I am getting ready to do this and am now unsure what is the best thing for me to do. Based on your recommendations, would this be the process assuming 6.375 lbs of grain and 4.5 gallon pot assuming 1 gal boil off. I don't think I can get all the water and grain into that one pot for a 2.5 gal batch so I'll have to sparge...
- Mash in 2 gallons in large pot
- Measure level of water after removing bag then let bag drip over mash pot
- Add enough sparge water to come to 3.5 total gallons in second pot and heat to 170
- put bag in sparge water and stir and let rest for 10 minutes
- add sparge water to main pot and boil
I was confused by you saying to put the bag in the empty pot and add hot tap water (I'll be using bottled) and then heat it up. Doesn't this scorch the grist on the bottom of the pot? Shouldn't I just add the bag to the 170 water?
If I measure my pre-boil gravity, will that let me calculate post boil gravity? I can squeeze the bag if I need to get more gravity, right?