New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Sake Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #931
Jeebas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just started my batch last night. 5 cups of jasmine rice, 4 yeast balls.

I rinsed the rice until the water was clear and then followed sonofgrok's suggestion to fill the water one finger knuckle's length above the rice level. The rice cooker took about 15 minutes to cook at which point I scooped the rice out onto a pan to cool before mixing in with the crushed yeast balls. I sanitized and hot water rinsed everything that came into contact with the rice. I dipped the piece of cheesecloth into boiling water, and then let it dry (a little, it was still damp when I put it on the jar).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #932
BlackPriest
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the info,

What I meant by 5 weeks was waiting this one out for another two, plus starting a new one which would take another 3, = 5 weeks till drinking tasty rice wine. Rereading what I wrote I didn't do a very good job of explaining that, blasted tasty tripple lol.

I guess what I was looking for was for somone to post saying that they had a batch that had the nail polish remover smell and that it didn't get better and was disposed of.

Oh well, I think I'm just going to trash it, use Thai jasmin rice as suggested and much less water.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #933
tuner240
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Just curious, how far along does this look? And what is the consensus of using more yeast? I used six yeast balls on this experiment and around 5-6 cups of cooked rice. Smells yeasty, but good! Started on 2/24/2013.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #934
SFGiantsFan925
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 337 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 199

^ That was started 3 days ago?? Wow, not sure how you already have that much liquid in there. As stated before in this thread, regardless of how it sits, I think its best to let it go the full 21 days at least to clean things up. Kinda like a primary and beer.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #935
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2397 Times on 1554 Posts
Likes Given: 359

Well, I just harvested my wine. I started it on 2/7/13. This batch was 5 cups (dry before cooking) Thai jasmine rice.

image-2348523474.jpg

The end product is dry and tart, not undrinkable but will benefit from flavoring. Once I flavor/sweeten it I'll bottle and pasteurize it.

Long story short, Beer.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:15 PM   #936
HopHeaven
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyS
Well, I just harvested my wine. I started it on 2/7/13. This batch was 5 cups (dry before cooking) Thai jasmine rice.

The end product is dry and tart, not undrinkable but will benefit from flavoring. Once I flavor/sweeten it I'll bottle and pasteurize it.
About how much liquid did you get from 5 cups of rice

Secondary: Skeeter Pee, Cyser, Tree Sap Cider,

Drinking: Milk Mead, Apfelwein, Grape Mead, Cranberry Pomegranate Cider, Cherry Berry Cider

Future: Strawberry/ Raspberry Cider , Apple Ginger Cider

Old 02-27-2013, 11:21 PM   #937
techbrewie
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

So I had a couple packets of super kleer laying around. Mine when from a gross milky looking white to a crystal clear sweet smelling yellow. Not sure if removing all of that stuff was good or bad. I backsweetened with frozen blackberries. Gonna open it up this weekend and give it a taste. I bought 2 1 gallon glass jars and from now on will have 2 gallons of cooked rice fermenting at all times. :-)

Brew long and Prosper... May the wort be with you... Yippeekayay master brewers... You had me at free beer.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #938
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2397 Times on 1554 Posts
Likes Given: 359

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHeaven

About how much liquid did you get from 5 cups of rice
I haven't measured it out exactly yet, but as you can see in the picture, I filled a quart jar, a pint jar, and a little bit in the second pint jar. So, if I had to guess I'd say about 42 oz. It's actually a little more than I was expecting.

Long story short, Beer.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:18 AM   #939
tuner240
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGiantsFan925 View Post
^ That was started 3 days ago?? Wow, not sure how you already have that much liquid in there. As stated before in this thread, regardless of how it sits, I think its best to let it go the full 21 days at least to clean things up. Kinda like a primary and beer.
I know that I kinda overused the yeast, but since the ingredients are so cheap for this I decided to to a super ferment and see where it goes. I did screw up and boil the rice, but I drained it and put the (somewhat pasty) rice into the container a little at a time and sprinkled the crushed yeast over the rice in layers, then mashed everything with my (sterilized) hands (what a mess). I plan to actually steam the rice next time. I might have some extra water in the container since I boiled it, but there was hardly none in the bottom for the first 12 hours until the yellowish cloudy wine started forming. I'm going to let it keep going and see what happens.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:17 AM   #940
bottlebomber
I FWH my IPAs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2606 Times on 2049 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGiantsFan925
Yes.. Mine put off that much liquid after three days, but it was sweet, watery and weak tasting. It definitely uses the full 2 weeks.

Quick Reply