Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #1091
MMJfan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by scook13339 View Post
I've.done several BIAB batches and never gone more than 60 minutes and sometimes less. No problem. Not sure what's up with the Aussie 3 hour mash.
Me too. Just finished my 4th BIAB last night and have yet to mash for more than 60 minutes and my results so far make me question why I would want to add two hours to my brew day?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #1092
nbrack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I have a 7.5 gallon pot. Could I do 4 gallon batches using this method? The reason I ask is I have two 5-gallon glass carboys that I would like to use as primary fermenters.

Please forgive me if this was already asked and answered in the thread. I didn't have time to read through the whole thing!

Old 11-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #1093
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrack View Post
I have a 7.5 gallon pot. Could I do 4 gallon batches using this method? The reason I ask is I have two 5-gallon glass carboys that I would like to use as primary fermenters.

Please forgive me if this was already asked and answered in the thread. I didn't have time to read through the whole thing!
yes...you can do 4 gallon batches in a 7.5 gallon pot.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #1094
slcdawg
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 20

If I wanted to do a 5 gal batch in a 7.5gal pot, can I just put the grain bag into a colander and sparge with water at 170F to the pre-boil volume (~6gal)? If this is the case, the limitation would be how much grain you can mash (per http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml).

Sorry if this has been covered, read through about 20 pages of this thread but may have missed it. I'm doing my first partial mash this weekend - this doesn't look that different...just bigger.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #1095
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 396 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcdawg View Post
If I wanted to do a 5 gal batch in a 7.5gal pot, can I just put the grain bag into a colander and sparge with water at 170F to the pre-boil volume (~6gal)? If this is the case, the limitation would be how much grain you can mash (per http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml).

Yes is the short answer, however w/ bigger grain bills, the more you colander "sparge" , your efficiency may suffer due to technique....but your on the right track cheers

FWIW, I would max out the kettle and keep the pseudo soarge to a minimum.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 11-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #1096
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I have a 9 gallon pot and have done 15.5 lbs with less water. When I do this, I take a colander and remove about half the grains into a Lowes paint bucket with a separate, smaller brewing bag. I then add whatever amount of water I need to get me to my pre-boil level and sparge. I'm regularly in teh upper 70's in efficiency and have always met or exceeded my OG.

When I grow up I'll get a 15 gallon kettle.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #1097
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I have a 7.5 gallon pot and have gotten the following effieciencies for recent batches:

Oktoberfest, 11 lbs grain, 77% Efficiency
Brown Ale, 8.5 lbs grain, 80%
Scotch Ale, 13 lbs grain, 76% (not including 1 lb of DME)
2 Hearted IPA, 12 lbs grain, 77%

I can exceed 80% generally when I mash 9 lbs and below. Have gotten as high as 86% on a Kolsch. But I am generally 75-82%. I do a pseudo drip sparge by suspending grain from rope/pulley in fryer basket above brew kettle. If you have a second vessel, you can get another 3-5% by dunk sparging for 10 minutes, but I generally don't bother any more.

Primary #1: Cascadian Dark Ale #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Empty
Kegged
: Irish Red
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, Peach Rhubarb Wne
On Deck: Spruced Winter Warmer

Old 11-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #1098
slcdawg
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Cool. Good to know! My secondary kettle is on the small side (9qts I think) - so prob too small to sparge in. Would it be better to mash-out at 170F, and then top off with water? Or, to use a colander and sparge by pouring water over the grains to boil volume? Or, do both techniques?

And a 2nd question. When steeping, Palmer and others say not to squeeze the bag to prevent extracting tannins. But, many posts on this thread suggest doing just that. Is Palmer just out of date? Do you not have to worry about it as long as the temp is low?

Cheers!

Old 11-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #1099
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcdawg View Post
And a 2nd question. When steeping, Palmer and others say not to squeeze the bag to prevent extracting tannins. But, many posts on this thread suggest doing just that. Is Palmer just out of date? Do you not have to worry about it as long as the temp is low?
:
Think of it this way: the grain bed of a massive commercial brew (BMC) is going to put more pressure on the grains than you will ever achieve. BMC beers are not known for their astringency or tannins. As long as your pH and temp are reasonable, you really don't need to worry. I've been doing BIAB for the last four years, squeezing the bejeezus out of the grain, and have never had tannins.

On-Deck: Quad; Oktoberfest; Mild

Primary: Mosaic pilsner; Saison Americaine; Tripel

Kegged: Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Apple cider; Adventures in Homebrewing's Black Prinz Stout

Bottled: Session Saison; Grodziskie; "Clean Out the Freezer" IPA; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Old 11-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #1100
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Totally random note:

I do 3 gallon stovetop batches and I love BIAB. It's easy, less cleaning, less moving, less storing. This is great!

That is all

I hate Walder Frey...

Quick Reply