Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > 5 gallon pot for biab

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
bxtzd3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default 5 gallon pot for biab

i tried to sift through all the posts, but i want a quick and simple hopefully. i have a 5 gallon pot can i do biab and just add top up to what ever i need? i was going to get a turkey fryer, aluminum pot with a 30qt pot.
don

You are witnessing the birth of Riley's angry Irish Breweries. How lucky for you!

Prim- Angry and Pale, ale
Sec- Angry Irish Smashed Pumkin Ale
Bottled- Angry Mardi Gras Special
Cask- epic failure

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
ong
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Biab is usually done with full volume mash and boil. I use a 42 qt (10.5 gal) pot for 5.5 gal batches, and I wouldn't want to go too much smaller than that.

Oregonians: trade canned goods, homebrew, fresh produce, and more at chowswap.org!

Old 06-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
Scooby_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 21

5 gal pot is too small for BIAB (5 gal batch). 30qt (7.5 gal) is tight, but it should be big enough. I'm not sure if aluminum pots can be used for mashing, because of the bad pH they can create during mashing process.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2005 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 1484

I still use my 5G kettle for partial boil partial mash biab. It'll easilly boil 3.5 gallons & top up to 5 or 6 gallons. but def too small for AG.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 29

It would be fine for smaller batches but if you plan on 5 gal batches then no it is too small. I use a 6 gal pot for 3 gal batches personally.

Primary: Chesterfield wild(1 gal), Schepen
Bottled: SMASH, Chesterfield Wild, Summer In Sommelsdijk, Dog Days Saison
Up coming beers:

Old 06-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
Mozart
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxtzd3 View Post
i tried to sift through all the posts, but i want a quick and simple hopefully. i have a 5 gallon pot can i do biab and just add top up to what ever i need? i was going to get a turkey fryer, aluminum pot with a 30qt pot.
don
In short, yes, you can do BIAB and top up to whatever you need. That's pretty much what I plan on doing for my next batch.

Doing BIAB in a smaller pot like that and topping up afterward is called partial or mini-mashing. Since you're not getting all the grain you need for a full 5 gallon batch, along with the mash water, in a 5 gallon pot, you'll need to backfill with some extract (hence why they call it a partial mash).

But you can certainly do what you are thinking.

In fact, DeathBrewer wrote a great sticky on the subject, in which he does this exact thing with a 5 gallon pot.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy...ng-pics-75231/

If you want to go all grain BIAB, without backfilling with extract, you will need a larger pot and likely a turkey fryer as others have suggested.

Cheers!

Drinking: Hefeweizen
Carbing/Conditioning/Aging: Nothing
Fermenter #1 (6.5g): Empty
Fermenter #2 (6.5g): Biermuncher's Cream of Three Crops
Fermenter #3 & #4 (1.0g): Empty

Old 06-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #7
bxtzd3
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

ya i am looking for a fryer. i found one at the kitchen wharehouse on line for 54. aluminum pot 30 qt with an open base so i can expand.

You are witnessing the birth of Riley's angry Irish Breweries. How lucky for you!

Prim- Angry and Pale, ale
Sec- Angry Irish Smashed Pumkin Ale
Bottled- Angry Mardi Gras Special
Cask- epic failure

Old 06-29-2013, 02:01 AM   #8
DaNewf
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 67 Posts

Yesterday I bought the ingredients to do a 5 gallon batch of BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde. I will be brewing this in my 5 gallon aluminum pot on my electric stove top sometime in the upcoming week. I will be using the Maxi-BIAB method. This is a method of doing BIAB that involves brewing in a pot that has less volume than the final batch size. It involves creating a high gravity wort using one or more dunk sparges and performing post boil dilution to get the desired gravity. One drawback to this method is that you need to increase the bittering hop weight a little to compensate for boiling at a lower volume/higher gravity.

I'm not sure what the policy is here for posting links to other brewing sites so I'll just tell you to google "Maxi-BIAB" for more details.

This will be my first 5 gallon all grain attempt after several brews using BIAB for partial mash batches. Hopefully it will go well.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:30 AM   #9
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 439 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Yes yes, go ahead and post all the links you like to other brewing sites...it's free here!

You may take a slight efficiency hit w/ maxi bag technique, so targeting 4.5 gallons might not be a bad idea since you are brewing a low abv beer to begin with and don't have much room to fall short...jmo

Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Old 06-30-2013, 12:51 AM   #10
DaNewf
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
Yes yes, go ahead and post all the links you like to other brewing sites...it's free here!

You may take a slight efficiency hit w/ maxi bag technique, so targeting 4.5 gallons might not be a bad idea since you are brewing a low abv beer to begin with and don't have much room to fall short...jmo
Good point. I'll check my gravity before topping up. At the rate I drink it, 4.5 gallons is still plenty.

Quick Reply