Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Sake Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #531
Marauder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pemberton, NJ
Posts: 147
Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I'm sure someone has done it. So what spices or fruits have been infused successfully ie blueberries vanilla beans etc. for good flavors and what have failed also what is the best way to infuse, add them in the beginning with the rice so they can take part in the break down and fermentation Or infuse in the finished product after draining/straining it? Also how are you guys cleaning the fruits of wild yeasts? Boiling, rinsing in spirits, or is the alcohol content of this high enough to do that on its own?

__________________
Marauder is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #532
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,307
Liked 2688 Times on 2086 Posts
Likes Given: 339

Default

3 days now and mine has released enough liquid that it's almost covered the top of the rice. I opened it and took a whiff, it smelled delicious in a very yeasty way, and made my eyes and nose burn assuring me that it's releasing a ton of Co2. Also, I think what some people may be thinking is mold is actually just hydrated yeast ball. I know I had a lot of yeast ball mixture on the top of mine, and it has hydrated and resembles fuzzy mold but there's no way mold could have developed this soon.

__________________
bottlebomber is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #533
bknifefight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 1,904
Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default

A squeeze of a lemon into a small glass of rice wine was very nice two nights ago.

__________________
bknifefight is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #534
Marauder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pemberton, NJ
Posts: 147
Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknifefight
A squeeze of a lemon into a small glass of rice wine was very nice two nights ago.
Glad to hear citrus went well. I thought about adding a squeeze of juice from a fresh orange, and tossing a vanilla bean into the jar to soak, or I could use dried sweet orange peel like what is used in some witbier? (I've heard OJ ferments awful)
__________________
Marauder is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 09:08 PM   #535
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sonofgrok's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Waco, TX
Posts: 1,148
Liked 251 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Glad to hear citrus went well. I thought about adding a squeeze of juice from a fresh orange, and tossing a vanilla bean into the jar to soak, or I could use dried sweet orange peel like what is used in some witbier? (I've heard OJ ferments awful)
I always add fruit juice but always after fermentation. I have done fresh squeezed pomegranate and blueberry both with great success.
__________________

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

sonofgrok is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 10:03 PM   #536
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,982
Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
3 days now and mine has released enough liquid that it's almost covered the top of the rice. I opened it and took a whiff, it smelled delicious in a very yeasty way, and made my eyes and nose burn assuring me that it's releasing a ton of Co2. Also, I think what some people may be thinking is mold is actually just hydrated yeast ball. I know I had a lot of yeast ball mixture on the top of mine, and it has hydrated and resembles fuzzy mold but there's no way mold could have developed this soon.
Rice doesn't have any diastatic power to self convert, though. So, the enzymes must be coming from somewhere.
__________________
weirdboy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 11:42 PM   #537
GunnyB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 231
Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooda2008

Gunny,

All rice is gluten free. When a rice is "glutinous", they're describing its stickiness as similar to gluten. The problem is more likely that something got into your brew. As others have said, this wine is susceptible to infection.
Oh, I thought the gluten free was some kind of fat free/ diet thing. Anyhoo...the Thai jasmine is coming along swimmingly. I probably should have worked with the first batch more but straining it turned into a total disaster.
__________________
GunnyB is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 01:55 AM   #538
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,307
Liked 2688 Times on 2086 Posts
Likes Given: 339

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy

Rice doesn't have any diastatic power to self convert, though. So, the enzymes must be coming from somewhere.
Right, the "yeast ball" must have some sort of enzyme in it. I would actually really like to learn more about what is in those things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnyB

Oh, I thought the gluten free was some kind of fat free/ diet thing. Anyhoo...the Thai jasmine is coming along swimmingly. I probably should have worked with the first batch more but straining it turned into a total disaster.
What "gluten free" rice means is that it is certified to have not been harvested or processed on equipment that is shared with wheat. It doesn't matter for most people, but some folks are literally one bagel away from death so it is a concern for them.
__________________
bottlebomber is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 04:14 AM   #539
kosciel4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 11
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

What final gravity are you guys bottling at? I realize an o.g. cannot be taken, but Ive reasoned vinegar has a gravity of its own so perhaps by doing a reading every few days that transformation could be avoided. I am on day 10 of two batches, a 4 gallon that I've kept at 90 degrees which has a reading of 1.038 and a 3 gallon kept around 72 which is still to thick to get a reading. Perhaps my logic is flawed. Has anyone that has bottled taken readings? (I assume bottle around .990-1.050) Thanks

__________________
kosciel4 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 04:17 AM   #540
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Leadgolem's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 3,716
Liked 964 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Default

I haven't been taking readings. I'll get some from the big batch this weekend. Based on the taste, I'd guess my small batch was around 1.010 - 1.015. Though that's just a guess.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy
I'd rather work with yeast than work with people.
Leadgolem is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gelatinizing rice for rice wine? Newton Wine Making Forum 17 09-16-2014 03:26 AM
SaTho - Thai traditional rice wine arachnyd Wine Making Forum 6 07-23-2014 12:18 AM
Rice wine from flaked rice? Newton Wine Making Forum 13 10-15-2010 04:22 PM
Making some traditional Muscadino (planning stage) Starderup Wine Making Forum 3 06-17-2010 02:17 PM
Traditional red wine Celestyal Wine Making Forum 3 04-13-2010 01:20 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS