The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #1201
Mysticmead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobdee View Post
Do either of you stir during the 90 min mash?
I stir at the beginning when I dough in...and I stir at the end when I mash out. in between, I'm normally not even home. there's a lot that I can get done in 90 minutes

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #1202
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts

I like the nap idea. 90 min mash makes for a long brew day and I usually drink beer during it so it can become a pretty drunk brewing day with many mishaps.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:10 AM   #1203
Jps101
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseabovebb View Post
I ended up brewing the vanilla bourbon porter recipeby denny conn. The 17 # grain bill with 8.5 gallons of water maxed out my 11 gallon kettle. I had about a cm of space available during the mash.

The bike stand worked great for draining the mash!

Attachment 39238
That is awesome thinking. I have the same stand and it never occurred to me to use it that way.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #1204
Jps101
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgstiffler View Post
I have a web-based tool in my signature that does all the calculations for you. See if it works for what you need.
Nicely done, just played with that. Will give it a try this weekend.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #1205
BPhad
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobdee
I like the nap idea. 90 min mash makes for a long brew day and I usually drink beer during it so it can become a pretty drunk brewing day with many mishaps.
I'm with you on that. I've cut back to no beer before the boil starts. Seems to make things go a little smoother.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:11 PM   #1206
Rickthescot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default First Time BIAB

Okay so my first biab happened over the weekend. I know that what I am about to write will make many of you shake your heads but I take full responsibility for my irresponsibility. I have about about a dozen extract with mini mash brews under my belt but like many with this strange addiction my significant other told me she wished it didn't smell so bad in the house when I was creating the elixir of my obsession. So off to Wally World I go to find a turkey fryer set up. Meanwhile I have been reading what a bunch of you had to say about biab and thought it was likely the answer to my desire for conversion to all grain. Had the wife make a 2x3 bag of voile and purchased a kit for bourbon porter which might have been an aggressive choice for a start.
When brew day started on Sunday I already had several projects that were distracting me but I got 4 gallons of water to 160 and put the grain in the bag. Stirred it up real good and put 2 towels around the kettle and covered it with a warm jacket of mine. 90 minutes later it the temp had not moved from 152 degrees. Mashed out at 170 for 10 minutes. Then did a dunk sparge in about 1.5 gallons of water and did not do much squeezing. Boil went for 60 minutes, cooled with my redneck wort chiller and I was ready for the fermenter. I did add a about 1.5 gallons to the fermenter to achieve 5 gallons pitched the yeast and locked her down. Bubbled pretty good over night but was quieting down about 15 hours later, looks and smells like beer is happening.
Don’t know my efficiency and at this stage I don’t care. I am sure I made beer and I will drink it with a smile. Yes I know I should have _________ add whatever you like, but I did get a feel for how this works and decided that I would brew a session beer to work on my technique.
Thanks to all of you for your comments and advice, would never have discovered it without you. BIAB rocks.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #1207
Mysticmead
Recipes 

you just made beer from grain! what would I add? nothing. if it works for you then that's all that really matters. Although taking gravity readings will a allow you to know things like efficiency, ABV%, and other things needed to repeat the recipe in the future. They still don't take away from the fact that you just made beer!

Old 12-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #1208
Antler
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead
you just made beer from grain! what would I add? nothing. if it works for you then that's all that really matters. Although taking gravity readings will a allow you to know things like efficiency, ABV%, and other things needed to repeat the recipe in the future. They still don't take away from the fact that you just made beer!
Agreed! I brewed extract for a year before I started taking gravity readings. I always made beer! Your off to a great start! BIAB is awesome!

Old 12-29-2012, 08:39 AM   #1209
trainwreck
Recipes 

Did my first BIAB this past x-mas eve, normally we did extract. I have a 20 gallon and filled my pot with 7.5 gallons pre-boil and after we were done I only ended up with around 3 gallons of beer. I had to add 2 gallons of water which I want to avoid.
so for all of the rest of you out there, that 11 lb grain seems to soak up a lot of water, plus evaporation is rough over the 60 min boil too. Keep in mind, my pot is like 20" wide so I lose more water than some skinnier taller pots.

just thought i'd share... Wont know how it tastes for 3 months as we brewed an oatey stout, so it will be sitting longer.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #1210
Mysticmead
Recipes 

squeeze the grain bag and you'll recover a lot of the water that was absorbed.
use this formula to determine the amount of water needed.
batch size + absorption + boil off +trub loss = water needed.
use this formula to determine absorption

grain weight in lbs * .06 = absorption. you can of course adjust the number depending on how much or how little you squeeze. Remember it's OK to squeeze the bag. You won't extract tannins.

Quick Reply