Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #1121
somedudefromguam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I am planning on mashing in with 5 gallons, then sparge with 4-5 gallons of 170 hot liquor. When I say sparge, I mean pour the hot liquor quickly over the mash and collect the remaining sugars. I actually will top the kettle to 12 gallons total, so can I continue to sparge? Is this over sparging? I definitely use more hot liquor when I use a mash tun and don't consider it over sparging...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #1122
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudefromguam View Post
I am just switching to BIAB. Do I have to worry about over sparging? astringency?
if doing a full volume BIAB there is no sparging. if not doing full volume, you'd only be sparging (dunking into a smaller pot or pouring directly over grains) with a small amount of water. Not nearly enough to over sparge. no worries about tannins either from squeezing the bag, that's yet another myth busted by BIAB

Old 11-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #1123
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
I am planning on mashing in with 5 gallons, then sparge with 4-5 gallons of 170 hot liquor. When I say sparge, I mean pour the hot liquor quickly over the mash and collect the remaining sugars. I actually will top the kettle to 12 gallons total, so can I continue to sparge? Is this over sparging? I definitely use more hot liquor when I use a mash tun and don't consider it over sparging...
I take it you have a 10 gallon brew planned. 5 gallons does not sound like a large enough grist ratio (qts liquor water/lb of grain). Unless this is a low gravity bitter or something. I would just mash at a higher grist ratio and either skip the sparge, or do a dunk/drip type sparge.
Primary #1: Empty #2: Black Currant Wine
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale
Bottles
: Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown, 2H IPA III

Old 11-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #1124
marshallwms
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcdawg View Post
That makes sense. So, I should be squeezing specialty grains as well (for extract brewing)?
A caution here. Most extract and partial mash kits have explicit instructions to NOT squeeze the grains. They have calculated the efficiencies and resulting flavor profiles assuming you do not squeeze. If you DO squeeze, you will get "higher", stronger adjunct grain effects / flavoring above what the recipe is designed for. This will effect the flavor profile of the beer.

While I used to squeeze the specialty grains, I stopped after getting some flavor profiles I didn't like that much. But for all grain BIAB, I drip sparge and squeeze a lot because all the grain is involved and there will be no flavor profile changes. It also raises my efficiency. I also mashout at 170F, and ask my LHBS to double crush even though he says it will not make a difference.

Enjoy BIAB. It is a great way to get started with all grain. I have done a few 5 gallon batches in a keggle, and just did a 2.5 gallon batch in the keggle (overkill but I don't have a 7 - 10 gallon pot) and the small batch was SO easy!

Old 11-30-2012, 09:57 PM   #1125
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 444 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Unless you can do an efficient sparge or "rinse" of the grain, I would mash with as much strike water as your pot will allow...running hot liquor over the grains should merely be for topping up the kettle slightly...if you have a small kettle than perhaps dunk the bag in another vessel....even a cold sparge will help if thats all you can do...topping with water is a last resort IMO>

Old 12-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #1126
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 30 Posts

New Member long time brewer here. This BIAB is very interesting, I read most of this thread but still have some questions.

I do 2.5 gl batches of extract, use to brew 5gl AG but like the idea of smaller more frequent brewing so I switched. If I go BIAB with a 2.5gl system how long should I mash for? Seems most do 60-90 minutes for 5gl batch, would cutting the time in half make sense with smaller batches? I'd like to keep the overall brew day shorter if possible. Thanks

Old 12-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #1127
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 29

You will keep the same mash time. I know some say the mash is done for them in 45 minutes, personally the little extra time is ok for me since I do other things while mashing.

Primary: Chesterfield wild(1 gal), Schepen
Bottled: SMASH, Chesterfield Wild, Summer In Sommelsdijk, Dog Days Saison
Up coming beers:

Old 12-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #1128
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I use to do an iodine test and it usually converted in 20-30 minutes but I would let it go for awhile longer anyway. Does this test work for a BIAB?

Old 12-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #1129
SiriusStarr
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobdee View Post
I use to do an iodine test and it usually converted in 20-30 minutes but I would let it go for awhile longer anyway. Does this test work for a BIAB?
No reason it shouldn't; you're just measuring starch content, and the enzymatic reactions don't occur any differently in BIAB.
Bottled: Nothing! D:
Planned: Pliny clone. Brett cider. More 7 Stairs Pale Ale.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #1130
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Ok, another question. I use to recirculate in my old 3 tier system just before sparging til the wort ran clear and it also helped the grain bed settle. I saw some people have installed pumps for their BIAB to recirculate, is this more to maintain mash temps or deos it have to do with clearing the wort?

What about just using a fine screen coffee filter before going into the primary fermenter?

Quick Reply