Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Sake Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 04:59 AM   #541
kosciel4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What percentage would you estimate it was? And do you think it was too sweet at that final gravity? I've bottled 600ml at 1.060 and 1.050 so far and will bottle my next at 1.025. Cold crashed both of what I bottled already. Figure I'll trial and error heat, duration and recipe on my first go at this. Obviously my first 2 bottles were to soon, but it will help gauge the taste evolution.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 06:19 AM   #542
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 964 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

If I was to guess, about 20%. The burn is similar to a wine I made that is 18.7%, this does seem to be a touch stronger. I don't think it was to sweet. Actually, it was slightly tangy, so there was a little acetic acid present. Honestly, I think that actually adds to the flavor at this point. Actually, it was a little on the dry side. It smelled mostly of plum. It did have a yeasty aftertaste.

I just tasted the clear layer from the green bottle. No more yeast taste, but a slightly earthy aftertaste. It reminds me of mushrooms. Very smooth. My sample really isn't big enough to get a gravity reading without wasting more of it then I'm willing to from this batch. My guess at the gravity is based on the lack of sweetness in the liquid, so it is just a guess. I'll get you better data from the large batch that will be harvested this weekend. Both batches have been made from cheap long grain rice, which I believe will also greatly influence the flavor.

I already posted these, but...
Pic 1 Day 25, day before harvesting.
Pic 2 What I yielded after harvesting.
Pic 3 What it looked like after 2 days in the fridge.

I hope that helps.

day25.jpg   ricewineharvest-day-26.jpg   ricewine2daysfridge.jpg  

Old 01-31-2013, 01:42 PM   #543
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosciel4 View Post
What final gravity are you guys bottling at? I realize an o.g. cannot be taken, but Ive reasoned vinegar has a gravity of its own so perhaps by doing a reading every few days that transformation could be avoided. (I assume bottle around .990-1.050) Thanks
The gravity of vinegar has nothing to do with formation of vinegar...acetobacter aceti is the reason it forms. The specific gravity ("Sp.G.") of a liquid tells you how much more or less dense the liquid is than water. Water has a specific gravity of 1.000 (near 4°C). If a liquid is more dense than water, then its specific gravity is greater than 1. If it is less dense than water, then the specific gravity is less than 1.

Since we start with solids for this ferment there really is no reliable home method to determine the ACV. You can try a vinometer but those seem to be hit or miss. The history of this wine has indicated that pasteurization is the way to stabilize for consumption. So if you bottle and have any residual sugar, ie SG greater than 1.000, you really need to consider pasteurization, or keep it cold but realize it will still ferment at a snail's pace.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 01-31-2013, 01:51 PM   #544
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
I'm sure someone has done it. So what spices or fruits have been infused successfully ie blueberries vanilla beans etc. for good flavors and what have failed also what is the best way to infuse, add them in the beginning with the rice so they can take part in the break down and fermentation Or infuse in the finished product after draining/straining it? Also how are you guys cleaning the fruits of wild yeasts? Boiling, rinsing in spirits, or is the alcohol content of this high enough to do that on its own?
As far as how to deal with any potential wild yeast from your fruit you need to look at your source. If you are using fresh/frozen you can dose with k-meta just like winemaking, if you are using canned fruit/fruit juice you do not need to do anything--but you can always dose with k-meta if you want to. If you add the fruit after the wine is harvested I would think the alcohol content is high enough to prevent a wild ferment from taking over.
I am tempted to add some apple juice around Day 20 of a 30 day ferment, just to see how that turns out.
As far as what I have flavored with..I am hooked on vanilla bean and Bosc pears, and Asian pear with strawberry. Thinking blueberry with ginger will be pleasant. All added after cold shocking, fill jar with fruit, add wine, leave at room temp for 36 hours and then move to refrig. I remove the fruit once it has served its purpose and I notice the beginning of loss of color, typically no longer than eight days.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 01-31-2013, 02:21 PM   #545
Marauder
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Saramc

Thank you, not a lot of knowledge about wine making, and haven't done many fruit beers. This is my first experiment into wine actually, and I guess is almost closer to brewing with the starch conversion etc. thanks for the info.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:33 PM   #546
KegWrangler
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I was thinking about using a hydrometer and a refractometer to divine the final alcohol content. I've done this with beers in the past when I forget to take an OG reading.

I'm only a week into my test batches (below) so results will have to wait until mid-Feb.

Batch #1 is 2 cups (dry) jasmine + a 10g yeast ball
Batch #2 is 2 cups (dry) sticky rice + a yeast ball

Reason: Correction

Old 01-31-2013, 05:55 PM   #547
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegWrangler View Post
I was thinking about using a hydrometer and a refractometer to divine the final alcohol content. I've done this with beers in the past when I forget to take an OG reading.

I'm only a week into my test batches (below) so results will have to wait until mid-March.

Batch #1 is 2 cups (dry) jasmine + a 10g yeast ball
Batch #2 is 2 cups (dry) sticky rice + a yeast ball
Mid march? You want a 3 week ferment. Not a 3 month! Lol

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-31-2013, 06:15 PM   #548
Hopper77
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts

How much end product is everybody getting? I see a lot of 2 cup batches as well as varying sizes. I did a 11 cup batch and got just under a gallon. That was the batch I made on the stove top. How much wine are people getting from steamed rice?

Old 01-31-2013, 06:28 PM   #549
KegWrangler
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofgrok View Post
Mid march? You want a 3 week ferment. Not a 3 month! Lol
Wait, what month are we in??? OK, make that Mid-Feb...

Old 02-01-2013, 01:25 AM   #550
Hopper77
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts

Ok so the glass I had the other night was awesome. Now after it has cold crashes and cleared it tastes different. Not necessarily bad per say.....just not as good as it was. I sweetened a glass with some sugar and it kind of helped. I'm going to being it back to room temp and taste again then stir it up to get the white stuff back into it to see if that brings it back. If all else fails ill flavor with pears

Quick Reply