Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2011, 11:18 PM   #101
Mysticmead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrimpy View Post
Short of reading the whole thread (Yeah, I'm lazy...or busy, I have a set of 3 year old twins a six year old with mommy at dance and have to make dinner), I have heard that squeezing grain bags can extract tannins making the beer taste bad. Many BIAB brewers are squeezing the bags. Is there any evidence that squeezing the bag releases tannins or not? Are there any peer reviewed studies? If not, this would be a great one to publish...if we can find the appropriate journal? Maybe a microbiology, biology or chemistry journal?
squeezing is fine. mainly its high temps that release the tannins that or over sparging. Since you normally don't sparge with BIAB (yes I know some do dunk sparging but that's not the same) and you aren't heating to high temps tannins release isn't a problem.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 01:31 AM   #102
Skrimpy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead View Post
squeezing is fine. mainly its high temps that release the tannins that or over sparging. Since you normally don't sparge with BIAB (yes I know some do dunk sparging but that's not the same) and you aren't heating to high temps tannins release isn't a problem.
So this begs more questions.

If some are getting as good an efficiency as some that fly sparge pretty well, why would you sparge at all with BIAB?

Also, with the exception of using the grain bed as a filter I don't see how wringing out the grains in the bag is any different than letting them drain from the kettle with gravity and in the same manner sparging. It's actually probably more efficient. If you put clean water in at 170 for sparging, mix the stuff around, pull the bag out and then squeeze it, it's pretty much the same thing as sparging. Again though the difference being you aren't using the grain bed as a filter.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:43 AM   #103
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Some people don't have a pot large enough to do the full volume so they do a dunk sparge in another pot with clean 170 degree water. Me personally I let drain for 20 minutes then squeeze. Works for me

Old 05-01-2011, 09:37 PM   #104
Antler
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Forgive me if is is a stupid question, but all your grains go in during the mash, and all your hops are added during the boil at a certain time is this accurate? I'm researching BIAB brewing, but I want to do everything in one pot all at once, the way you have. Thanks for this thread and pics!

Old 05-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #105
Mysticmead
Recipes 

yep.. all the grains go in the bag for the mash. then hops are added during the boil at certain intervals depending on the type of hops and the amount of bitterness you want.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #106
dantheman13
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antler View Post
Forgive me if is is a stupid question, but all your grains go in during the mash, and all your hops are added during the boil at a certain time is this accurate? I'm researching BIAB brewing, but I want to do everything in one pot all at once, the way you have. Thanks for this thread and pics!
Yes, all of your grains go into the bag, and the boil is the same as any other style of brewing. As others have stated, most BIAB methods don't involve a sparge, so you can do one mash in your single kettle, pull out your bag and squeeze/drain, and then bring it to a boil. Check my sig for the Aussie BIAB forums; lots of infos there as well.

I owe MrK305 a beer!

My YouTube Channel

Old 05-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #107
Antler
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead
yep.. all the grains go in the bag for the mash. then hops are added during the boil at certain intervals depending on the type of hops and the amount of bitterness you want.
Thanks for the fast reply! My lovely better half has Just given me a turkey deep-fry kit, so I'm looking into trying a BIAB soon. Where does everyone buy their ingredients? My local brewery store doesn't carry a lot of hops and grains.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #108
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antler View Post
Thanks for the fast reply! My lovely better half has Just given me a turkey deep-fry kit, so I'm looking into trying a BIAB soon. Where does everyone buy their ingredients? My local brewery store doesn't carry a lot of hops and grains.
Brewmasters Warehouse is a great place to buy. they have a great crush on the grains as well.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:05 AM   #109
Beer_Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Here is a Home Brew supplier in Canada.

http://ihomebrewing.ca/

In St Johns there is Brewer Lane. They list grains on their site.

http://www.brewerylane.com/index.html

[Google Maps search location is handy.]

“Anyone can drink beer, but it takes intelligence to enjoy beer.” — Stephen Beaumont

No more recipies for me. My beer MUST be mine.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:38 AM   #110
Antler
Recipes 

Thanks beer_guy!

Quick Reply