Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Sake Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #81
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2672 Times on 2078 Posts
Likes Given: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesvdustin
How can I make like a three gallon batch of this stuff?

Go big or go home.
You could probably fill a fermenting bucket full of it and do it that way. Then you could line a bottling bucket with a paint strainer bag and dump the mixture in and bottle it from the bucket.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #82
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unferth
What a fascinating thread! Thanks to sonofgrok and saramc.

Quick question to both/any of you: any suggestions for doing a large scale batch? If I keep the yeast ball rice proportions the same, doing a few gallons of this wouldn't be an issue, right?

And would doing hydrometer readings on this be impossible or just contrary to the general blue-collar atmosphere? How can you estimate sugar and ABV levels otherwise?

FYI, my friend who would know such things says this is called "farmers' wine" in Korea.
Because you are starting with all solids, taking an initial gravity would be next to impossible as far as I can tell.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #83
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2672 Times on 2078 Posts
Likes Given: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofgrok

Because you are starting with all solids, taking an initial gravity would be next to impossible as far as I can tell.
It would probably be be better to use an alcoholometer to check the finished product.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:49 PM   #84
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Just started another batch. Trying to make them bigger now because I think I am addicted this stuff it is so good and I burned through the last 2 batches so fast. A bunch of my air force buddies were over last night and burned through the blueberry... they loved it. The one on the left still has two or three weeks to go and the one on the right I just put together.

more-rice-wine.jpg  

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-19-2012, 11:16 PM   #85
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleGoat
@saramc: Any new pics of your batch?
Here you go....the top of yellow sticky indicates the top of the liquid level. It is harder to see all the liquid because the rice is so very broken up. Will also attach a top view, which I may have posted alreadt from 11/15, day 2, compared to top view from just now ( notice bubbles ). The top view from tonight posted twice even though I attached just once.

Still smells amazing, and I stole 1/2 tsp liquid and it is unbelievable. Tomorrow is day 7.

forumrunner_20121119_191022.png

forumrunner_20121119_191305.png

forumrunner_20121119_191652.png
forumrunner_20121119_191340.png  

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 11-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #86
saramc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesvdustin
How can I make like a three gallon batch of this stuff?

Go big or go home.
The photos I post show what is in a two gallon jar, and I used four cups dry rice..specifics around 11/13. But, I have no idea as to what yield I will get on actual wine. The best thing to do is start one batch, perhaps using 3-4 cups dry rice...and see if you like it, before you go large volume. It only takes 21-30 days until wine harvest.

To fill even a one gallon jar you will need to use eight cups dry rice. If using sushi rice, for this, I would use 14 cups water. Jasmine rice I would use double the water. Soak both for 6-8 hours if you can, rinsing until water runs clear. But again, actual wine volume can vary. The way my red batch looks, I am hoping to lose no more than two cups to lees, with a six cup wine yield, 1440ml. So, I am anxious to see what my total yield will be. If anyone learns the true way we can easily determine the ACV on final product, please let us know.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #87
saramc
Recipes 

Batch #2, using sushi rice. Soaked two cups dry sushi rice in a quart jar topped up with water for at least eight hours, and then rinsed until water ran clear. Cooked in rice cooker with 3 1/4 cup cold water via rice cooker for 30 minutes. All water was gone, but rice was a hot sticky mess. Transferred to a rectangular dish when cooled just enough to handle without burning my fingers. Pulverized two yeast balls in a ziplock bag, secured in brown lunch sack, and let my rolling pin smack down. The rolling pin had a KO in round one! Sprinkled ground yeast on top of hot rice, snapped on lid...want the condensation to drip from top down onto the yeast. I assembled this at 1120a yesterday, 11/18....I heard fermentation by 6p. By 0600 today there was liquid in bottom. Just transferred to two quart jars, and you can see all the milky liquid already. So far, sushi rice wins for quickest liquefaction development. Will keep you updated. Photos from the last few minutes....

forumrunner_20121119_194048.png

forumrunner_20121119_194122.png

forumrunner_20121119_194326.png

Old 11-20-2012, 12:22 AM   #88
Unferth
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 17

The rice in all of the pics seems to vary in degrees of mushiness. I'm assuming the mushier the better, right?

more water absorbed=more starches broken down into sugars=more sugars converted to alcohol=less starchy, more potent quaffable goodness=happiness, world peace, yada yada yada.

That sound about right?

Old 11-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #89
kevinstan
Recipes 

Again, I will be starting mine really soon. These all look really good and I can't wait to try it. Might even flavor a few. But has anyone tried clearing this ? Or will anyone be trying when it's done ?

Old 11-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #90
saramc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unferth
The rice in all of the pics seems to vary in degrees of mushiness. I'm assuming the mushier the better, right?

more water absorbed=more starches broken down into sugars=more sugars converted to alcohol=less starchy, more potent quaffable goodness=happiness, world peace, yada yada yada.

That sound about right?
The photo of white sushi rice was 36ish hours from assembly. Sushi rice is sticky, very normal. You still want the grains whole because that grain of rice feeds the yeast ball. No sugar, no nutrient. My red ferment is seven days old today and you cannot even see this was once rice.

Kevin...I will be doing my best to clear. I was advised not to squeeze straining bag and always start with soaked rice that is rinsed until it runs clear. Fingers crossed.

Quick Reply