15 or 19 gal kettle for 5 gal batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatrickjKelly79

Reaction score
Ok so I'm trying to decide what size kettle to get as well. I will 99% of the time be brewing 5 gallon batches with a OG of 1.050-1.060. However I do like high gravity beers and would like to try that down the road. What problems would I have brewing a 5 gallon in a 15 or 19 gallon kettle? What I am looking at would have a single weld with a ball valve. I will be using the biab method.

I've brewed 10 gallon batches previously using a 15 gallon kettle which is now my lauter tun without an issue and I now use a 15 gallon keggle so I'm not sure what problems you'd encounter brewing 5 gallon batches in a 15 or 19 gallon kettle.

I don't think the gravity of your beer is going affect the size of the boil kettle you need, just the size of your mash and lauter tuns.

Ok so I'm trying to decide what size kettle to get as well. I will 99% of the time be brewing 5 gallon batches with a OG of 1.050-1.060. .

I think the 15 gallon kettle is your best bet, the 19 gallon will be inconveniently large for 99% of your brewing.

Bigger is not always better, and I feel a 15 will serve your needs better.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

I agree with Wilserbrewer. 15 gallon kettle sounds like your best bet for your setup.

I'm going against the grain and recommending you get the 19 gallon kettle. I get that most if not all of your batches will be 5 gallons but when, and you will decide to brew up a double batch of your popular pale or blonde ale you will be thankful you have the 19 gallon kettle. For 1 reason, boil overs. I use 15 gallon keggles and boiling 14 gallons of liquid in a 15 gallon kettle is a pain in the arse and always results in a bit of a mess.

I brew 11 gallon BIAB batches in a 15 gallon kettle without a problem.
You just need to add a sparge step or top off to your pre-boil volume.

One of the side effects of a brewing a small batch in a very large kettle is the increased surface area will require more heat to maintain a boil and greater boil off rate.

Also if you are trying to do a huge beer that has a 90 minute boil, you don't have to have all of the water in the keggle during the mash, it's ok to add water after you pull the bag if needed.

If you're brewing 5 gal batches of high gravity beer, wouldn't you still have plenty of space in a 10 gal kettle? Or are you just thinking about going for larger batches in the future?

I'm currently doing 5 gal BIAB batches in an 8 gal kettle (5.5-5.7 gal to fermentor.) I managed a 1.073 beer with a 14 lb grain bill, just barely (did have some slopping during mashing and a minor boil over.) Any bigger beer would need a larger kettle (or DME supplementation.) I wish I would have gone for at least a 10 gal kettle, and am now looking at a 16 gal for my next upgrade. That would give me plenty of space for very big beers at 5 gal, and up to 1.065-1.070 beers at 10 gal.

Brew on :mug:

I have a 10 gallon BK, and my first 1.083 beer was a pain. I had to babysit the BK to not boil over, and it seemed like it took forever to walk away for a few minutes. I wish I would have purchased a 15 gallon pot right off the bat, but at the time I had a burner that would barely keep 5 gallons at a full rolling boil. My next "big" beer I brew, I may try Fermcap in the boil.
Just out of curiosity, what burner are you using?

IMO, my buddy just bought a 12.5 gallon pot (50 quart) that's perfect for 5 gallon batches. Slightly smaller and becuase I mainly brew 5 gallon batches big and small... Perfect!

Cheers!

A side issue, perhaps, but since I'm also thinking about moving up to a larger kettle; what is the largest kettle that can still be used easily on the stove top.

I'm doing 2 gallon BIAB batches currently in a 5 gallon kettle, but would like to move up to full 5 gallon batches soon. I'm trying to keep costs down, so I'd rather skip the outdoor burner step for now, if possible.

A side issue, perhaps, but since I'm also thinking about moving up to a larger kettle; what is the largest kettle that can still be used easily on the stove top.

While stoves do vary, a ten gallon pot is still reasonable for most stove top applications. Aluminum pots may be an advantage due to better heat transfer. A clad stainless $$$ may not be advantageous due to less efficient heat transfer. IMO and ymmv.
Cheers

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

I've got the 15 (or so) Bayou Classic and even a 5gal batch seems like a lot of extra space. If i do a 10gal batch i think it may be tight with the "extra" water needed for Biab boil but probably still possible. I'd go with the 15gal. Long term investment maybe the 19gal though. All personal preference.

pgibney, I may be missing part if the conversation here, you are talking about a regular kettle with a valve? I ask because, lifting 80+ pounds off a stove sounds like an accident waiting to happen: 1) I would suggest measuring the height from the top of the stove to the bottom of the microwave, or range hood before looking for a larger pot. 2) Does your stove need to be on full blast to boil 5 gallons of liquid?, Have you filled your 5 G pot with water, and seen what the heat setting needs to be, just in case?

MindenMan,

80 lbs? Five gallons shouldn't be much more than 40, should it? And the grain, even wet, shouldn't add more than 20 lbs or so. Either way, I'm a 6'6" former rugby player and don't think it would be an issue, at least for the short term.

Good idea on the measurement and checking the boil. That makes a ton of sense. Thanks.

I have a 13 gallon pot that I have been using and I have always had more than enough space to add enough water at the beginning to where I will be boiled down to 5 gallons at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back