Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB to 3 Vessel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 02:38 AM   #1
lonetexan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default BIAB to 3 Vessel

Has anyone that started out with or went to BIAB then switched to 3v? If so, why did you switch?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 02:42 AM   #2
Patirck
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I tried it a few times before I built up my single tier and after I already had in place a three tier with a cooler mlt. I could never get past 50% efficiency with BIAB. I know others do but I could not. I wish it would have worked for me as I could have save a bunch on equipment and footprint for brewing.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:44 AM   #3
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I started out doing smaller batches with BIAB = 2 - 2.5 gallons. Switched to 2 vessel when I wanted to go bigger because I had the stuff available. Lifting a wet grainbag for a 10 gallon batch would not be fun - only reason I can think of right now.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:45 AM   #4
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Hey lonetexan. I am currently doing BIAB in a 44qt Bayou Classic kettle and recently purchased a 82qt Bayou Classic kettle. With this larger kettle I will be switching eBIAB, which will be used as the HLT down the road on a Kal 3v Electric Brewery build. I am looking to switch to the 3v build, just to play with the idea of possibly doing more then just homebrewing one day. If I didn't have that thought in my mind I would just stick to BIAB or eBIAB. I have made 20+ batches with BIAB and have had no problems with a single kettle system. My brewhouse efficiency is 77%. Are you thinking of switching?

Old 11-19-2012, 03:17 AM   #5
lonetexan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7687 View Post
Are you thinking of switching?
The thought had occurred to me. I have been running in the 80-83% efficiency range into the kettle, so I don't know if that would be a factor. SWMBO would probably be against adding more equip so that IS a factor.

Thinking of moving to 10 gal batches, my kettle is just barely big enough and worried about losing eff w/that much grain as well.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I don't know if you've looked into eBIAB setup's, but that is where I am moving to. Can be done indoors (as there is no open flame), brew your beer at a fraction of the costs (electricity vs propane), and you can be constant and efficient of mashing temps (PID controlled heating element). It is a little bit in start up costs, but I believe it is well worth it and pays off in the amount in gas you'd spend. To maintain and possibly increase my efficiency I am planning on constantly recirculating the mash with a pump. I am going to be posting my build with pictures here in the next few weeks, keep an eye out for it if you're interested in going electric.

Quick Reply