Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #1111
Mysticmead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcdawg View Post
My question is for those that use a 7.5 gal kettle, what is your method to get the necessary pre-boil volume? Say the recipe is 12 lbs of grain and you lose 1 gal to grain absorption. With a 7.5 gal kettle I can only mash with ~5 gal of water - which will leave me ~2 gal short. Which method do you use?

A. Mash-out at 170F. Top off to pre-boil volume
B. Skip Mash-Out. Sparge with volume of water to reach pre-boil volume
C. Mash-out and Sparge
D. Other?
first.. you'd lose .72 gallons.. less if you squeeze the crap out of that bag..
second.. sparge with 170F water.. either by pouring through grains and then squeezing.. or dunk sparging... followed by squeezing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #1112
slcdawg
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead View Post
first.. you'd lose .72 gallons.. less if you squeeze the crap out of that bag..
second.. sparge with 170F water.. either by pouring through grains and then squeezing.. or dunk sparging... followed by squeezing

Thanks. So, do you mash-out and sparge? Or, just sparge?

Old 11-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #1113
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
My question is for those that use a 7.5 gal kettle, what is your method to get the necessary pre-boil volume? Say the recipe is 12 lbs of grain and you lose 1 gal to grain absorption. With a 7.5 gal kettle I can only mash with ~5 gal of water - which will leave me ~2 gal short. Which method do you use?

A. Mash-out at 170F. Top off to pre-boil volume
B. Skip Mash-Out. Sparge with volume of water to reach pre-boil volume
C. Mash-out and Sparge
D. Other?
Currently I do C. I have 2 kettles (7.5 gal. and 5 gal.) I mash and mashout in the large kettle and sparge in the small kettle. I then squeeze the bag in a bucket with a colander and combine all of the liquid to get my desired pre-boil volume.

Also, I can start with about 6 gal. of water for a grain bill between 12-14 lbs. in my 7.5 gal. kettle. Makes for a tight fit, but it's doable.

One question I have been wondering though regarding my method is, if I'm doing a sparge, do I need to do a mashout as well? I've been thinking doing both a mashout and then a sparge seems a little redundant and I could probably just skip the mashout and go straight from the mash to the sparge?
Old 11-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #1114
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Thanks. So, do you mash-out and sparge? Or, just sparge?
I mash out and use a keggle

Old 11-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #1115
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Do you do a mash-out at 170F for 10 minutes as part of your process? And then just top off with water to get the right pre-boil volume?
I do a mashout to 170, and then pseudo drip sparge from a second small kettle (holds maybe 1.7 gal). This option C on your last post of pg 111. If I'm still low on volume I will usually just top up to my pre-boil volume ( less than a 1/2 gallon). I don't hold at mashout temps, but it does take 10-15 minutes to get there from my propane burner.

And I squeeze the heck out of the bag after sparge (in basket) using a saucepan lid. No tannins.
Primary #1: Cascadian Dark Ale #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Empty
Kegged
: Irish Red
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, Peach Rhubarb Wne
On Deck: Spruced Winter Warmer
slcdawg Likes This 
Old 11-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #1116
slcdawg
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post
I don't hold at mashout temps, but it does take 10-15 minutes to get there from my propane burner.
Very helpful - thank you! For the Mash-out, do you turn your burner on to get to 170F and then you're done with that step (since it takes 10-15 min to get there)? Or, 10 minutes once at 170F?

Sorry for all the questions - think I'm just about there.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #1117
solbes
Recipes 

After the mash is done, I turn the burner on and leave it on until post boil flame out. I raise the grain in the basket from the rope/pulley once the mash gets to 170F. Then I start my drip sparge after the grain is suspended. I also add any first wort hops at this time. The sparging takes place while my wort in the kettle is heating towards the boil. Usually sparge is complete with grain bag squeezed by the time the wort is up to 200 F or so. Only another 5-10 minutes until boiling.

Theres alot of efficiencies with BIAB (less equipment costs and less cleaning required). But my favorite is the time savings of the sparging. There is no time used at all for me as the wort has to come to a boil anyway. And it can still get you within 10% efficiency of some of the best fly sparge setups I've seen.

Secondary #1
Kegged
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, Peach Rhubarb Wne
slcdawg Likes This 
Old 11-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #1118
slcdawg
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Very cool! It does seem simple. Doing my first mini mash this wkd. Hope to try AG BIAB soon.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #1119
somedudefromguam
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I am just switching to BIAB. Do I have to worry about over sparging? astringency?

Old 11-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #1120
solbes
Recipes 

Partial mashes are awesome for the first couple of BIAB's. Yes your still doing all the work of a AG, but its a little more forgiving of mistakes since a significant portion of the malt is extract. I did 4 of them, but would have been ready after 2.

Some new things with going all grain that may affect astringency. Like your water. I would say if your water has the correct alkalinity and mineral content to mash with your specific grain bill, that won't be a problem. I have very alkaline water that buffers, so I cut it with 50-85% Reverse Osmosis water from the grocery store (more RO for light beers, less for dark). I use small additions of 88% Lactic Acid to drop my mash (and sparge) to the proper pH (usually less than 2 mL). You can download the free MS Excell Water Calculator 3 from this site, add your water profile from city website, and add your grain malt recipe to get in the ballpark.

And you don't want to over heat your mashout or your sparge water. If I mash out to 170F, I bring my sparge up to maybe 174 or so. By the time I drip it all the way through its considerably cooler. Not a worry on cooler, it just may not extract sugar as easily. I don't think you can oversparge, but someone might have a better answer for that. Good luck to both of you!

Secondary #1
Kegged
Bottles

Quick Reply