Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #91
Mysticmead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Has anybody had any problems with tannins from squeezing the bag? It always seemed like a no-no from what I have read, but everybody here seems to do it.
nope..not a single problem... I believe its one of those myths about brewing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2011, 01:39 AM   #92
mrmadworx
Recipes 

Ok so quick question, I'm a newb brewer and looking to go all grain. If you have a good blichmann kettle why are you using a bag? Why not just get the false bottom designed for the pot and skip buying the basket, bag and pulley system? Seems more complicated.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:41 AM   #93
jaginger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Short answer is because you only need 1 kettle to BIAB.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:42 AM   #94
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmadworx View Post
Ok so quick question, I'm a newb brewer and looking to go all grain. If you have a good blichmann kettle why are you using a bag? Why not just get the false bottom designed for the pot and skip buying the basket, bag and pulley system? Seems more complicated.
if he skipped the bag... how would he remove the grains? remember, with BIAB you mash and boil in the same kettle.. while it is probably over kill to have a blichmann kettle, if you really think about it, does anyone really need a blichmann? its all about the bling factor...if you want it and can afford it.. then go for it

Old 04-26-2011, 01:50 AM   #95
Squirrels
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you are interested in raising the basket (build legs) I found a great way to do this. All I needed was 4 5/16" carriage bolts, any length you wish, 4 acorn nuts, 4 hex nuts and 4 washers. Put on the hex nut and washer onto the carriage bolt. Feed the bolt through one of the holes and cap on the inside of the pot with the acorn washer. Do this for the 4 legs. It works great for me. I have my basket elevated about an inch off of the bottom. I think I will have to use the ladder pulley trick. This is a great write up of a great way to brew beer! I hate to clean more than I have to.

I'm a bit Nuts.

Mad Cow Brewery

Old 04-26-2011, 02:10 AM   #96
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrels View Post
If you are interested in raising the basket (build legs) I found a great way to do this. All I needed was 4 5/16" carriage bolts, any length you wish, 4 acorn nuts, 4 hex nuts and 4 washers. Put on the hex nut and washer onto the carriage bolt. Feed the bolt through one of the holes and cap on the inside of the pot with the acorn washer. Do this for the 4 legs. It works great for me. I have my basket elevated about an inch off of the bottom. I think I will have to use the ladder pulley trick. This is a great write up of a great way to brew beer! I hate to clean more than I have to.
make sure all that hardware is stainless..

Old 04-26-2011, 03:01 AM   #97
edecambra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 16

This was a sweet write up. I have done about 7 BIAB batches now and I have a question for all the fellow BIAB'ers: How do you deal with the excess trub in the kettle?

So far I have been whirlpooling and racking off, but I just realized that I don't wait near long enough (5-10 minutes as opposed to the 20-30 I have just read it takes) When I am racking though it seems like there is a crap ton of trub, and I use irish moss and my hops have been in mesh bags that I remove before whirlpooling.

Anyway I have been looking at getting a valve and some kind of screen/false bottom/hop and break blocker. I think on my next brew I will just wait longer for the whirlpool, but 30 minutes here and there adds up to a long ass brew day!

What do you all do to manage this, and if anyone has a screen how well does it filter out the break material?

Old 04-26-2011, 03:41 AM   #98
Squirrels
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead View Post
make sure all that hardware is stainless..
Oh it is all stainless! I also disassemble it, wash and dry it after every brew. No other way to brew.

Edecambra, you may want to search for a hop taco or hop stopper. Both of those look like they work well. You can see the hop stopper at the electric brewery web site.

I'm a bit Nuts.

Mad Cow Brewery

Old 04-26-2011, 12:27 PM   #99
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by edecambra View Post
I have a question for all the fellow BIAB'ers: How do you deal with the excess trub in the kettle?
whirlpool, wait 30 minutes and rack off the trub. if a little makes it to the carboy oh well, it isn't going to hurt anything

Old 04-27-2011, 08:30 PM   #100
Skrimpy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Short of reading the whole thread (Yeah, I'm lazy...or busy, I have a set of 3 year old twins a six year old with mommy at dance and have to make dinner), I have heard that squeezing grain bags can extract tannins making the beer taste bad. Many BIAB brewers are squeezing the bags. Is there any evidence that squeezing the bag releases tannins or not? Are there any peer reviewed studies? If not, this would be a great one to publish...if we can find the appropriate journal? Maybe a microbiology, biology or chemistry journal?

Quick Reply