Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 01:57 AM   #1011
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 391 Times on 335 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
For a standard ABV beer what is the amount of water needed total? 4.5 gallons or so?
Sounds about right...just spitballing here, but you could mash in a touch low on volume, and max out the kettle w/ a hot water addition after the mash to give you plenty runnings for a 3 gallon batch....w/ 4.5 gallons initial water you will be close to overflowing the pot...I suggest mashing in a little low on water and adding hot water after the mash...stir and stir then pull the bag.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 02:14 AM   #1012
JimTheHick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusStarr
World's largest pair of underwear, or new brew bag? You decide!

Can't wait to try it out this weekend; sorry, it came out so well I had to share.
That'll lots o' ****e!!!!

Old 10-19-2012, 03:39 AM   #1013
Antler
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer

Sounds about right...just spitballing here, but you could mash in a touch low on volume, and max out the kettle w/ a hot water addition after the mash to give you plenty runnings for a 3 gallon batch....w/ 4.5 gallons initial water you will be close to overflowing the pot...I suggest mashing in a little low on water and adding hot water after the mash...stir and stir then pull the bag.
I agree. This is what I did for my first batch (5.5 gallons batch in 32 quart kettle).

I mashed with about 4 gallons IIRC, and after mashout I topped up to 6.5 gallons.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #1014
wormraper
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

ok guys, I'm thinking of going BIAB from all extract for my next brew (queue drums and fanfare)... was going to try the all grain Chinook IPA kit from Northern brewer pre-crushed grains etc... now I only have a 7.5 gallon pot that came with my Bayou burner... do I have enough volume in that pot do do BIAB or should I hold off till I have a bigger pot??? (volume is 10 lbs of 2-row and one pound of carapills)

Old 10-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #1015
C-Rider
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
ok guys, I'm thinking of going BIAB from all extract for my next brew (queue drums and fanfare)... was going to try the all grain Chinook IPA kit from Northern brewer pre-crushed grains etc... now I only have a 7.5 gallon pot that came with my Bayou burner... do I have enough volume in that pot do do BIAB or should I hold off till I have a bigger pot??? (volume is 10 lbs of 2-row and one pound of carapills)
Never did that big a batch, but I've mashed 7 lbs of 2Row in a 5 gallon cooler so I think you'll have no problem. I'm sure someone brighter than me will kick in soon.

Oh, that was NOT for a 5 gallon brew. I think I did 3 gallons.

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Fermenting: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Conditioning Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: NorthernBrownAle (GF)
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: KonaCoffeeDryStout
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

Old 10-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #1016
SiriusStarr

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
You won't have enough volume if you're trying to mash with the entire volume. I have an 8 gallon pot and yesterday I mashed 9 pounds of grain at 6 L / kg (2.88 qt / lb) for a mash volume of ~6.5 gallons and my pot was full. Really full, like less than a half-inch down from the rim, so there's no way you're going to fit 6.5 gallons of water and 10 lbs of grain in a 7.5 gallon pot.

However, there's no reason why you couldn't mash with 5.5 gallons or whatever will comfortably fit in your pot and then top off with the extra volume before the boil. For instance, according to Brewtarget (which was pretty accurate for me with this last mash), a ~5.9 gallon mash will give you a total mash volume of 7.1 gallons (which should fit comfortably in your pot and will yield about 5 gallons of wort, in which case you can top off with a gallon of water (or whatever you need for your boil off rate) and be fine. That would be mashing at 4.9 L/kg (~2.3 qt/lb).
Bottled: Nothing! D:
Planned: Pliny clone. Brett cider. More 7 Stairs Pale Ale.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #1017
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Sure, I just brewed a Scotch ale with 13.5 lbs of grain in a 7.5 gallon pot for 5.75 finished gallons (FG 1.073 with 1 lb of DME added). I suspend the grain/bag after mash and 170F mashout by a fryer basket and rope/pulley. Then drip 1-2.5 gallons of sparge water through there.

I certainly would not recommend this large of a mash right away, but 11 lbs is doable. Generally I get better efficiencies with the standard 7.5-9 lb mash (mid 80 %). With the 11-13.5 lbs I get ~ mid 70%'s.

Primary #1: Cascadian Dark Ale #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Empty
Kegged
: Irish Red
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, Peach Rhubarb Wne
On Deck: Spruced Winter Warmer

Old 10-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #1018
EdgeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes
Sure, I just brewed a Scotch ale with 13.5 lbs of grain in a 7.5 gallon pot for 5.75 finished gallons (FG 1.073 with 1 lb of DME added). I suspend the grain/bag after mash and 170F mashout by a fryer basket and rope/pulley. Then drip 1-2.5 gallons of sparge water through there.

I certainly would not recommend this large of a mash right away, but 11 lbs is doable. Generally I get better efficiencies with the standard 7.5-9 lb mash (mid 80 %). With the 11-13.5 lbs I get ~ mid 70%'s.
Do you mill your grains finer than standard all grain?

Old 10-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #1019
SiriusStarr

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post

I am very curious how you can fit that kind of volume. As I said, my larger pot was full with a smaller volume of grain, and that was crushed very finely. What is your secret.
Bottled: Nothing! D:
Planned: Pliny clone. Brett cider. More 7 Stairs Pale Ale.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #1020
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Yeah my grain is probably a little finer than std. Not terribly so though. I double bag my grain. A coarse paint strainer bag inside a fine voile bag, which does reduce the trub by 1/2 gallon or so.

As to higher grain amounts, I just mash at a lower grist ratio. That one was mashed at around 1.4 qt/lb. It does lower the efficiency some I guess.

Theres no getting around the fact that larger kettles make BIAB easier. I have my eye on a nice 15 gallon stainless, but haven't gotten the fundage approved by the boss yet

Primary #1: Cascadian Dark Ale #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Empty
Kegged
: Irish Red
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, Peach Rhubarb Wne
On Deck: Spruced Winter Warmer

Quick Reply