Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Sake Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #481
blefferd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I started a new batch today my last one was a failure lol. I think the reason was I did not soak the rice before I steamed it.

This time I soaked 5 cups of Premium Sweet rice for about 8-9 hours steamed it and used 5 yeast balls.

I will let you know how it turns out!

Beer and Kalashnikov since 2007

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #482
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Finally getting going on this, and started my rice soaking. The sweet rice the Chinese lady sold me for this is the most polished and shortest grain rice I've ever seen. There are no grooves or traces of where the germ was, an they are almost totally round. I'll post back in 3 weeks.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:42 PM   #483
natedoggaz
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedoggaz View Post
I'm about 1 week now into the fermentation and both batches are a gelatinous mess... they are both very liquidy as well. I take them and swirl the contents around... has anyone experienced this where the liquid does not separate?
So I guess the gelatinous mess I have is a common thing and to be expected in brewing this sake?

I do not have any separation of liquid as of yet like I have seen some others have.

ND

6 gallon primary 2/19 - English Pale Ale 1.045 OG
1 gallon jug: Grape juice wine (peaches added)
Bottled 1/25 - American Honey Porter FG=1.015 5.9%
Bottled 2/6 - 1 gallon EdWort's Apfelwein
Bottled 2/11: Sonofgrok's Sake recipe 3x16oz bottles blueberry, raspberry, and blackberry
Future: Skeeter Pee (its lemon season in AZ, already juiced over 36 fresh lemons!)

Old 01-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #484
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedoggaz View Post
So I guess the gelatinous mess I have is a common thing and to be expected in brewing this sake?

I do not have any separation of liquid as of yet like I have seen some others have.

ND
What rice did you use? It seems people using the "sweet rice"es have something similar to what you have. I have only ever used thai jasmine so can't speak knowledgeably to any others.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-27-2013, 02:16 AM   #485
natedoggaz
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofgrok View Post
What rice did you use? It seems people using the "sweet rice"es have something similar to what you have. I have only ever used thai jasmine so can't speak knowledgeably to any others.
Hey Sonofgrok,

I used Thai Jasmine rice...GAO THOM SO1 (whatever that means)
Straight from the oriental market.

So if this is normal, I am probably OK.
I cannot believe how much liquid is in there. The rice went in pretty dry...its like white sloppy mud in there now... =)

ND

6 gallon primary 2/19 - English Pale Ale 1.045 OG
1 gallon jug: Grape juice wine (peaches added)
Bottled 1/25 - American Honey Porter FG=1.015 5.9%
Bottled 2/6 - 1 gallon EdWort's Apfelwein
Bottled 2/11: Sonofgrok's Sake recipe 3x16oz bottles blueberry, raspberry, and blackberry
Future: Skeeter Pee (its lemon season in AZ, already juiced over 36 fresh lemons!)

Old 01-27-2013, 04:28 AM   #486
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 960 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Here's what I got out of mine harvesting from a 1 quart jar on day 26. Minus about 1/2 an ounce from tasting just before I took the picture. I was really astonished at how much of the rice had liquefied. The measuring cup has the remaining solids in it. It is a 1/2 cup measuring cup.

I stuck the starch mass in a dish towel I use for making cheese on a regular basis. I found that I was able to get much more liquid out of the starch mass by first squeezing, then releasing the pressure and breaking up the mass with my fingers. Then squeezing again.

The taste is fruity, with a slight acidic twang. Not unpleasantly acidic, definitely enough to let you know it's there though. The aroma reminds me of bread. There is a slightly bready aftertaste too.

Lots of alcohol. I would suspect this to be around the 20% mark as speculated by others. It isn't a hot flavor though. Really it's very mild and smooth for the power in it.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with this batch. I hope the big one comes out as well.

ricewineharvest-day-26.jpg  

Old 01-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #487
jadedev
Recipes 

From: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/firs...e-help-356978/

>>YOU WANT THE RICE TO FERMENT AT APPROX 90 F.
>>FERMENTATION SHOULD ONLY TAKE ABOUT 7 DAYS.

What do you guys think of this? 7 days???

This is my brew after 9 days, in how 80's and 90's degree climate. Am hoping it would clarify the liquid but doesnt look like it's gonna happen

rciewine.jpg  

Old 01-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #488
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedev View Post
From: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/firs...e-help-356978/

>>YOU WANT THE RICE TO FERMENT AT APPROX 90 F.
>>FERMENTATION SHOULD ONLY TAKE ABOUT 7 DAYS.

What do you guys think of this? 7 days???

This is my brew after 9 days, in how 80's and 90's degree climate. Am hoping it would clarify the liquid but doesnt look like it's gonna happen
It is common knowledge that the warmer the temp, typically the faster the ferment. All yeast have an ideal temp range, and most of us that have been making this follow the advice of the people we buy the yeast from. So far, the answer I get from every sales person and customer I have spoken with as I hunt for yeast balls is: "the cooler the better and harvest your wine in 3-4 weeks, use your taste buds to tell you when...but no more than one month". Not to mention the online research of articles, blogs, etc.
If that is the temp you have to work with, or choose to work with....please let us know how that works out for you. I would expect a short ferment would definitely impact the clarity simply because the enzymes have such a short time to do their thing, but if it tastes good--does it matter?

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 01-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #489
lakeslad
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 21

well day 26 and i have just harvested my second batch, 1.5 liters of 20% alcohol for a few pounds(£..lol) is well worth it.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God''s waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!

Old 01-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #490
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

The sweet rice definitely cooks up into a big rubbery gelatinous mass. I'm not sure this is the best rice to use for this, but we will see. It has an absolutely amazing aroma though, much more aromatics than jasmine or any rice short of Basmati. I am thinking a 50/50 blend of Jasmine/Sweet next time.

Quick Reply