The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #111
sha0056
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dog_42 View Post
Alton Brown has a pulley setup that may work for those of us who can't or don't want to permanently attach pulleys to ceilings. In season 10, he did an episode called "Fry Turkey Fry" and built a rig off of his aluminum (I think) ladder that would accept a pulley system along with a cleat to lock the grain bag in place above the brew kettle. It seems to work well and is adjustable in position so you can make sure you don't get any swing or motion when lifting it out of the brew pot. I'd trust the set up to hold at least 40 lbs when using a sst bucket like Seven did, if your mounting is secure enough, with some decent sized bolts.

I'm going to try this method out when I do my first BIAB, but I need a fermy chamber built before this so it'll probably be a few months.

Great advice though!
Good Eats... and drinks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #112
Antler
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

I'm new to AG and I'm doing research do attempt a BIAB in a few weeks. Is there any real advantages of using mash tuns, and hot liquer tanks? I mean a BIAB seems like a fairly straight forward system, the more I read about the bigger systems people have the more I can't see why more people aren't into BIAB. What are the advantages to using bigger systems with 3 kettles?

Old 05-10-2011, 06:04 PM   #113
jaginger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

im sort of exploring both methods as well. advantage of 3 vessel seems to me to be no lifting and draining of the bag, which is a bit cumbersome, especially for bigger than 5 gallon batches.

i think clarity is generally not as good in BIAB as you don't have the grain bed filtering. those are small issues IMO, but some slight disadvantages to BIAB.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #114
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaginger View Post
im sort of exploring both methods as well. advantage of 3 vessel seems to me to be no lifting and draining of the bag, which is a bit cumbersome, especially for bigger than 5 gallon batches.

i think clarity is generally not as good in BIAB as you don't have the grain bed filtering. those are small issues IMO, but some slight disadvantages to BIAB.
with a traditional 3 vessel system, unless you have a single tier with pumps, you have to lift water. Also with a traditional 3 vessel system you have to lift the mash tun full of wet grain to dump it unless you stand there scooping it out. Even that is a lot of bending and twisting on the back. granted, once I decide to join the 10 gallon club I'll probably only use BIAB for smaller batches in the 5 gallon range. unless I add a pulley to my brew house then I'd still do BIAB.

yes BIAB has a cloudier wort going to the boil kettle, but the finished product going to the keg or bottle is just as clear. believe me, if a beer is cloudy and entered into a competition, the judges will notice. BIAB produces award winning beers..

now, all of this is not to say that BIAB is right for everyone, it isn't. a 3v setup isn't right for everyone either. the simple fact that with both methods we're taking grain and converting it into beer is all that matters. which ever way YOU prefer to do it is the right way.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:31 PM   #115
Antler
Recipes 

Thanks! I'm gonna be trying some 5 gallon batches and experimenting with some recipes I find here, then if I like it as much as I think I will, I'll be upgrading to 10 gallon batches, bigger burner, etc.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:35 PM   #116
dallasdb
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

subscribed

Old 05-11-2011, 11:47 PM   #117
Skrimpy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Well...I maybe off to the races this weekend. 10 gallons with a pully on the ceiling in the garage. Some bullets:

-The easiest way it seems for an all wheat is BIAB because there is no stuck sparge.

-Apparently, BIAB does clarify on the chill, in the fermenter and maybe in the keg. My thinking is if you rack to a secondary and cold crash it for a day, it should clarify pretty quick.

-PLUS, I'm not entering any contests, so I don't give a crap if it's hazy. As long as it tastes good, I'll take it over anything bought in the store.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:54 PM   #118
Mysticmead
Recipes 

my 100% wheat hefe came out great. Just for the experience I even did a double decoction mash.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:14 AM   #119
Antler
Recipes 

Do any of you all filter your beer before Kegging and force carbing?

Old 05-12-2011, 01:27 AM   #120
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antler View Post
Do any of you all filter your beer before Kegging and force carbing?
nope.. I crash chill it for 3-7 days then rack to the keg. I'll add gelatin if needed.

Quick Reply