Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 12:27 AM   #1261
TheJasonT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 407
Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

We got to about 2/3rds of the grain and had to add hot water just to be able to stir the mash. It was like oatmeal. Ridiculous.

__________________
Thrive Brewing Company
www.facebook.com/PolarisBrewing
F1 - Empty F2 - Empty F3 - Empty F4 - Empty
TheJasonT is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #1262
SiriusStarr
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SiriusStarr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 332
Liked 105 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJasonT View Post
Yeah, that's exactly what happened. I did a 4.5 gallon mash with about 20 pounds of grain... In a pot just a bit too small. Normally my batches are about 10-14 pounds. Too thick this time.
O_O. That would be seriously thick. Today I brewed with 20 pounds of grain in an 11.9 gallon mash, so I can only imagine...
__________________
Kitsune Brewing Co. (Add me on Untappd.)
Fermenters: 100% Brett Cider.
Aging: Second Sun (Orange Guava Cider); First Blood (Wild Cherry Cider); JAOM; Unnamed Holiday Apfelwein.
Bottled: Nothing! D:
Planned: Pliny clone. Brett cider. More 7 Stairs Pale Ale.
SiriusStarr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #1263
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
 
wilserbrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jersey Shore, Jersey
Posts: 6,995
Liked 506 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJasonT View Post
I did a 4.5 gallon mash with about 20 pounds of grain... In a pot just a bit too small. Normally my batches are about 10-14 pounds. Too thick this time.
OMG, I wouldn't have even thought that possible! That's not a mash, more like malt conditioning
wilserbrewer is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #1264
TheJasonT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 407
Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Hah! Yeah, luckily I RDWHAHB'd and said, you know what? I'm still going to have beer! Woohoo!

image-3906097785.jpg

__________________
Thrive Brewing Company
www.facebook.com/PolarisBrewing
F1 - Empty F2 - Empty F3 - Empty F4 - Empty
TheJasonT is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #1265
bwirthlin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 218
Liked 53 Times on 38 Posts

Default

First all grain batch is a success!! Thanks for the help! I couldn't be happier. Had a bit of a time holding the mash temp but still managed to get my OG a bit higher than expected. All in all I'd say it was a success BIAB rules!! I can already taste a huge difference between this wort and an extract wort. I'll never go back

image-3879917550.jpg  
__________________
bwirthlin is offline
gnarlyhopper Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #1266
johns
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: warrenville, illinios
Posts: 453
Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default

Nice congratulations

I am looking forward to my first BAIB sometime this year, but I also want to get everything in order. I have to order a new brew kettle. I want to brew 10 gallon batches of some heavy beers, or at least have the flexibility to do so. Therefore I am considering a 100 liter brew pot (if this does not work out then I could convert the pot to a 3v system). The reason behind this is, because an 80 litter might be enough but for the heavy stuff, there might not be enough room. A 100 litter pot would give me extra room for grain, however there is an issue with how high the wart will go. I am thinking 1.080. Am I right on this?

Next issue is with the trub. What is the best way to get rid of the trub? I have heard somewhere on this thread that whirl-pooling is a good idea, and I have also heard someone here say that by a double bag, like in a nylon paint strainer inside a voile material type bad that the trub was reduced by half? Which would be a better method and why? What if a combination of the two were to be applied? What would the final result be?

__________________

Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder
WC Fields

Kegged: Centennial Blond

Bottled: Mambo in your mouth, Cranberry mead, Peach Ginger mead, HopSlam, Citra DIPA

Primary: Vanilla Bean Dark Lord.

Secondary: Firestone Walker Wooky Jack

johns is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 12:13 AM   #1267
Antler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Carbonear, Nl
Posts: 710
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns
Nice congratulations

I am looking forward to my first BAIB sometime this year, but I also want to get everything in order. I have to order a new brew kettle. I want to brew 10 gallon batches of some heavy beers, or at least have the flexibility to do so. Therefore I am considering a 100 liter brew pot (if this does not work out then I could convert the pot to a 3v system). The reason behind this is, because an 80 litter might be enough but for the heavy stuff, there might not be enough room. A 100 litter pot would give me extra room for grain, however there is an issue with how high the wart will go. I am thinking 1.080. Am I right on this?

Next issue is with the trub. What is the best way to get rid of the trub? I have heard somewhere on this thread that whirl-pooling is a good idea, and I have also heard someone here say that by a double bag, like in a nylon paint strainer inside a voile material type bad that the trub was reduced by half? Which would be a better method and why? What if a combination of the two were to be applied? What would the final result be?
You don't need a 100 liter brew pot. I've done 5 gallons of 1.060 wort in a 10 gallon pot. If you don't mind topping up with water after the mash (before the boil) you'll be fine with a 20 gallon pot for beers in that range. Lots of people use 15.5 gallon keggle to do 10 gallon BIAB.

As for trub I don't usually worry about it, let it all go into the fermenter. A couple of times I cleaned my grain bag after the mash, and put it into my fermenter. Transferred the wort into the fermenter and then pulled the bag out, all the trub stayed in the bag. Works good but I didn't see any real benefits compared to leaving trub in the fermenter.
__________________
Antler is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 04:43 AM   #1268
philly224
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 87
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default

Excellent thread! I want to try an all grain batch and there are so many methods out there that require more equipment than I want to get right now. I have basically everything I need to do this method so I think I will give it a go! Thanks!

One question though, if you don't have the turkey frying basket what do you do? Just hang the bag by itself?

__________________
philly224 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #1269
SiriusStarr
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SiriusStarr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 332
Liked 105 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly224 View Post
One question though, if you don't have the turkey frying basket what do you do? Just hang the bag by itself?
Get very tired arms. That is my method.
__________________
Kitsune Brewing Co. (Add me on Untappd.)
Fermenters: 100% Brett Cider.
Aging: Second Sun (Orange Guava Cider); First Blood (Wild Cherry Cider); JAOM; Unnamed Holiday Apfelwein.
Bottled: Nothing! D:
Planned: Pliny clone. Brett cider. More 7 Stairs Pale Ale.
SiriusStarr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #1270
HBngNOK
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HBngNOK's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Harrah, OK
Posts: 364
Liked 73 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly224 View Post
Excellent thread! I want to try an all grain batch and there are so many methods out there that require more equipment than I want to get right now. I have basically everything I need to do this method so I think I will give it a go! Thanks!

One question though, if you don't have the turkey frying basket what do you do? Just hang the bag by itself?
Adapt and overcome. Improvise. Endeavor to persevere.

Large colander
Pizza screen
Grill grate
3 or 4 dowels
etc....
__________________
HBngNOK is offline
SDJay Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another first BIAB stunsm BIAB Brewing 12 03-17-2013 09:35 PM
Anyone BIAB? ultravista All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 72 08-31-2012 12:50 AM
1st AG, 1st BIAB results w/ pics mattmcl All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 09-13-2011 01:48 AM
A nice Podcast on BIAB from one of the Pioneers of BIAB gunner65 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 0 02-26-2011 12:24 AM
Brew day - brewing a duvel clone! (pics attached) Steve973 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 01-22-2007 01:29 PM