New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #1131
somedudefromguam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Waaahhh ! First time BIAB- Bad experience... my grain bag was too thick, it turned into a 150 pound water balloon. That sucked, not discouraged though, just need a different bag. Spent two hours sewing the damn thing too...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 01:47 AM   #1132
BPhad
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudefromguam
Waaahhh ! First time BIAB- Bad experience... my grain bag was too thick, it turned into a 150 pound water balloon. That sucked, not discouraged though, just need a different bag. Spent two hours sewing the damn thing too...
I have to recommend buying a bag from wilserbrewer. Mine was less than 20 shipped to my house. Very well made I could not have come near the quality myself.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:07 AM   #1133
Antler
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

I'd like to share my bag. It's the CustomBIAB pillow case style bag. Very nice handles, has draw string, and they can stitch the name of your brewery (i just have CustomBIAB on mine) to the handles on the bag! I think mine was $27 shipped, from Ireland.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #1134
wobdee
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

That's a nice looking bag Antler. I need to find something like that over on this side of the pond. How long do these bags last and are they a PITA to clean?

Old 12-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #1135
SiriusStarr

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobdee View Post
are they a PITA to clean?
FWIW, I run my (homemade) bag through the wash after every batch. It's permanently stained grain colored, but it comes clean other than that (and the color doesn't seem to leech out into anything I'm making or impart any flavors).
Bottled: Nothing! D:
Planned: Maudite Dubbel-ish Belgian Thing; Dessert Stout; Dunkelweizen. Nom nom.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #1136
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Quote:
That's a nice looking bag Antler. I need to find something like that over on this side of the pond. How long do these bags last and are they a PITA to clean?
they ship to the USA and the bags are top notch. They are however not taking orders right now as Mareth (lady who sews the bags) is out on maternity leave.

I have used my bag from them on about 10 batches so far and it looks like new. they're easy to clean. hose it off right after emptying and wash them either in machine or by hand. then hang to dry. simple

Old 12-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #1137
Antler
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusStarr

FWIW, I run my (homemade) bag through the wash after every batch. It's permanently stained grain colored, but it comes clean other than that (and the color doesn't seem to leech out into anything I'm making or impart any flavors).
+1 I just turn it inside out hose it off and toss it in with the laundry. Mine hasn't changed color though it's still white as ever. Don't let shipping hinder you. It was $27 shipping included for me, which I think is an awesome deal.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:19 AM   #1138
wilserbrewer
Vendor
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 331 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I just simply hose off my BIAB bags and hang dry...with use they become a nice shade of amber. While my bags can easily hold 30-40 pounds of grain, not sure how they would fare twisted around the auger of the washing machine, but YMMV. Maybe it's just me, never had a desire to "wash" a bag, kinda like a mash tun, rinse it well, keep it reasonably clean and move on...a mash in itself is naturally a microbial party, no need IMHO to scrub the bag, that's what the boil is for! Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPhad View Post
I have to recommend buying a bag from wilserbrewer. Mine was less than 20 shipped to my house. Very well made I could not have come near the quality myself.
Thanks for the compliment...glad you are happy with the bag. I will also throw out a compliment to Mareth for her fine looking bags, and wish her all the best with the coming baby brewer.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 12-03-2012, 01:53 AM   #1139
SiriusStarr

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
twisted around the auger of the washing machine
I should clarify that I have a front-load washer. I would not put a bag through a top-load, for the same fear.
Bottled: Nothing! D:
Planned: Maudite Dubbel-ish Belgian Thing; Dessert Stout; Dunkelweizen. Nom nom.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #1140
wobdee
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Ok, another question. I use to recirculate in my old 3 tier system just before sparging til the wort ran clear and it also helped the grain bed settle. I saw some people have installed pumps for their BIAB to recirculate, is this more to maintain mash temps or deos it have to do with clearing the wort?

What about just using a fine screen coffee filter before going into the primary fermenter?
bump

Quick Reply