Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Sake Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #521
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeslad View Post
...and im still here!!
Lol. I not only don't clear and decant, I actually shake mine before pouring and I'm still kicking around.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 02:36 AM   #522
cpesko
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 21

So I was reading a write up about this wine. And says this. Rice Beer. Take the fermented sweet rice but in a 600ml coke squeeze out some air screw top tight and ferment until hard in the fridge. Says do not filter the rice out. full of nutrients.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:08 AM   #523
GunnyB
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

I ended up chucking my first batch because it didn't taste quite right (sour and yeasty). In hindsight I think it may have had to do with my choice of rice which was gluten free and was what we had in the cupboard. Started a new batch using Thai jasmine and after two days it is smelling, and tasting better.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:53 AM   #524
Hopper77
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts

Just racked mine of the rice. Regardless of the earlier bad vinegar taste it now tastes amazing. I got just shy of a gallon from 11 cups of jasmine rice cooked on the stove top. I poured one glass I'm drinking now and the rest is cold crashing.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:58 AM   #525
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 964 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeslad View Post
that looks great mate, just what mine looks like after standing, i didn't decant mine as i found even tipping the bottle up to pour a shot disturbs the sediment so i usually drank some with the wine...and im still here!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofgrok View Post
Lol. I not only don't clear and decant, I actually shake mine before pouring and I'm still kicking around.
Oh, I don't think it will hurt me. I do have a "yeasty" or "bready" aftertaste I don't really care for is all. In pretty much everything else I've brewed that has been due to yeast particles suspended in the brew.

I'm trying to reduce the particulates to see if it that changes the flavor profile. I'm not worried about getting a crystal clear brew. The nice thing about this stuff is that it definitely doesn't need to age, even though it's clearly very high in alcohol. No "hot" alcohol at all. That means that I don't really want to just let the stuff sit in the bottle for a month or more while the yeasty flavor goes away.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:01 AM   #526
Hopper77
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts

Also I dropped my alcometer into it and it read just under 20 proof. No way of telling exactly how high it is because the alcometer starts at 20

Old 01-30-2013, 04:04 AM   #527
Ostomo517
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 575 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Cant wait to start tomorrow, found the yeast balls .99 cents for 12. The older lady behind the counter at the Asian market when she rang me up said "Ohhhh you make some good stuff huh? Bring me sample sometime." Lol

Old 01-30-2013, 04:23 AM   #528
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 964 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper77 View Post
Also I dropped my alcometer into it and it read just under 20 proof. No way of telling exactly how high it is because the alcometer starts at 20
Since there is unfermented sugar in the mix, I don't think an alcoholometer is capable of taking an accurate reading. Those things are designed to measure distilled spirits, which contain only alcohol and water is large amounts. I'm pretty sure the presence of the dissolved sugar would completely screw up the reading.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #529
wooda2008
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnyB View Post
I ended up chucking my first batch because it didn't taste quite right (sour and yeasty). In hindsight I think it may have had to do with my choice of rice which was gluten free and was what we had in the cupboard. Started a new batch using Thai jasmine and after two days it is smelling, and tasting better.
Gunny,

All rice is gluten free. When a rice is "glutinous", they're describing its stickiness as similar to gluten. The problem is more likely that something got into your brew. As others have said, this wine is susceptible to infection.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #530
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 121

I do think the flavor of the rice has a lot to do with the flavor of the final product as well though. Mine being thai jasimine which I find very sweet and pleasant to eat as rice gives me a sweet pleasant drink that I think tastes a lot like thai jasmine. I could imagine getting a pretty bleh wine using like a pilaf style rice. yuck.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Quick Reply