Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #1101
Mysticmead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcdawg View Post
And a 2nd question. When steeping, Palmer and others say not to squeeze the bag to prevent extracting tannins. But, many posts on this thread suggest doing just that. Is Palmer just out of date? Do you not have to worry about it as long as the temp is low?

Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eulipion2 View Post
Think of it this way: the grain bed of a massive commercial brew (BMC) is going to put more pressure on the grains than you will ever achieve. BMC beers are not known for their astringency or tannins. As long as your pH and temp are reasonable, you really don't need to worry. I've been doing BIAB for the last four years, squeezing the bejeezus out of the grain, and have never had tannins.

^^^^^ that right there...

Tannins are not extracted by pressure, they're not extracted by temp.. it takes PH. since BIAB typically does no sparge, the PH won't get out of hand. Even a pseudo sparge or a dunk sparge isn't enough to get the PH out of control and extract tannins. In a traditional 3V setup, you sparge until you hit 1.010 generally. After that PH becomes an issue and you extract tannins.

Temp isn't an issue, otherwise decoction mashing would result in beers that are all tannins no other flavors.

pressure, as mention above isn't an issue either.

BIAB takes a lot of what was previously thought to be hard facts about brewing and tosses it out the window. Embrace the change, squeeze the bag...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #1102
slcdawg
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 20

That makes sense. So, I should be squeezing specialty grains as well (for extract brewing)?

Old 11-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #1103
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcdawg View Post
That makes sense. So, I should be squeezing specialty grains as well (for extract brewing)?
it wont hurt...

Old 11-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #1104
slcdawg
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Do you do a mash-out at 170F for 10 minutes as part of your process? And then just top off with water to get the right pre-boil volume?

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post
I have a 7.5 gallon pot and have gotten the following effieciencies for recent batches:

Oktoberfest, 11 lbs grain, 77% Efficiency
Brown Ale, 8.5 lbs grain, 80%
Scotch Ale, 13 lbs grain, 76% (not including 1 lb of DME)
2 Hearted IPA, 12 lbs grain, 77%

I can exceed 80% generally when I mash 9 lbs and below. Have gotten as high as 86% on a Kolsch. But I am generally 75-82%. I do a pseudo drip sparge by suspending grain from rope/pulley in fryer basket above brew kettle. If you have a second vessel, you can get another 3-5% by dunk sparging for 10 minutes, but I generally don't bother any more.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #1105
BroStefan
Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcdawg
Do you do a mash-out at 170F for 10 minutes as part of your process? And then just top off with water to get the right pre-boil volume?
Just jumping in...

I usually kick the temp up to 170f and hold for 10 min.

In my standard process I plan to add <2 liters to the kettle to get to the preboil volume. I'd rather top up then boil off. It's a matter of time.

Primary -
Long Winter's Nap Barleywine

Conditioning -
6 Jolly Fellows Porter
Cream of Three Crops Cream Ale
Flanders Red
Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere clone - sort of
Cyser

Tap 1 - Tripel
Tap 2 - American Wheat
Tap 3 - House Mild
Tap 4 - Black IPA - from Lucid Brewery wort
Bottles - Long Winters Nap Barley Wine - 2012 & 2013, & some odds and ends

In the bullpen:
Helles
Weizendopplebock

Old 11-29-2012, 12:59 AM   #1106
Antler
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scook13339

Just jumping in...

I usually kick the temp up to 170f and hold for 10 min.

In my standard process I plan to add <2 liters to the kettle to get to the preboil volume. I'd rather top up then boil off. It's a matter of time.
I've read that this is the wrong idea for mashout. I think you supposed to bring this from mash temps to 170f over 10 minutes, not hold it at 170 for 10 minutes.

I may be wrong but that's what I read and that's how I do it!

Old 11-29-2012, 03:29 AM   #1107
BroStefan
Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antler

I've read that this is the wrong idea for mashout. I think you supposed to bring this from mash temps to 170f over 10 minutes, not hold it at 170 for 10 minutes.

I may be wrong but that's what I read and that's how I do it!
It probably takes 10 min to bring the temp up to 170f although I don't watch it closely. The hold for 10 is to let everyone stabilize.

Truth is, it probably doesn't make a lot of difference. Mashout is a highly optional step. After I read your reply a checked in Palmer's How to Brew and he says really doesn't make a difference for loose mash 1.5 qt to lb or more. BIAB mashes are much looser then that.

I do a mashout more as a holdover from how I do a mash in a cooler. Maybe I'll cut it out and see what happens.

Primary -
Long Winter's Nap Barleywine

Conditioning -
6 Jolly Fellows Porter
Cream of Three Crops Cream Ale
Flanders Red
Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere clone - sort of
Cyser

Tap 1 - Tripel
Tap 2 - American Wheat
Tap 3 - House Mild
Tap 4 - Black IPA - from Lucid Brewery wort
Bottles - Long Winters Nap Barley Wine - 2012 & 2013, & some odds and ends

In the bullpen:
Helles
Weizendopplebock

Old 11-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #1108
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scook13339 View Post
Truth is, it probably doesn't make a lot of difference. Mashout is a highly optional step. After I read your reply a checked in Palmer's How to Brew and he says really doesn't make a difference for loose mash 1.5 qt to lb or more. BIAB mashes are much looser then that.
I've found that beers I don't mash-out have worse efficiency for me. Not terribly much, but usually the difference between 70% and 75%. It's been a long time since I last used a cooler, so I honestly don't remember if I mashed out, but with BIAB, I ALWAYS mash-out.

On-Deck: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale; Bacon488's Mild

Primary: Quad

Kegged: Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Apple cider;

Bottled: Saison Americain; Tripel; Session Saison; Grodziskie; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Old 11-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #1109
thughes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 14

As I posted several pages ago, we have an on-going experiment happening on an Aussie forum wherein we are keeping track of gravity at end of mash and then gravity at end of mashout,,,,so far it appears that there is a 2-6 point gravity increase to be gained by mashingout. Perhaps those that are debating this subject here should instead try their own experiment?

nurture my pig

Old 11-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #1110
slcdawg
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

My question is for those that use a 7.5 gal kettle, what is your method to get the necessary pre-boil volume? Say the recipe is 12 lbs of grain and you lose 1 gal to grain absorption. With a 7.5 gal kettle I can only mash with ~5 gal of water - which will leave me ~2 gal short. Which method do you use?

A. Mash-out at 170F. Top off to pre-boil volume
B. Skip Mash-Out. Sparge with volume of water to reach pre-boil volume
C. Mash-out and Sparge
D. Other?

Quick Reply