Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB bags at bed bath

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #71
redcoat_or_rebel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

cool, thanks guys

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2013, 05:19 PM   #72
smyrnaquince
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Old thread, I know. I waited too long to go to BB&B and when I finally did, these clearance bags were long gone. I've been looking around ever since for a similar bag. Last week I found one for $5 at Marshall's, near the checkout line. I think it may be the same bag.

bag-package.jpg   bag-weave-detail.jpg   bag-weave-ruler.jpg  

Old 05-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #73
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyrnaquince
Old thread, I know. I waited too long to go to BB&B and when I finally did, these clearance bags were long gone. I've been looking around ever since for a similar bag. Last week I found one for $5 at Marshall's, near the checkout line. I think it may be the same bag.
I may have to run to Marshall's to check that out. Have you used it yet?

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

Old 05-24-2013, 11:24 PM   #74
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I ran to Marshall's today and picked up the only 2 they had. It says its 24x36 and I put it around my 10 gallon pot. It's 16" dia and it fit good. I have a new 15 gallon pot that's 17" and it should fit that also. Pretty good bag 100% polyester. Score!

image-4020596104.jpg   image-3190751471.jpg   image-1260115640.jpg  

Old 05-24-2013, 11:28 PM   #75
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoat_or_rebel
I use a home-sewn muslin bag and don't see how bacteria could be a problem. first, the wort is boiled and second the bag is able to be washed in the washing machine. Synthetics will wear out after a few uses epescially with larger grain bills. It you make sure the stitching is reinforced enough, muslin should last for years.

The only downside is that it is slow to drain but you end up with almost no sediment/flour/etc in your wort and very little trub after fermentation. My last batch only had about 1/4" of trub.

Anyone have any tips for easily draining 10 gallon BIAB batches? The only thing I could think of was a tripod to hang the bag over the keggle.
Here's an easy tip. 2 buckets. Drill a bunch of holes in the bottom of one, put that one inside the other, drop in bag o grains and squeeeeeeeze. Works great!

Old 05-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #76
smyrnaquince
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by divrguy View Post
I may have to run to Marshall's to check that out. Have you used it yet?
I haven't actually tried it yet, but I'm glad you found a couple of them.

I have yet to (personally) see any of these laundry bags with as fine a mesh as a true voile bag. I don't know if it matters, but I do want something finer than the paint strainer bags I've been using.

If you try the Kohl's bags, let me know what you think.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #77
Nightstalker
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am not 100% but those bags look to be about the same mesh as the paint strainer bags at the home improvement stores. Correct me if I am wrong.

I just started doing BIAB. I have done 3 so far and my efficiency is getting better each time.(Thanks to you guys here at HBT) In fact I think it was my second or third batch, I will have to check the notes, but I hit in the low 80's. I am just using a 7.5g pot and I know this bag at the other stores would be too big but if it is a finer mesh than the paint strainer bags, I am all in. I have had a good amount of trub the last few times. Anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 gallon I am thinking I should chalk that up to the double crush though. Being new to the AG style and not seeing the levels of crush aside from the steeping grains, I assumed one pass on the LHBS mill would be good for AG and need the second run for BIAB. It may have been fine enough on the single run but I went ahead and did it twice as it seems to be a common recommendation. I may try on the brew this weekend to do a single crush to see if the amount of trub is less using the paint strainer bags. I just hope my efficiency is still decent. I guess its may be a catch 22. Good efficiency means more trub while low efficiency gives you less trub. Using the same style/brand bag of course.

As for the muslin bags. Are the holes on those considered to be WAY more coarse than a paint strainer bag??? All the muslin bags I have used, like the ones supplied in a Brewers Best kit are much more coarse than the paint strainer bag. In fact I used to use a paint strainer bag in my fermenter to do a fine "straining" after I cooled the wort.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #78
dstranger99
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I'll have to get me one of those laundry bags myself, but just an FYI, I've used the same paint strainer bag I bought at a hardware store for my last 5 batches. And it's still like new !!..........

Primary: Caribou Slobber

Kegged: Stout

Bottled: Cent Blonde, Jakes Brown, Stout

I love Yooper........

Old 06-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #79
dstranger99
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 21

RIP by the way......Heard you died earlier today...........

Nightstalker
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Primary: Caribou Slobber

Kegged: Stout

Bottled: Cent Blonde, Jakes Brown, Stout

I love Yooper........

Old 06-08-2013, 12:25 AM   #80
smyrnaquince
Recipes 

The mesh is finer than a paint strainer bag (which I have used), but a bit coarser than the voile that a BIAB bag is usually made out of. I haven't tried it yet because a friend just made me a bag out of voile. If I didn't have that, I would definitely move to the Marshall's bag.

As for size, I do half-size batches (2.5 gallons instead of 5) on the stovetop. The paint strainer bag fits that pot well. The Marshall's bag would fit a full-size pot for a full batch. I think that the paint strainer bag would not reach the bottom of the pot.

(I use one of those metal fold-out steamer inserts on the bottom of the pot so the bag doesn't burn.)

Quick Reply