The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Sake Forum > Sweet rice for sake? Make kome koji from kome koji

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
RobertRGeorge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Sweet rice for sake? Make kome koji from kome koji

Has anyone tried making sake from sweet rice, the kind used for making mochi (mochigome)? Did it work ok?

Has anyone tried to add more rice to previous batch of kome koji to increase the amount on hand? I made some, froze it, my friend asked me for some to make miso with, but I think I have only enough to make a batch of sake and a batch of amizake. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 32

If the mold is still alive you can rehydrate it to get it kicking then spread the kome-koji out in an incubator and reduce the humidity to about 30% if I remember right and it will go into spore production. You can pretuch dust off the spores onto parchment paper and sprinkle that onto newly cooked rice and make a new batch.

I have only used calrose rice and a generic sushi rice from the Walmart. But any short grain rice should work just fine.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

RobertRGeorge Likes This 
Old 01-26-2014, 06:05 AM   #3
RileyStyles
Recipes 

I'm trying this out right now, sort of by accident. We will see how it goes...

Quick Reply