a pot just a bit too small. Normally my batches are about 10-14 pounds. Too thick this time.
OMG, I wouldn't have even thought that possible! That's not a mash, more like malt conditioning

Old 01-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #1264
TheJasonT
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Hah! Yeah, luckily I RDWHAHB'd and said, you know what? I'm still going to have beer! Woohoo!

image-3906097785.jpg

Old 01-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #1265
bwirthlin
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 38 Posts

First all grain batch is a success!! Thanks for the help! I couldn't be happier. Had a bit of a time holding the mash temp but still managed to get my OG a bit higher than expected. All in all I'd say it was a success BIAB rules!! I can already taste a huge difference between this wort and an extract wort. I'll never go back

image-3879917550.jpg  
Old 01-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #1266
johns
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Nice congratulations

I am looking forward to my first BAIB sometime this year, but I also want to get everything in order. I have to order a new brew kettle. I want to brew 10 gallon batches of some heavy beers, or at least have the flexibility to do so. Therefore I am considering a 100 liter brew pot (if this does not work out then I could convert the pot to a 3v system). The reason behind this is, because an 80 litter might be enough but for the heavy stuff, there might not be enough room. A 100 litter pot would give me extra room for grain, however there is an issue with how high the wart will go. I am thinking 1.080. Am I right on this?

Next issue is with the trub. What is the best way to get rid of the trub? I have heard somewhere on this thread that whirl-pooling is a good idea, and I have also heard someone here say that by a double bag, like in a nylon paint strainer inside a voile material type bad that the trub was reduced by half? Which would be a better method and why? What if a combination of the two were to be applied? What would the final result be?

Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder
WC Fields

Kegged: Centennial Blond

Bottled: Mambo in your mouth, Cranberry mead, Peach Ginger mead, HopSlam, Citra DIPA

Primary: Vanilla Bean Dark Lord.

Secondary: Firestone Walker Wooky Jack

Old 01-08-2013, 12:13 AM   #1267
Antler
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns
Nice congratulations

I am looking forward to my first BAIB sometime this year, but I also want to get everything in order. I have to order a new brew kettle. I want to brew 10 gallon batches of some heavy beers, or at least have the flexibility to do so. Therefore I am considering a 100 liter brew pot (if this does not work out then I could convert the pot to a 3v system). The reason behind this is, because an 80 litter might be enough but for the heavy stuff, there might not be enough room. A 100 litter pot would give me extra room for grain, however there is an issue with how high the wart will go. I am thinking 1.080. Am I right on this?

Next issue is with the trub. What is the best way to get rid of the trub? I have heard somewhere on this thread that whirl-pooling is a good idea, and I have also heard someone here say that by a double bag, like in a nylon paint strainer inside a voile material type bad that the trub was reduced by half? Which would be a better method and why? What if a combination of the two were to be applied? What would the final result be?
You don't need a 100 liter brew pot. I've done 5 gallons of 1.060 wort in a 10 gallon pot. If you don't mind topping up with water after the mash (before the boil) you'll be fine with a 20 gallon pot for beers in that range. Lots of people use 15.5 gallon keggle to do 10 gallon BIAB.

As for trub I don't usually worry about it, let it all go into the fermenter. A couple of times I cleaned my grain bag after the mash, and put it into my fermenter. Transferred the wort into the fermenter and then pulled the bag out, all the trub stayed in the bag. Works good but I didn't see any real benefits compared to leaving trub in the fermenter.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:43 AM   #1268
philly224
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Excellent thread! I want to try an all grain batch and there are so many methods out there that require more equipment than I want to get right now. I have basically everything I need to do this method so I think I will give it a go! Thanks!

One question though, if you don't have the turkey frying basket what do you do? Just hang the bag by itself?

Old 01-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #1269
SiriusStarr

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly224 View Post
One question though, if you don't have the turkey frying basket what do you do? Just hang the bag by itself?
Get very tired arms. That is my method.
Bottled: Nothing! D:
Planned: Pliny clone. Brett cider. More 7 Stairs Pale Ale.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #1270
HBngNOK

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly224 View Post
Excellent thread! I want to try an all grain batch and there are so many methods out there that require more equipment than I want to get right now. I have basically everything I need to do this method so I think I will give it a go! Thanks!

Adapt and overcome. Improvise. Endeavor to persevere.

Large colander
Pizza screen
Grill grate
3 or 4 dowels
etc....

Quick Reply