HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Sake Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 05:09 AM   #571
Leadgolem
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 965 Times on 739 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpolis View Post
Today I finished making my own Dry yeast balls so see if I can mimic the results you all are getting. Here is a pick of the layered yeast ball to rice mixture. I used Calrose rice and 90 grams of dry yeast balls powdered up. The rice was soaked and I decided to heat the rice on a stove with water rather than steam rice like I do for Japanese Sake. It will be fun to see where this goes.
I will be interested to know what changes you get in the flavor profile from using wheat.

Though I wonder if it is going to be possible to separate that flavor addition from the differences in fungus cocktails.

I do have some wheat berries. Maybe I should cook some and add them in with another batch for comparisons sake.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #572
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedev View Post
how do you get rid off the extra strong yeasty smell?
I don't get that smell at all. Just a real rich sweet alcohol smell.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #573
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
how do you get rid off the extra strong yeasty smell?
J...I have not gone back thru your posts, but didn't you ferment this in the 90s due to where you live? If so, the high temp may have cobtributed to yeasty aroma and/or any weird tastes. If you repeat have you given any thought to trying to lower the temp? I have used 20 oz PET bottles filled 3/4 way with water and then frozen, dropped bottles(s) as needed into the must. Have even treated fermenter like ice cream maker and surrounded by ice and salt. Just a thought.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 02-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #574
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:

Perhaps I should not have so much water when I cook the rice. I used almost 3 to 1 ratio, coz the rice was very dry, so I added more water.

What sort of water to rice ratio did you guys use?
I have settled upon this method, and it works well with all the rice I have tried. Sticky, sweet, sushi and Thai Hom Mali Jasmine rice, fermenting for 25 days at 70F, yield from four cups dry rice is typically 1.75-2 quarts of wine:
1. Rinse dry rice until water runs clear
2. Soak rice in water until volume of rice increases by one third, then rinse until water runs clear
3. For my rice cooker(Wolfgang Puck), I use 1.5 cups water to the now soaked rice and process for 20 minutes. I found when I did not soak I had to use more water and more time. I also steam in a traditional bamboo steamer, but my rice cooker will deal with more rice. I have not noticed a difference with either cooking method of the rice, as each method always results in individual rice grains which are soft on the outside and firm on the inside. But not all rice cookers are the same, so you have to adapt for your device.

Motto: quel che sara sara

OG_IBU_Bunghole Likes This 
Old 02-03-2013, 04:06 AM   #575
Leadgolem
Recipes 

Ok, well I intended to harvest my big batch of rice wine today. Unfortunately it's not ready. When I actually handled the rice goop by hand I was sure. It still has hard lumps of unsaccharified rice in it. That was disappointing, but here are some pictures anyway.

This batch has been fermenting for 26 days, but not in the same location as the original. I think there is a slight difference in temperature, which would account for the additional time the batch is going to need. I will be checking on it again in another week.

This is the first time I have had anything growing in my airlock. I actually broke that airlock accidentally while trying to clean it thoroughly.

bbd26fail1.jpg   bbd26fail2.jpg   bbd26fail3.jpg   bbd26fail4.jpg   bbd26fail5.jpg  

Old 02-03-2013, 04:08 AM   #576
Leadgolem
Recipes 

I put everything back in the bucket and installed a new airlock. Here are the rest of the pictures.

bbd26fail6.jpg   bbd26fail7.jpg   bbd26fail8.jpg   bbd26fail9.jpg  

Old 02-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #577
matteroftaste
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

so mine has been going for a few days and there is definately liquid there, but i have fuzzy white mould on top of the rice, with black spots on the tips. should i skim it off? is this normal koji spores? it smells like there is alchohol production going on...

please forgive any colloquialisms....

Old 02-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #578
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteroftaste View Post
so mine has been going for a few days and there is definately liquid there, but i have fuzzy white mould on top of the rice, with black spots on the tips. should i skim it off? is this normal koji spores? it smells like there is alchohol production going on...
I almost always get white fuzzies but have not gotten the black though I think others have mentioned it previously in the thread. I'd say you are ok but no guarantee. Only one way to find out! Run with it!

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #579
t7181mars
Recipes 

image-571355764.jpg

Almost 1 week in. Thanks for this thread, SonofGrok.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:57 AM   #580
Leadgolem
Recipes 

I have another batch of rice wine I forgot about. This one is only about 1/2 quart I made with some leftover rice from dinner. I'm going to let it go to rice wine vinegar.

Quick Reply